Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
How often do you wash your guest's sheets?
1  2  Next

mommy24

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:20 am
If you have someone staying with you for more than a couple of days in a row do you wash thm before your guest leaves? put new ones on while they are still there? leave them on till they leave? (talking about someone who is staying top 4 days).

What if someone comes and sleeps overnite and is going to come back a week later to sleep overnite again. do you wash the sheets before they return? do you fold them, put them away and put them back on when they come the following week? do you leave them on the bed?

Just curious if what I do/am doing is totally out of this world or if others do the same.

Chocoholic

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:24 am
If someone would come for a few days in a row (as you say tops 4 days) I wouldn't change sheets in between. However, if one comes one week and again the next week, I would was them, but that's just me.

m0m

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:25 am
a guest for 4 days- doesnt get fresh linen during their stay - I dont change my linen every 4 days why would I change theirs. If they were coming back, I personally to spare myself of the loads of laundry - if its close enough in time I would leave it on for when they return. but if its too long and it will get dusty I would change it. but if its a short time like a week or two and such- I would leave it on the beds- I dont make extra hassles for myself. sometimes having guests can be stressful- you dont have to make it worse- as long as its all clean and accommodating- leave it.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 5:54 am
while they're staying wouldn't change for less than a week - but coming back another week for same guest, I would still wash in between so they feel fresh and cozy ...

never share sheets with different guests ...

mommy24

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:11 am
I would never let new guests use linens that were not washed from previous guests. Ich.

I am talking about a guest who stays overnite or maybe 2 nites and then comes back the next week to stay over nite again. how often and when would you wash those sheets?

greenfire

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:13 am
I already said ... in between his visits I would take them off and put fresh upon his/her return ...

MiamiMommy

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:22 am
I would only change the sheets if I had some extra time on my hands. I don't think it's a necessity. I would just smooth everything out and put fresh towels in the room, etc.

amother

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 6:24 am
All the linens in the house are changed once a week, including guests who are staying for a week or longer. (or as needed, in the case of little kids who may have "accidents"!) I have a full linen closet with extra sheets, blankets, pillows towels, that I show all my guests and tell them they can take anything they need to feel comfortable. Some people may not want to ask if they are cold and need another blanket, so I keep them there.

For a guest coming back, I would change the linens in between visits.

louche

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:08 am
mommy24 wrote:
I would never let new guests use linens that were not washed from previous guests. Ich.

I am talking about a guest who stays overnite or maybe 2 nites and then comes back the next week to stay over nite again. how often and when would you wash those sheets?

Unless I was having other guests in between, I'd leave the sheets in place. I wash our sheets weekly, so if the person had been here 7 nights total, I'd change them. Maybe. If he was really going to be here 8 nights total, I'd let it be.

However, if I had other guests in between, I'd wash. I can't see stripping off used sheets and finding somewhere to store them so I could put them back on the bed after the intermediate guest left. In fact, I probably don't even have enough linens to do that. Let's hope I never find myself in that situation b/c that would make me nuts.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:52 am
amother wrote:
All the linens in the house are changed once a week, including guests who are staying for a week or longer. (or as needed, in the case of little kids who may have "accidents"!) I have a full linen closet with extra sheets, blankets, pillows towels, that I show all my guests and tell them they can take anything they need to feel comfortable. Some people may not want to ask if they are cold and need another blanket, so I keep them there.

For a guest coming back, I would change the linens in between visits.

What hachnasas orchim. Can I be your guest? Smile

Used linen, even from 1 night, would go straight to the wash once the guest leaves. I would never use someone else's linen. Something I wouldn't like for myself, I wouldn't do for others. I don't wash all the linen every week, unless it's important. And I wouldn't wash my guest's linen before 2 weeks.

mommy24

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 10:26 am
ok thanks all so I am not that crazy.

I have my MIL stay with me each week- she comes for 1 night each week, sometimes she stays 2 or 3 nites. If she is here for more htan a few nites I change it when she leaves, if hse is here only for one nite (and she will be coming back in a week) I will leave it on as long as I washed it right before it went on and no one else is coming in between.

I thought this was fine, she only sleeps on it for 2-4 nights in a 2 week span and then I wash it. But the other day when I went to strip the sheets and wash them, I saw they were missing, apparently she took them home to wash. So I Was thinking maybe I am crazy and shoud be washing htem each time she leaves or everyother nite if she is staying for longer htan one nite.

greenfire

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 10:32 am
um ... Scratching Head

Ima'la

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 11:06 am
Maybe she was just trying to save you the trouble?

Does anyone wash their own sheets 2-3 (or more?!) times a week?!?!

If a guest stays here for a few nights and I expect that they'll be the next person sleeping on that bed, I leave the sheets on for next time. Usually they know about it because they offered to strip the bed and I told them not to (and why) and no one ever seemed at all fazed by that.

koalamum

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 8:41 am
Maybe she got them dirty and was embarrassed for her dil to see?
At least she had the decency not to make any comments!

I have a question too. What if my dd brings a friend over and they sleep in the guest room so that they could share the room. The friend just stayed one night. I do like to give guests fresh sheets, but do I have to do the work cuz my dd had a friend??
She brought a friend one night right before Pesach and I was so busy, naturally, I only washed the pillow cases then. (The friend had to be in the area late, and she lives very far away with no way to get home)

Ima'la

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:48 pm
Not sure if you mean dd's friend didn't get clean sheets or the next guest didn't...but in any case, if dd had the friend over, LET DD WASH THE SHEETS!

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 1:35 pm
my mil doesnt wash our linen that we use when we come for shabbos. we come probably once every 6-8 weeks or so. I strip the linen myself and put it in the closet (as per her request) in case someone else is coming in between. it doesnt bother me to use my own linen again but what does bother me is that I would like it to be washed SOMETIMES. I know that it is not washed because I can tell that it is exactly the way I left it when I come back. (she usually doesnt put it back on either so I have to take it back out of the closet). I would never mention it to her and basically just grin and bear it (its only one night). taking it home to wash is also rude I think.

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 2:36 pm
I also had an issue when at my MIL house. She's very sweet and accomodating, but she's BH got a lot on her plate and would sometimes lose track of clean/used linen, like another couple would be over one shabbos and she meant to put the stuff away, but forgot or if we were there 2 non-consecutive weeks, she would put new linen on top of ours, and then remove. it took awhile for dh to get out of me why I didn't feel totally comfortable at his parents', and his solution was to bring our own linen (an old set) that we would keep there and take home to wash at will. Well, BH, it never came to that, as now we have moved to our own place and make shabbos each week.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 5:52 am
amother wrote:
my mil doesnt wash our linen that we use when we come for shabbos. we come probably once every 6-8 weeks or so. I strip the linen myself and put it in the closet (as per her request) in case someone else is coming in between. it doesnt bother me to use my own linen again but what does bother me is that I would like it to be washed SOMETIMES. I know that it is not washed because I can tell that it is exactly the way I left it when I come back. (she usually doesnt put it back on either so I have to take it back out of the closet). I would never mention it to her and basically just grin and bear it (its only one night). taking it home to wash is also rude I think.

So instead of putting it in the closet for next time, take it home and wash it yourself or bring your own linen. She anyways doesn't put it on for you, so you might as well use your own and be confident that nobody used it in the interim.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 5:55 am
amother wrote:
I also had an issue when at my MIL house. She's very sweet and accomodating, but she's BH got a lot on her plate and would sometimes lose track of clean/used linen, like another couple would be over one shabbos and she meant to put the stuff away, but forgot or if we were there 2 non-consecutive weeks, she would put new linen on top of ours, and then remove. it took awhile for dh to get out of me why I didn't feel totally comfortable at his parents', and his solution was to bring our own linen (an old set) that we would keep there and take home to wash at will. Well, BH, it never came to that, as now we have moved to our own place and make shabbos each week.

Couldn't you tell your husband outright what bothered you instead dreading to go to your mil. Many times we'd bring our own linen wherever we went even to hotels that weren't 5 star.

Levtov

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 6:17 am
Wow, what a great MIL I am!!!!Have dil's almost every shabbos. Don't hesitate to strip every week and put clean linen. I have several sets in my guest room and automatically change to new one after shabbos and wash used one. Hope they appreciate!!1
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry