Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Interesting Discussions
Sefira dilemma

greenfire

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 5:43 am
sefira dilemma - here's the situation ... I enrolled in a daily on-line reminder - sounds great right? wrong !!! because everyday before sefira counting they send me the counting of that night ... now I know I'm a little senile and all - but I recall learning that you cannot say a brocha if you say the # of the night you should be counting before the appropriate time of nightfall ...

on the one hand it's better to have the spiritual info to have kavana whilst saying the brocha and counting - on the other hand if I read it before hand I feel as if I'm a day ahead and it's confusing ...

comprende ?!?!

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 6:00 am
I don't think reading with your eyes is a problem, as long as you don't say it with your mouth. And why don't you get a Sefira calendar?

greenfire

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 6:06 am
I have a siddur & a regular calendar ... who needs a sefira calendar if I'm remembering to count ... I merely want some depth to the prayer and cannot get it if it messes up the counting from the brocha levatala standpoint ...

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 6:18 am
greenfire wrote:
I have a siddur & a regular calendar ... who needs a sefira calendar if I'm remembering to count ... I merely want some depth to the prayer and cannot get it if it messes up the counting from the brocha levatala standpoint ...

From your previous post I thought you had a problem remembering what day it is, so I suggested the calendar. But if you do not have a problem with that, put a sticky-note on the page of the Krias Shema She'al Hamitah in the siddur you use, with the words: Sfiras Ha'omer. At least you'll remember right before you go to sleep.

greenfire

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 8:56 am
me thinks ... me thinks you still don't understand ... that is not my issue ...

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Wed, May 06 2009, 2:39 pm
greenfire wrote:
me thinks ... me thinks you still don't understand ... that is not my issue ...

Of course I understand. You didn't understand me. I'm suggesting that instead of getting an online reminder that makes you go wild with enthusiam and excited to announce to the whole wide world the day of sfira, make your own reminder just to remind you that you have to count, so that you shouldn't by mistake say the day before the bracha. Still not your issue?

greenfire

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 6:35 am
nopes ... not my issue ...

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 7:05 am
greenfire wrote:
nopes ... not my issue ...

So could you rephrase?

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 7:35 am
I have my cellphone alarm set for 8:45 P.M. and it says "Omer".

Then I go to the Homer Omer site and count.

On Fridays I write today was XX so I know to add one.

Unfortunately 2 nights ago I didn't hear the alarm go off and I've been busy with stuff and for the first time in 3 years, I'm missing the counting with a bracha Sad

greenfire

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 7:42 am
I am thankfully NOT forgetting to count because I do so from a siddur as I lay down to sleep (only way I will remember) ... the issue is that I want it to be more spiritual and I cannot afford a book so I have this on line "reminder" which has a nice spiritual depth - but they always send me tomorrows today ... so if I read it I feel like I'm counting beforehand - but if I wait till the next day, I feel as if I lose out on kavana that I could have had if I read it beforehand ... so which way do I go ...

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 7:50 am
If you read it the next day, you'll be reading it on the proper day so how is that losing out on spirituality?

You're extending the Kavanah by counting with the bracha at night and then reading further the next day...

greenfire

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 7:53 am
I guess I thought I should have more kavana while saying the brocha ...

but I guess that is the best ...

it also annoys me that they are sending out imho a day early ...

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 7:55 am
Depending on where it originates from, it might be right on time...

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Thu, May 07 2009, 8:58 am
greenfire wrote:
I am thankfully NOT forgetting to count because I do so from a siddur as I lay down to sleep (only way I will remember) ... the issue is that I want it to be more spiritual and I cannot afford a book so I have this on line "reminder" which has a nice spiritual depth - but they always send me tomorrows today ... so if I read it I feel like I'm counting beforehand - but if I wait till the next day, I feel as if I lose out on kavana that I could have had if I read it beforehand ... so which way do I go ...

If there's a way to download these spiritual reminders, download them and save them for the future so that you should be able to open them just in time. Actually, why can't you go online later on when you're ready to count?

greenfire

Post Mon, May 11 2009, 5:29 am
oh the problem is - I only remember to count as I lay me down to sleep ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics