Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Pesach cleaning tips

curlyhead

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 3:56 am
Now that we are getting closer to pesach I was wondering if anyone has any tips to make pesach cleaning easier and less work. And how to avoid the erev pesach stress

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 4:05 am
I'm doing preliminary things now over the next several weeks. Now is a good time to start purging your living spaces/closets/drawers/basements of things you can live without. We're donating clothing items, household goods, etc. to the disabled veterans' thrift store here (they pick-up !). Next, we rearrange the furniture, clean behind/under where heavy pieces were at, and steam-clean the carpeting and upholstery. Then, the curtains/draperies get cleaned. By that point, it's almost time to start using up all the chometz...the key is like with anything else: try not to wait until the last minute! Easier said than done! Wink

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 4:11 am
Rivky, I just found a great thread immediately after I wrote the response directly above this one: its a Poll on Pesach Pre-Cleaning...check it out! Wink

JEWISHMAMA

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 5:48 am
if you are going to redo your kitchen do it b 4 pesach. One room less to do.

chen

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 8:06 am
You can clean your freezer now and keep it clean by putting paper down on the bottom and double-bagging everything that's not already in a hermetically sealed package.

He*Sings*To*Me

Post Tue, Feb 28 2006, 2:37 pm
chen wrote:
You can clean your freezer now and keep it clean by putting paper down on the bottom and double-bagging everything that's not already in a hermetically sealed package.

Thumbs Up Thumbs Up

lucky

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:19 am
I use a steamer. It makes pesach cleaning soo much easier.

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:34 am
Quote:
if you are going to redo your kitchen do it b 4 pesach. One room less to do.

Yep. I moved into a new apartment with a brand new kitchen just for me last year January. Kept one cabinet empty for Pesach, easiest Pesach I ever made.

TzenaRena

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:43 am
lucky what do you do wioth the steamer, and how much does it cost?

southernbubby

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 10:44 am
We used to put the plastic toys in the bathtub with the kids and the stuffed toys were put into pillowcases and then into the machine. We boiled the candlesticks in a large pot to get them ready for Pesach.

ButterflyGarden

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 12:04 pm
Southernbubby: I didn't even think about the toys. Good call!!

Make sure you write down where you hid your chumetz. Two years ago, several months after pesach, we where at someone's house for shabbat. I looked up by chance and asked why they kept a large tinfoil ball on the lighting fixture above the table. Turns out they had forgotten that they hid it there for the bedikah and had the seder under chumetz!!!

curlyhead

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 7:17 pm
Quote:
We used to put the plastic toys in the bathtub with the kids and the stuffed toys were put into pillowcases and then into the machine. We boiled the candlesticks in a large pot to get them ready for Pesach.

Why do you have to boil the candlesticks? Unless you put them directly on the table. I just polish them and make sure not to put them on the table.

chen

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 7:20 pm
RivkaBatya wrote:
why they kept a large tinfoil ball on the lighting fixture above the table. Turns out they had forgotten that they hid it there for the bedikah and had the seder under chumetz!!!

do they normally have chometz in the lighting fixture? seems awfully silly to hide chometz for the bedikah in places where you'd never have chometz anyway.

chen

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 7:21 pm
Rivky wrote:
Quote:

Why do you have to boil the candlesticks? Unless you put them directly on the table. I just polish them and make sure not to put them on the table.

Yet another argument in favor of NOT putting your leichter on the table.

lucky

Post Wed, Mar 01 2006, 11:01 pm
I have a small steamer. 2cup capacity. It costs approx 60-70 dollars.You can shop around, try e-bay,sometimes you can get a bargain. I use it for everything. It is very good for cleaning steams, refridge, freezer, chairs, It does a good job on carpet stains. Makes cleaning the car much easier too. It also is good for cleaning jewelry.

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 1:09 am
Thanks lucky, it sounds like a good investment. Are these steamers durable? I once bought a wet-dry deep cleaning vaccuum for my upholstery and carpet cleaning, and alot of the parts got ruined very quickly. Sad . It was $200, and I had very little use from it.

lucky

Post Thu, Mar 02 2006, 9:17 am
I don't know how durable these are, I bought mine last year and it is still working. (2 small plastic parts are already broken, but it does not affect the machine.) I have in the past used a comercial steamer. It is much more powerful, but they cost $1000.

hisorerus

Post Wed, Mar 15 2006, 11:43 am
http://pesachsurvival.blogspot.com/
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics