Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
Recharging batteries

amother

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 12:39 pm
In tough financial times, do you think it is a good thing or a bad thing to have a regular outlet- that costs money- but makes your life feel worth living, and gives you the emotional strength to work hard the rest of the time?
Or in tough times, does every penny count and you should pinch and pinch and pinch and not waste money on ANY "luxuries" or "extravagances"?
Examples: Membership to a gym
Going to a movie once in a while
Date night with husband (paying a babysitter even if the date doesnt cost much)
An unpaid day off work to recharge/do something fun with the family

louche

Post Wed, May 13 2009, 12:59 pm
"If thou of fortune be bereft,
And in thy store there be but left,
Two loaves, sell one, and with the dole,
Buy Hyacinths to feed thy soul."

Lovely idea, but if all I had left was literally 2 loaves of bread, I would not be buying flowers, though I might try hanging around the flower shop and get a whiff every now and then.

One must use sechel and cut back when conditions dictate, but NO luxuries whatsoever? No. There are cheap luxuries to be had if you're not spoiled. I remember reading somewhere how a mother would buy one Dixie Cup of ice cream and split it with the whole family. Each person couldn't have gotten more than a spoonful or two, but boy did they savor that spoonful!

alpidarkomama

Post Thu, May 14 2009, 1:47 am
It just depends on one's situation, really. If you can pay all your bills including credit cards, give tzedakah, pay off your credit cards, and can afford little (or big!) niceties, then go for it! On the other hand, if those niceties put you into debt it's utterly not worth it. There are so many things that are pleasant and free, that it's not necessary to spend money. We are on a very tight budget, and the only "extra" I pay for is a cup of coffee (regular, not a latte!) 2x/month when I have a mommy date with a friend. I feel grateful, and not deprived. So grateful that we can choose what we do. That cup of coffee is just the gravy. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics