Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Moving advice

amother

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 12:59 pm
We are moving in a little over two months - does anybody have any advice on how to begin packing. I know that most people have less time and we are very lucky to be able to space it out - however I feel like since we have so much time then we will procrastinate and everything will be last minute. I was thinking to start with winter clothing now but if anybody can help give me a timeline or any advice for this situation, I would appreciate it.

Also - I have been reading some websites and they say that you should use packing paper - should I line boxes of clothing with this? What has been others experience in terms of using this? buying it?

Also - does anybody know of any movers that they can recommend - I am in NY area.

Mommastuff

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 1:15 pm
For clothing, they sell special clothing/hanging boxes. I didn't use them (I just folded) but they are more helpful
Start by packing the infrequently used items. Glass and breakables should be wrapped individually in newspaper or butch paper (or the like).
Book boxes should be small cuz they get heavy quickly. Big and light stuff save for the big boxes (like stuffed animals, fluffy quilts. You can also get the -I don't know what they are called- vaccumn bags that compress when you suck out the air.

If you want to be finished a few days before then make sure to pack seperate bags of stuff you'll need for the few days before the move and a few days after:
clothing (for a week?)
toiletries - including hand soap, toilet paper, tissues, etc
plastic cups, plates,etc
medications
towels

I suggest the Schulgasser Brother Movers 973-458-9658

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 1:17 pm
I only used packing paper or other bufferring for fragile items. Everything else didn't get any packing material. This was only a local move (ie. the stuff wasn't going to be on a truck bouncing around the US for a month).

First I went room by room and went through what I wasn't taking. So, you might want to take a week to just go through all of your things, and get rid (or plan to get rid ie. furniture you need now but won't take) of what you don't want. This will give you time to sell it, give it to someone you know, drop it off at charity, or just take it to the curb.

Then, I went room by room and packed everything we could live without until the move. You'd be surprised what you can live without (especially if you have your own clothes W/D). Get crazy. Also, with the time, you can scour for FREE boxes. This can save a LOT of money.

So, things you can pack: out of season clothes, books you rarely read (including seforim) or need accessible. Possibly half of your kids' toys. Random kitchen appliances or dishes you also rarely use. I also stop buying as much food in order to deplete my pantry.

Within a couple weeks, being the more casual type of person I am, I put away dishes to eat off of and eat on disposables. Dishes are a pain to pack, and I'm not leaving them until the few days before the move. I know some will think this is just not l'kovod shabbos, so do what is good for you.

I have way more bedding than I need. With a washer, I really can't need more then X sets of sheets out (including those ON the beds). Consider packing up everything you really aren't going to NEED re: bed linens, table cloths, etc. Towels might be a good idea to keep out bc you may be having to clean things, etc. (consider getting professionals to clean after you leave instead of doing it yourself)

Also, linens, towels, etc. can make great packing material. The trade off is that currently, I can't find the glass/metal rimmed lid to my favorite parve pot. So, it's probably in a box of linens that hasn't surfaced yet. (I moved 5 days ago)

Wardrobe boxes are awesome for packing up closets. Also, something nice to do is get things in the room they'll end up in at the destination. Label everything ont he top and sides clearly. Use this extra time to plan out your layout in the new place. I'm a big geek, so I took measurements of the rooms and my furniture, and used graph paper to make scaled down "models" of the rooms to figure out how I wanted things laid out. This was especially important bc we have a piano, the layout of the room depended on where it would go, and where it would go would only be doable with the movers.

If you need babysitting or help wtih food, arrange food reserves, or take out, or whatever, and extra childcare now so you aren't stressing as things get closer bc you can't get anything done.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 1:22 pm
Another tip. If possible, use milk crates to pack the Sefarim and books. Cardboard boxes are not strong enough for the Sefarim.

MyKidsRQte

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 1:45 pm
Im also planning on moving within the next 2 months (I dont have a new place, yet)-I just dont see myself living in boxes. I was thinking of doing the dining room living room areas first. China closets, sefarim, etc. Then the winter stuff. I work alot better under pressure, things get done alot quicker(because I have no time to procrastinate) so it makes it alot easier than to space it out.

As far as movers go, I used MBD-Moshe Boyer a few times. His number is 718-437-1977

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 1:50 pm
MyKidsRQte wrote:
Im also planning on moving within the next 2 months (I dont have a new place, yet)-I just dont see myself living in boxes. I was thinking of doing the dining room living room areas first. China closets, sefarim, etc. Then the winter stuff. I work alot better under pressure, things get done alot quicker(because I have no time to procrastinate) so it makes it alot easier than to space it out.

As far as movers go, I used MBD-Moshe Boyer a few times. His number is 718-437-1977

Did they treat the furniture with respect? Or did the furniture get dents while being moved?
Thanks in advance for the info.

traveler

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 7:51 pm
Quote:
Did they treat the furniture with respect? Or did the furniture get dents while being moved?

I used Moishe Boyer a few months ago. They were very reasonable, reliable and the only thing that broke was my $10 door mirror. He brought me big brown boxes as well as packaging paper. I also purchases separately from ULINE some bubble wrap, brown paper, tape and a dispenser. The day you move he will come with hanging boxes and he will just load all your hanging stuff into the Boxes. Once he gets to your new location he will unload your hanging things back into closets and he takes the boxes with him.

I would suggest start packing up your books, toys if you have any. Clothing that you are not using now. That is clothing that does fold away. I really just packed all my folding into my existing luggage not into boxes. I found the kitchen the hardest part so give yourself a few days for the kitchen.

Two months seems like a long time but packing up a house is a lot of work and you'll need the time. Best of luck.

manhattanmom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 7:57 pm
Find out about the wardrobe boxes--my mover brought some for free--so I didn't have to pack up my hanging clothes in advance. They were the last thing on the truck and the first thing off.

The first thing we did was clean out all of the closets and got rid of lots of stuff--and then we even put stuff back in the closets--it just made it easier to just organize your clothes, books, etc. and make piles and lists of stuff to give away or sell.

Are you doing a short distance or long distance move? Will there be a few days that you will have access to both homes?
We were lucky that way--we moved about 3 blocks from where we were and had a week that we had access to both apartments--so we didn't even pack our dishes and fragile items--we moved it all by ourselves.

ra_mom

Post Mon, May 04 2009, 8:42 pm
traveler wrote:
Quote:

I used Moishe Boyer a few months ago. They were very reasonable, reliable and the only thing that broke was my $10 door mirror. He brought me big brown boxes as well as packaging paper. I also purchases separately from ULINE some bubble wrap, brown paper, tape and a dispenser. The day you move he will come with hanging boxes and he will just load all your hanging stuff into the Boxes. Once he gets to your new location he will unload your hanging things back into closets and he takes the boxes with him.

I would suggest start packing up your books, toys if you have any. Clothing that you are not using now. That is clothing that does fold away. I really just packed all my folding into my existing luggage not into boxes. I found the kitchen the hardest part so give yourself a few days for the kitchen.

Two months seems like a long time but packing up a house is a lot of work and you'll need the time. Best of luck.

Thanks so much for the info (sorry OP, I did not mean to hijack your thread).
So Boyer took apart your furniture, packed it, and placed it back together in the new place, without any dents?

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:10 pm
manhattanmom - it is a short distance move (maybe 10 blocks) and we will most likely have at least a week (maybe two) with access to both places. Sounds like you did the same thing - can you give me step by step instructions on what you did - TIA

When should I call a mover?

How do you pack shoes - just put them in a box? Also - I guess from what I am reading - I shouldnt pack hanging clothes, is that correct? Did anyone pack up skirts?

amother

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:11 pm
traveler - I have no clue how much a mover usually charges so can you give me a range of what is reasonable - we are moving a short distance and don't have too much big furniture.

Fresh

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:17 pm
MBD is the best, I've had an excellent experience. I highly recommend him

Fresh

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 12:18 pm
amother wrote:
traveler - I have no clue how much a mover usually charges so can you give me a range of what is reasonable - we are moving a short distance and don't have too much big furniture.

all you need is a phone call, call him he'll come down for an estimate.

MyKidsRQte

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 1:14 pm
I moved a few times using him locally and long distance. I was extremely happy with him. He was extremely accommodating. On one of our local moves, we asked him to make a stop and pick up a couch- he didnt charge us more.

traveler

Post Tue, May 05 2009, 7:44 pm
I think he charged $1000 - and that included all the packaging supplies I.e. boxes and paper.

Most of our furniture was simple too move, the only difficult thing I had was a very large bookshelf that included cabinets,bookcases, china closet and media center.... He took it apart and put it back together beautifully. He took all the doors off, the shelves out, the moldings off etc. He did a GREAT job.

My husband also used him to move his office and he did a great job there as well.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics