Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Meat
Stuffed cabbage

gryp

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 7:10 am
Can I bake stuffed cabbage? Has anyone ever tried to do it that way?

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 7:14 am
Yes. You need a lot of liquid. Otherwise the cabbage gets sort of burned and gross.

It's REALLY much better on the stove.

mummy-bh

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 7:20 am
Do you mean like holishkes? I always put them in the oven.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 7:28 am
Do you used precooked rice?

gryp

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 8:03 am
mummy-bh wrote:
Do you mean like holishkes? I always put them in the oven.

Yes, do you have any tricks to it? Or just stick it in and bake (for how long?)

I use lots and lots of sauce, so I'm not worried about it burning or drying out. I usually make about 15-20 of them and my biggest pot doesn't accommodate that anymore. Smile
And anyway, I want to freeze them, and it would be simple to do it all in a baking pan (or two).

chocolate moose

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 8:41 am
I know ... it was always a dream of mine too. I just add it to the unrealized dreams I have already ... along with the home made crackers I never learned to bake, etc.

gryp

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 2:53 pm
It came out really really nicely. The best stuffed cabbage ever, and the easiest.

cookielady

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 3:00 pm
This year I made it with precooked brown rice. It was amazing. I did cook it on the stove top, it was easier for me.

gryp

Post Sun, May 31 2009, 3:38 pm
Yeah, I saw on your menu you were also having stuffed cabbage. Smile

We're only eating it tonight, I made way too much food for YT, and my fridge needs clearing out.

willow

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 10:54 am
Did you bake it?

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 11:11 am
GR, I wish I could trade with you !!!

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 12:45 pm
Yes, willow, I baked it. It saved me so much time and effort. I didn't have to keep watch to see if they were burning at the bottom, which also means no holes in the cabbage rolls. They came out so beautifully, and tasted better too.
The only annoying thing is that I meant to make a lot, but the store sent me only two small cabbages. They were pretty cute though, little tiny stuffed cabbages. Like an appetizer more than like a main course. I think I'll make them again purposely like that.

We're still eating leftovers from YT. I didn't think I'd have so much leftover, it's a bit nuts how full my fridge is.

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 1:47 pm
GR wrote:
Yes, willow, I baked it. It saved me so much time and effort. I didn't have to keep watch to see if they were burning at the bottom, which also means no holes in the cabbage rolls. They came out so beautifully, and tasted better too.
The only annoying thing is that I meant to make a lot, but the store sent me only two small cabbages. They were pretty cute though, little tiny stuffed cabbages. Like an appetizer more than like a main course. I think I'll make them again purposely like that.

We're still eating leftovers from YT. I didn't think I'd have so much leftover, it's a bit nuts how full my fridge is.

Yesterday I took smaller foil pans and froze the food. It's a shame to buy expensive yomtov food and then encourage the family to eat leftovers during the week. I can use it for Tishre, too.

heffer569

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 5:04 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
GR wrote:

Yesterday I took smaller foil pans and froze the food. It's a shame to buy expensive yomtov food and then encourage the family to eat leftovers during the week. I can use it for Tishre, too.

Are u kidding you are gonna take food from now and freeze till tishre which is like 4 to 5 months away. Sorry but that is wrong if you dont want to waste dont make so much.

flowerpower

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 5:07 pm
Glad it came out. Now you know it will work for the future too.

muss

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 5:45 pm
GR wrote:
It came out really really nicely. The best stuffed cabbage ever, and the easiest.

Can you share the recipe?

gryp

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 6:42 pm
I was thinking to freeze the kugels for Shabbos, but I decided it's easier on me to be able to give them to my 11 month old for lunch every day this week, and make fresh for Shabbos.

Muss, I did a really basic recipe. Mixed ground beef with cooked rice, added spices and eggs. Boiled the cabbage 15 minutes or so, rinsed the leaves, and filled them. I laid them down nicely in the pans, and covered them with tons of tomato sauce, ketchup, water, and spices. Sliced up the leftover cabbage and put it in the sauce. Stuck it in the oven on 350 and left it there until it looked cooked. That's it.

The meat came out so soft and the leaves stayed intact. I got over-complimented on the whole thing, and it was so simple.

goodheart

Post Mon, Jun 01 2009, 7:37 pm
Btw I always bake mine. and everyone who eats it luvs it.
and u don't have to cook the rice.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics