Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey
20 Clove Garlic Chicken in the Crockpot
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:02 am
Chickpea wrote:
ra_mom, this recipe sounds delish! One question: I know chicken is more flavorful with the skin left on, but do you think it will come out bad if I remove the skin before I make it? It's just that I'm trying to avoid all the fat that will end up on the bottom with all the caramelized onions.
It comes out juicier when the skin is left on but you can take it off. Just make sure that you do not overcook the chicken. I would do no more than six hours on low. (I use a timer to turn the crockpot on and off as I am out of the house longer than that. I do just 5.5 hours on low for a pkg of chicken drumsticks with skin on). How much chicken will you be cooking?

ra_mom

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:05 am
pickle321 wrote:
Can this be done with brown rice?
It does not this way. But if you have time to play around with it I'm sure it would work if you adjust the cooking times, possibly water amount, maybe just use quick cooking brown rice...

etky

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:06 am
Amarante wrote:
The skin doesn't hold the chicken together. Very Happy Not sure if you are being serious. No point at all in keeping skin on chicken cooked in the crockpot - it becomes a rubbery inedible substance and just adds needless fat to the food. Feh.
I do a "rotisserie" chicken in the crockpot and remove the skin as well.

Yes I was being serious. OTOH I've never made chicken in the crockpot so I don't really know how it comes out. I do however make what I call "chicken in the pot" which is a whole chicken baked in a covered cast iron casserole. It gets extremely soft but the skin holds it together enough so that it doesn't fall apart when I serve it.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:24 am
etky wrote:
Yes I was being serious. OTOH I've never made chicken in the crockpot so I don't really know how it comes out. I do however make what I call "chicken in the pot" which is a whole chicken baked in a covered cast iron casserole. It gets extremely soft but the skin holds it together enough so that it doesn't fall apart when I serve it.

This recipe already has the chicken in parts so there isn't anything to hold together as the individual pieces don't disintegrate unless cooked WAY too long.

Dark meat (in my experience) is much more forgiving of being cooked in a crockpot - or braised - as I don't really like white meat in a crockpot as the texture seems off.

Not sure about your chicken in the pot - In the US, chicken in the pot is kind of a chicken soup except the whole pieces are cooked and served. In general, when I cook a chicken soup, I chill the broth to get rid of the fat. If you are "roasting" in a cast iron pot, it might be a completely different type of cooking process - I.e. essentially baked because there isn't liquid added.

But in terms of this recipe, you can easily improve the nutrition (I.e. get rid of unnecessary fat) without compromising the results.

etky

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:45 am
My "chicken in a pot" is more in the vein of "poulet a la cocotte" and it steams in its own juices b/c it is tightly covered in the oven. I don't add any liquid to the dish. The jus that results is thus very intensely flavored. The meat is extremely tender (sometimes to a fault IMO) - it probably resembles a crock pot in this respect - but the skin, at least on top, remains dry and somewhat crisp.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:49 am
etky wrote:
My "chicken in a pot" is more in the vein of "poulet a la cocotte" and it steams in its own juices b/c it is tightly covered in the oven. I don't add any liquid to the dish. The jus that results is thus very intensely flavored. The meat is extremely tender (sometimes to a fault IMO) - it probably resembles a crock pot in this respect - but the skin, at least on top, remains dry and somewhat crisp.

Yes different than a crockpot since the chicken isn't immersed in a liquid. A crockpot is really just a method of braising foods in a relatively low heat so nothing gets crispy and you don't generally need the fat in the skin to baste the chicken (or other protein). In general, a crockpot works best for anything one would braise for a long period in low heat.

Somewhere in my recipes is a chicken dish similar to what you have described in which the chicken is cooked in a heavy cast iron pot but it's not a real braise since no additional liquid and although there is steaming involved, it still is essentially a "dry" method of cooking the protein.

ETA - Your description of the "too soft" meat describes the issue I have with the results of chicken cooked in the crockpot. The dark meat is much better but the breast (white meat) generally has a texture that is not as good as when I just roast breasts (or a whole chicken) in the oven. At this point, I really only use the crockpot for dark meat and cook breasts on the stove or the oven.

etky

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 9:56 am
I grew up in a home that didn't know from cholent, crock pots or any type of slow cooking for that matter.
The one time my mother a"h tried to make cholent she used a chicken and it was awful.
As a result, I've never been tempted to make a chicken cholent (I do make yummy cholent with meat though) or to prepare it in any way that calls for really long cooking.
This recipe however is tempting b/c we love garlic.
Another problem is that half the family (annoyingly) prefers white meat and I really don't think that would work well in this recipe Sad

Amarante

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:05 am
etky wrote:
I grew up in a home that didn't know from cholent, crock pots or any type of slow cooking for that matter.
The one time my mother a"h tried to make cholent she used a chicken and it was awful.
As a result, I've never been tempted to make a chicken cholent (I do make yummy cholent with meat though) or to prepare it in any way that calls for really long cooking.
This recipe however is tempting b/c we love garlic.
Another problem is that half the family (annoyingly) prefers white meat and I really don't think that would work well in this recipe Sad

Give me an hour or so because I have a good Chicken with 20 (or 40) Cloves of Garlic that isn't done in a crockpot. It's a classic recipe so there are a lot of variations. I think crockpots are great for beef especially since you need to many cuts of beef for a long slow braise for best results anyway. But in general, chicken doesn't need to be cooked for that long a period of time and white meat really suffers from being braised or crocked. Very Happy But a crockpot is a convenience for those who need to be out of the home and can't watch something in the oven or stove.

mha3484

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 10:11 am
Funny, We dont care for white meat unless its very saucy, but when I made a whole chicken in the crockpot last week, I found that the breast was not dried out. I was planning on making it again next week.

Amarante

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 12:38 pm
This is for etky as it is a non-crockpot version of the 40 Cloves of Garlic Chicken. And the original recipe is so simple that I am not sure how cooking it in a crockpot simplifies one's life. You can actually use up to 100 cloves because the garlic flavor gets really cooked down - much like roasting garlic turns it into a very mellow butter-like spread.

James Beard popularized the original recipe in the 1950's and 1960's in the USA. I've included his original as well as the second variant which is almost identical except that it uses olive oil and a smaller guantity of oil I always use olive oil unless a recipe really needs a neutral oil like canola.

The third dish is really a skillet type of dish finished in the oven as you sauté the chicken. You also incorporate the garlic into the sauce with a stick blender rather than leave it whole as in the James Beard and second recipe.

James Beard's Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: James Beard
Serving Size: 8

Summary:

This is a classic French fricassee, a Provençal dish popularized by Richard Olney, James Beard and other great cookbook writers of the postwar generation. An immense amount of garlic cooks slowly alongside the chicken, reducing the pungency of the cloves and replacing it with a thrumming sweetness and intensity. Eat the chicken in its sauce, then spread the softened garlic on bread and dip it in the remaining juices.

Ingredients:

4 ribs of celery, cut into long strips
2 medium-size onions, coarsely chopped
6 sprigs parsley
1 tablespoon chopped fresh tarragon
2/3 cup vegetable oil
16 chicken legs, any mix of drumsticks and thighs
1/2 cup dry vermouth
2 ½ teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
Freshly grated nutmeg
40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
French bread for serving

Directions:

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.

Cover the bottom of a heavy 6-quart casserole with the celery and onions and add the parsley and tarragon.

Place the oil in a shallow dish. Dip the chicken pieces into the oil, coat all sides evenly and place in the casserole. Pour the vermouth over the chicken and sprinkle with the salt, pepper and a few gratings of nutmeg. Tuck the garlic around and between the chicken pieces.

Cover the top of the casserole tightly with aluminum foil and fit the lid over the foil to create an airtight seal. Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes without removing the cover.

Check for doneness; return casserole to the oven if the chicken seems underdone. Serve the chicken along with the pan juices, the garlic and thin slices of heated French bread spread with garlic squeezed from the root end of the clove.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Recipe By: New York Times

Summary:

In the two decades after World War II, Jane Stern and Michael Stern told Marian Burros of The Times in 1991, “a nation once known for square meals and the bluenose abstinence of Prohibition fell in love with deluxe food, vintage wine and the joy of cooking.” They captured that gourmania in their book of that year, “American Gourmet,” and this recipe, for a luxe and amazing casserole of nutmeg-scented chicken and garlic, comes from it. Serve the dish with a baguette or two, and squeeze the buds of garlic out on the bread. Spread the mash like butter and use the bread to mop up the luscious sauce.

Ingredients:

2/3 cup olive oil
8 chicken drumsticks
8 chicken thighs
4 celery ribs, cut into 4 inch-long strips
2 cups chopped onion
6 parsley sprigs
1 teaspoon dried tarragon
1/2 cup dry vermouth
2 ½ teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
dash grated nutmeg
40 cloves garlic, unpeeled
Freshly sliced French bread

Directions:

Put the oil in a shallow dish and add the chicken pieces; coat evenly with oil.

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

In a heavy 6-quart casserole, combine the celery, onions, parsley and tarragon. Lay the oiled chicken pieces on top. Pour on the vermouth. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and a dash of nutmeg. Tuck the garlic cloves in and around the chicken pieces. Cover the casserole tightly with aluminum foil, then the lid. Bake 90 minutes without removing the lid.

Serve chicken, pan juices and garlic cloves with French bread. Diners should squeeze the buds of garlic from their husks onto the bread, then spread the garlic like butter.

Chicken with 40 Cloves of Gar[lic

Recipe By:
Serving Size: 4

Saveur Magazine (notes not mine)

Summary:

Over the years, I've played around with a number of different recipes for chicken with 40 cloves of garlic. In James Beard's, unpeeled garlic lends its aroma to chicken as it braises. In the great Staff Meals from Chanterelle (Workman, 2000), David Waltuck updates the recipe with peeled cloves, which impart a more intense garlic flavor. The recipe I've ultimately settled on uses peeled cloves, too, and once I remove the chicken from the pan I let the garlic keep cooking until the cloves have all but melted. Then, a quick spin with a whisk makes a smooth sauce well worth the effort of all that peeling. —Helen Rosner

Ingredients:

3 tablespoons olive oil
40 cloves garlic, peeled (you can use up to 100 cloves)
1 (3 to 4-lb.) chicken, cut into 8 pieces
1⁄ 2 cup dry vermouth
3⁄ 4 cup chicken stock
1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
Kosher salt and ground black pepper, to taste

Directions:

Heat oven to 350°.

Heat oil in a 6-qt. Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Season chicken with salt and pepper; add to pot and cook, turning once, until browned, about 15 minutes. Transfer to an 8″ x 8″ baking dish; set aside.

Add garlic to pot; cook until browned in spots, about 6 minutes.

Add vermouth; cook, scraping bottom of pot, until slightly reduced, about 2 minutes. Add stock; boil. Transfer 1⁄4 of the garlic to baking dish; mash remaining into stock. Pour
over chicken; bake until chicken is glazed and tender, 15 to 20 minutes. Garnish with tarragon.

Chickpea

Post Thu, May 28 2015, 7:04 pm
ra_mom wrote:
It comes out juicier when the skin is left on but you can take it off. Just make sure that you do not overcook the chicken. I would do no more than six hours on low. (I use a timer to turn the crockpot on and off as I am out of the house longer than that. I do just 5.5 hours on low for a pkg of chicken drumsticks with skin on). How much chicken will you be cooking?

Sorry I didn't get back to you sooner. Planning on making about 6 skinless bottoms, cooked on low for about 6-8 hrs.

MyKidsRQte

Post Sun, May 31 2015, 8:28 pm
I made this in the crockpot for Shabbos and again tonight in the oven. Both ways came out really good. My kids loved it!!

Thanks

Michelle3825

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 6:50 am
How long should I cook this chicken if making in the oven, and for how long?

ROFL

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 7:59 am
Made this for last Shabbat. Delicious

rain

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 8:40 am
Anyone have any clue if I can make this with rice at the bottom of the pan? Not in a crockpot bag? Or maybe potatoes at the bottom? If yes to rice and potatoes, how? what measurments?

Trying to fignure out how I can make it into a full meal

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 1:23 pm
Michelle3825 wrote:
How long should I cook this chicken if making in the oven, and for how long?
About 2.5 hours, tightly covered, in a 350 degree oven

ra_mom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 1:26 pm
rain wrote:
Anyone have any clue if I can make this with rice at the bottom of the pan? Not in a crockpot bag? Or maybe potatoes at the bottom? If yes to rice and potatoes, how? what measurments?

Trying to fignure out how I can make it into a full meal
You can. It won't be the same recipe with the sautéed onion effect and the same type juicy chicken, but still very good chicken from the crockpot.

chaya35

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 2:00 pm
Has anyone tried the chicken in a crockpot bag?

mha3484

Post Wed, Jun 03 2015, 2:16 pm
I think it will be better with potatoes than rice. The onions will still taste sauteed and garlic onion and potatoes are the best combo. You can even turn it into mashed potatoes yummm.

cozyblanket

Post Mon, Mar 25 2019, 8:56 pm
ra_mom wrote:
This deserves its own thread.
Thanks TzipG for this awesome recipe!

http://imamother.com/forum/vie.....icken
www.crockpot365.blogspot.com

6 chicken bottoms with skin, (I used 4)
1 large or 2 small onions, sliced
1 Tbsp olive oil
2 tsp kosher salt
2 tsp paprika
1 tsp pepper (I used less)
20 garlic cloves, peeled, but intact

Place onion slices on the bottom of the stoneware insert.
In a large mixing bowl, toss chicken parts with olive oil, salt, paprika, pepper, and all of the garlic cloves. Pour into crockpot, on top of the onion.

Do not add water.

Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours, or on high for 4-6.

(I cooked mine on low for about 8 or 9 hours.)

Do you think this can be made for shabbos lunch? That means it is on the crockpot for about 17 hours. Would that backfire?
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Chicken/ Turkey