Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Great clip from Britans Got Talent
1  2  Next

NativeMom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:06 pm
I don't know if anyone watches this show but someone sent this to me in an e-mail and I thought it was great. It really shows how people tend to just assume things based on appearance...it wouldn't let me just post the video.
Youtube-SusanBoyle

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:09 pm
I watched that. I'm not sure why a large plain woman should be assumed to be talentless. Aren't most opera singers large?

mimivan

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:11 pm
I was going to post this...it made me think about all these threads about how people are too obsessed with looks nowadays (even in our world)

NativeMom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:12 pm
I don't know but did you see how everyone reacted when she got on stage? It was awful! What got me was that her singing seemed effortless and I found that incredible. You could hardly tell she was singing!

Maya

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:13 pm
I think the worst of all were the judges' first reactions when she first came on stage. They should have at least pretend to be neutral instead of making all those faces at her before she sang.

Barbara

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:17 pm
Maya wrote:
I think the worst of all were the judges' first reactions when she first came on stage. They should have at least pretend to be neutral instead of making all those faces at her before she sang.

Column re people's reactions. Interesting and well-written, (IMHO)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/.....olumn

Maya

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:25 pm
Barbara wrote:
Maya wrote:

Column re people's reactions. Interesting and well-written, (IMHO)

http://www.chicagotribune.com/.....olumn

Thanks. That was great.

mimivan

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:27 pm
Barbara
compelling article, but I hope she got her sister's permission before publishing!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:35 pm
mimivan wrote:
Barbara
compelling article, but I hope she got her sister's permission before publishing!

I second that.

I felt very uncomfortable watching that Youtube clip and seeing the expressions on the faces of the audience and judges before she started singing. That was awful.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:44 pm
is it just me, but I don't think she is weird looking at all. she looks friendly, pleasant, and seems to have quite a personality, the way she walked on stage and spoke in front of all those people.

a small scottish village is not a big city...I bet she looks just like most of her neighbours.

#1cook

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:54 pm
WOW!!!!!! what a voice

Mama Bear

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 4:57 pm
this is one of the pitfalls of TV. Would you ever find a frum person disparaging another person to their face because of their looks? The majority of us are polite to the faces of people who look different. we may talk behind their backs, but just imagine an audition for choir or something with the judges making faces at a less-than-pretty contestant. ugh. The whole world of entertainment revolves around looks, and reporters/talk show hosts dont hesitate to disparage anyone they dont like. this goes totally against the rules of loshon hora. Most shows on TV promote rreally bad values, including loshon hora and disdaining in public anyone the host doesnt like...

ShakleeMom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 5:34 pm
I just cried...

sequoia

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 5:49 pm
Why all the fuss???
She is a normal-looking middle-aged lady.

But even if she weren't, aren't we all aware that looks and singing talent *aren't actually correlated*?

Just because pretty women tend to succeed in show business doesn't mean that non-pretty women don't have talent. It just means they're not the ones succeeding.

But there's not any actual correlation between these two aspects of a person, and we all know that! So why, why, why is it surprising that she can sing well?

And this extends only to women. We expect male opera stars to be enormous. We expect male rock stars to be grungy. But women in show business are judged primarily based on their looks.

Stupid.

Raisin

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 5:59 pm
actually the person who won the first series of this show was a very dorky looking man called paul potts. (search on you tube) men can be grungy or fat but dorky men do not often succeed, except as comediens.

mom23

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 6:00 pm
I've watched this clip a few times now. Her voice is incredible and I always get a lump in my throat watching it. Beautiful, simply beautiful.

mimivan

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 6:02 pm
You know, I think the whole judges reaction bit was staged (and select people in the audience might have been actors..) what the judges didn't know ahead of time she could sing? Their initial behavior was so mean it was almost exaggerated...I wonder if the whole thing was planned (or maybe they really are that mean)

leomom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 6:04 pm
What bothers me about this is that she is a big story because "even though" she's middle-aged, ordinary-looking, unstylish, etc., SHE CAN SING!!

Now I think she is wonderful, actually, and I love her spunk. But the implication of all this sudden societal soul-searching ("wake-up call") is that since she has this redeeming quality of being TALENTED, we can overlook her physical appearance.

OK, so what if she wasn't talented? Then we could continue to mock her, or at best, ignore her?

What about admiring a person not for their looks, and not even for their talents, but rather for the kind of life they lead? (And it seems like this woman leads a good life as well.)

leomom

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 6:06 pm
mimivan wrote:
You know, I think the whole judges reaction bit was staged (and select people in the audience might have been actors..) what the judges didn't know ahead of time she could sing? Their initial behavior was so mean it was almost exaggerated...I wonder if the whole thing was planned (or maybe they really are that mean)

From what I've read (if you choose to believe it), the screeners had heard her sing, but the judges had not. Whether they had plants in the audience to roll their eyes and laugh... could very well be.

ss321

Post Thu, Apr 23 2009, 6:07 pm
I was so disgusted when I saw the clip the first time. We dont have a TV, but if we did, I would never let shows like "american idol" be viewed-ever. The values promoted on those shows (looks are all that are important, and its ok to publicly humilate a person, call them "disgusting" and horrid in front of millions of viewers) make regular sitcoms look like epidoses of Mr. Rogers in comparison. And this particular clip? it was sickening. to see those judges faces? and the audience members boo her BEFORE they even heard her? why, because she wasnt wearing somthing sleazy and she was above the age of 20?
Anyway Im happy for this lady
and, FTR, there are many opera singers who are very overweight. I havent seen an opera singer who is particularly "gorgeous" either. Of course most of these audience viewers wouldnt know that because I bet their idea of culture is a trip to a local dance club complete with some drinks and the whole shebang.......
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics