Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Toilet bowl brushes

Do you keep toilet bowl brushes near the toilet?
Yes. Next to all.  
 77%  [ 45 ]
Yes, next to ones accessible to guests.  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Yes, next to ones accessible to family  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Yes, but hidden so you can't find it easily  
 6%  [ 4 ]
No  
 5%  [ 3 ]
Other  
 3%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:00 am
Why do people not keep toilet bowl brushes next to the toilet?
If people use the toilet and "make a mess", if you have no brush there, you either give them the option of leaving the skid marks and embarassing themselves as well as grossing you out. OR: sticking their hands into the toilet bowl themselves with nothing but toilet paper to aid their cleaning.

Why not keep a toilet bowl brush next to the toilet? IMO its proper manners and the correct thing to do and I always get SO annoyed when I need one and there isnt one available.

mummy-bh

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:03 am
Mine are hidden because my kids use them as hairbrushes given half a chance

'nuff said

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:09 am
I'm not familiar with not having brushes near the toilet. I am trying to remember if I have seen brushless toilets at someone or a restaurant, etc... I don't think.

Unfortunately many brushes are so dirty most people won't touch them anyway.

ss321

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 9:32 am
before kids we kept it in the bathroom behind the toilet. it looked something like http://www.heals.co.uk/content.....m.jpg
so it was rather inconspicuous. after kids, we dont leave it out because babies like playing with them, touching them, putting them in their mouths, etc. the bristles are fun, just like any other brush. after my first baby, they got hidden away from site and we keep one on each floor and thats it. sorry if u think its impolite as a visitor, but I have to worry abt my childrens' safety first! my guest BR (on first floor) anyway is black so skid marks wont be noticeable. hows that for TMI.

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 1:52 pm
Who wants to get the brush all nasty?!

If mess lies outside the water in the toilet, take a cup and pour water on it. Let soak for a minute. Flush again. Repeat as needed. Works for me at the office.

amother

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 1:57 pm
amother wrote:

If mess lies outside the water in the toilet, take a cup and pour water on it. Let soak for a minute. Flush again. Repeat as needed. Works for me at the office.
The brush, I assume, touches other "nasty". Better the brush touch the "nasty" than your hand touch the "nasty" or leaving the "nasty" on the toilet bowl. Water doesnt always work.

Ruchel

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 2:01 pm
amother wrote:

not everyone has sink in the toilets

mommalah

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 2:06 pm
We keep our brushes right near the toilet bowl. The baby may want to mess with it out of curiosity but we always keep an eye on her. The older kids don't touch it. What irks me is when people don't have trash cans in the bathroom! Where should I put the tampon/ pad when I'm done using it? Where should I put the used baby wipe I used from my purse?

freidasima

Post Mon, May 18 2009, 2:18 pm
Agree about having a brush, a trash can and a basket with a selection of feminine hygiene products delicately packaged above the toilet tank (in EY they are around eye height usually), extra toilet paper, baby wipes and cotton balls all out and available in the bathroom.

It usually works to flush three times on maximum (if you have a toilet that has two possibilties, one for liquid and one for solid) to get the solid stuff on the bowl down. Just need the patience to wait until the tank fills up again!

ruthla

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:25 pm
I have the toilet brush AND the plunger right next to the toilet- with the trash can on the other side.

Extra toilet paper and tissues are in the cabinet above the toilet, and sanitary products (an assortment of tampons and pads) in the bottom drawer right next to the toilet. I let teen girl guests (who IME are less likely to carry along what they need) know where everything is, and adult women I'll tell if they ask.

We mostly use cloth pads in our house, but I keep plenty of disposable supplies on hand for guests.

amother

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 8:58 pm
mommalah wrote:
What irks me is when people don't have trash cans in the bathroom! Where should I put the tampon/ pad when I'm done using it? Where should I put the used baby wipe I used from my purse?

Are there still ppl besides my parents with no wastebin in their bathroom? I'm sure there was a good reason why my parents and grandparents never had a wastebasket in the bathroom. maybe it had something to do with living in the country and not attracting snakes or rats or something--all trash in kitchen and removed from premises nightly. Maybe it was supposed to discourage eating in the bedrooms--no place to throw your apple cores and orange peels. Maybe it had to do with sharing a bathroom with six other families on the same floor of a circa 1900 Lower East Side tenement and whatever you brought in with you you carried out with you.

Whatever, it made me crazy growing up. I now have a wastebasket in every room except the living room. Having a wastebasket in every room is the single most effortlessly effective thing you can do to keep a house tidy.

louche

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 9:03 pm
ruthla wrote:
I have the toilet brush AND the plunger right next to the toilet- with the trash can on the other side.

OMG, me, too! exact same configuration. I used to keep the plunger in the closet with the other household maintenance tools, but eventually decided that made no sense. store things where you use them. with the plunger right there, anyone who has a problem can correct it without having to leave the room and the embarrassment of announcing "don't go into the bathroom, I have to plungerize the bowl." The plunger isn't pretty right there (why don't they make them in colors to match the decor?) but it's practical.

cm

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 5:57 pm
I can't stand the idea of toilet brushes at all - they are so unsanitary! I use flushable toilet pads for routine cleaning. Nowadays we use "Scrubbing Bubbles" brand; when I was growing up we always used "Johnny Mop." If a guest feels the need to flush twice, so be it. I do leave the plunger nearby, though (also unsanitary, but they haven't come up with a flushable plunger yet, lol).

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Jun 02 2009, 8:04 pm
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette