Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
Drinks with old coworkers
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 10:11 pm
My old coworkers have arranged a night out for me tomorrow night - there will be no food (they know I am kosher) just a happy hour for drinks and they are all (6 girls) going because of me. I have no idea what to drink. I know that I definitely have to drink one alcoholic beverage. What is a good kosher drink that I can get? I hate alcohol and am dieting so I need to get something that tastes ok and won't pack on the calories. Should I just get a light beer? I know it will taste yucky but it's safe and not that strong.
My dh said I should just get orange juice and let everyone think it's a mixed drink but I think we will all be ordering together and they will know.
Thanks.

queen

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 10:35 pm
are you allowed to drink alcoholic beverages with non jews?

ss321

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 10:39 pm
I agree with your husband. the one time some classmates went out to celebrate passing a test, that is exactly what I did. I ordered a drink (I think a screwdriver which is vodka with OJ) and then went over to the waiter and told him that for medical reasons (ie maybe im pg) I cant have alcohol but I dont want all my friensd to start thinking im dying. so can you call it a screwdriver but make it "virgin?"
it wasnt a prob at all.
I wouldnt drink anything alcoholic in public with non jewish colleagues.

ss321

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 10:40 pm
if youre dieting, a better option that OJ = rum and diet coke. then no rum

traveler

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 11:21 pm
I usually order a Tom Collins it is a light citrus mix - I like it

If you are driving you can always use that as an excuse.

One thing is for sure Do Not order a Long Island Ice Tea -

When I was dating my husband we went to this really cool bar on an old fire boat. It was early afternoon and I went to order a "Mikes Lemonade" a fairly light drink. For some odd reason I said a Long Island Ice Tea - not exactly sure why, all I know is I spent the rest of the afternoon sleeping in my husbands car. (Then we were only dating a couple of weeks Confused )

You can always just order a diet coke. Don't feel any pressure to drink. Meeting up at a lounge/bar is just for convenience not because you MUST drink.

louche

Post Wed, May 20 2009, 11:24 pm
ss321 wrote:
I agree with your husband. the one time some classmates went out to celebrate passing a test, that is exactly what I did. I ordered a drink (I think a screwdriver which is vodka with OJ) and then went over to the waiter and told him that for medical reasons (ie maybe im pg) I cant have alcohol but I dont want all my friensd to start thinking im dying. so can you call it a screwdriver but make it "virgin?"
it wasnt a prob at all.

great strategy!

myfriends715

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 12:18 am
you can get a screwdriver, jack and coke, or just a beer.. I would and have gone with coworkers for drinks.. its fun.. enjoy yourself

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 6:35 am
Personally, I'm not bothered by drinking kosher alcoholic drinks in the company of non-jews.
(Does anyone really check to see there are no non-jews at kosher restaurants where wine is
served?) The only exception is, I don't go to wine bars (though I can order something else),
mainly because of maaras eyin. I go out quite often with both colleagues and ex-colleagues,
venues tend to be either pubs or bars. I tend to order either beer, lemonade or ginger ale
(which looks like alcoholic drinks).

Whatever you do, DO NOT FEEL PRESSURED TO ORDER ALCOHOLIC DRINKS.
There's absolutely nothing wrong with sticking to soft drinks.

ss321

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 7:19 am
myfriends715 wrote:
you can get a screwdriver, jack and coke, or just a beer.. I would and have gone with coworkers for drinks.. its fun.. enjoy yourself

sure its fun, but I dont think (and this is my personal opinion) drinkig alcohol and chilling with a co-ed group of colleagues, is necessarily the right thing for me as a frum wife and mom to be doing. the enjoying myself and having fun part, I am ok with. otherwise, I would have chosen a different career. The alcohol part- well, let THEM all be uninhibited and all chilled like that. I am still a Bas Yisroel and there is a certain standard I hold myself to. Trust me, I love a great cocktail and I am not some frummy prude. But I do have to create certain boundaries, especially in the world in which I find myself professionally.

amother

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 9:06 am
OP
Well, this thread is abt to become interesting! Before I went and had any alcohol tonight with the girls, I decided to do a pregnancy test just in case and it came back positive. I had IF before so I am shocked. I hope that it's true but I definitely won't be drinking at all.....
I think I will have to tell the girls that I am antibiotic for a sinus infection or something and can't drink.

windowsill

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 9:11 am
Wow! Congratulations! What a turn of events!!

Chocoholic

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 9:11 am
I regularly go out with some friends to have some beer or liquor. My DH does the same with his friends. (All non Jews).

ss321

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 9:55 am
amother wrote:
OP
Well, this thread is abt to become interesting! Before I went and had any alcohol tonight with the girls, I decided to do a pregnancy test just in case and it came back positive. I had IF before so I am shocked. I hope that it's true but I definitely won't be drinking at all.....
I think I will have to tell the girls that I am antibiotic for a sinus infection or something and can't drink.

wow congratulations! you can do that - or you can do what I said. order whatever, then go over to the waiter and explain to him that you are on antibiotics and cant drink any alcohol (or tell him youre pg if you are so inclined), can he make it "virgin" but not say anything.

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 9:59 am
Wow. Great news! All the more reason to go out and enjoy.

Again, on a minor point, I really don't get why people feel they need to explain why they're not drinking alcohol...

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:02 am
DH often goes out for this. Any domestic beer with no flavors are fine. Otherwise, you have to know what you're drinking - you don't want to order a mixed drink with stuff that'd require a hechsher....like girly drinks such as Pina Coladas or Dquiries need a hechsher.

If yu drank hard likker, I could recommend Scotch (and such) for you, but if you aren't a drinker, I doubt it'd appeal to you.

louche

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:03 am
amother wrote:
Before I went and had any alcohol tonight with the girls, I decided to do a pregnancy test just in case and it came back positive. I had IF before so I am shocked. .

Wowee! beshaah tovah!

louche

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:07 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:

I really don't get why people feel they need to explain why they're not drinking alcohol...

quite right. you're not drinking, you're not drinking, nobody's business why. let them think you're a recovering alcoholic, a religious teetotaler, on meds that are incompatible with alcohol, or anything in between. you don't have to justify why you're not drinking any more than you have to justify why you're not having dessert.

chocolate moose

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:23 am
amother wrote:
My old coworkers have arranged a night out for me tomorrow night - there will be no food (they know I am kosher) just a happy hour for drinks and they are all (6 girls) going because of me. I have no idea what to drink. I know that I definitely have to drink one alcoholic beverage. What is a good kosher drink that I can get? I hate alcohol and am dieting so I need to get something that tastes ok and won't pack on the calories. Should I just get a light beer? I know it will taste yucky but it's safe and not that strong.
My dh said I should just get orange juice and let everyone think it's a mixed drink but I think we will all be ordering together and they will know.
Thanks.

I think a light beer requires hashgocho. Anyway, orange juice certainly does.

Amother, are you driving? That'd be a good way to stick to soda.

SomebodyElse

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:26 am
Sorry if this is too late, but orange juice requires hashgacha. I would go with pepsi/coke/sprite/etc. Or I guess you could check which brand of OJ they're using.

B'shaah tovah, OP!

ss321--OP did say that this was all girls, not coed.

queen--Except for non-mevushal wine, I don't think there's any prohibition on drinking with non jews.

I've never been a fan of alcoholic beverages, but I kind of like Zima or Smirnoff Ice (check the CRC list for kosher flavors).

ss321

Post Thu, May 21 2009, 10:41 am
SomebodyElse wrote:
Sorry if this is too late, but orange juice requires hashgacha. I would go with pepsi/coke/sprite/etc. Or I guess you could check which brand of OJ they're using.

thats what I do. Usually its tropicana.
SomebodyElse wrote:

ss321--OP did say that this was all girls, not coed.

I still wouldnt go out and drink alcohol with a group of female colleauges either. and I do like a good drink. maybe thats my own comfort level who knows.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics