Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Finances
How much do you spend on food per month? (In US)
1  2  Next

How much do you spend on food per month?
About $200  
 5%  [ 3 ]
$200 - $300  
 8%  [ 5 ]
$300 - $400  
 18%  [ 11 ]
$400 - $500  
 25%  [ 15 ]
$500+  
 41%  [ 24 ]
Total Votes : 58

amother

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 11:58 am
Just curious to see where we fit in relatively to others.

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 12:04 pm
amother, are you offering to give a class on how in the world you keep your grocery bill so low? some of those figures are more like weekly not monthly. I'm serious, I'd love to learn, food is such a waste of money-you just eat it right up, the less I spend on it the better.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 12:09 pm
I should have been clear - we don't have any kids yet embarrassed , so it's just too of us fressing and that is precisely why I am thinking we spend waaay to much money on food. (And I completely agree with you red sea, food is a big waste of money). Most of it gets spent on shabbos because of many guests, but still.

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 12:14 pm
amother, still, when we got married over a decade ago and it was just 2 of us, shabbos alone with guests cost over 100$ by itself.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 12:55 pm
Are you kidding? What you spend in a month, I spend in a week!!!!!!!!

red sea

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 1:34 pm
WHO VOTED 200-300 A MONTH! that's approx 60$ a week, how!?????? That's less than 10$ a day. Please tell me you are feeding just one. Otherwise you can be a rich women really soon by giving seminars on how you do that. When I buy salad for lunch its more than 10$.

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 2:25 pm
ok $400-500 and we're only 2 people and a baby. and we don't buy already prepared or frozen foods either, aside from veggies!

happymom

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 2:32 pm
same here nicole, but its usually 500. its also just me my husband and my baby.

amother

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 2:37 pm
OK, so I guess what we spend is average for a couple. Nicole, happymom do you guys live in NY? We moved out of town, so I thought food would get cheaper, however kosher meat/cholov yisroel stuff is almost double here.

nicole81

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 2:42 pm
I live in new york. it's funny, because I always think how expensive kosher food is compared to non kosher here, but I guess it's much worse in other places!

when I have time I try to buy cereal, juices, and fruits and veggies at non jewish supermarkets, because these items are frequently on sale for half the price. but I don't often get around to it unfortunately. one stop shopping is so much easier.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 2:47 pm
There ARE weeks I spend less than a hundred...but it's not that many weeks out of the year, and I don't buy everything I need every single week!

happymom

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 3:15 pm
yes I live in ny. In crown heights things are really expensive. I used to go to bp and save alot of money in three guys from brooklyn for fruits and veggies and kollel store but now that I have a baby I dont and it costs so much more! but ya 500 dollars sounds normal a month to me. even 600. I dont know how anyone can go under 400! let me know the secret please!

LoveMy2Kids

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 3:35 pm
What are we including in food? My friends tell me they include paper towels, tissues, detergent etc...in their grocery budgets. On food alone I spend about $100 a week. I have 2 school aged children who eat. I'm careful, and when I get to the end of the month and have pretty much reached my spending limit for the month I get creative. Smile

amother

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 3:41 pm
Oops! embarrassed embarrassed I didn't read that right - I thought it was how much a WEEK, so my $200-$300 vote was for a weeks worth. Sorry for messing up your survey :-(

Tovah

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 3:43 pm
oh my I can spend around 200 a week easy. but I have 2 kids. but even b4 kids at least 150 a week. shabbos alone is 50 dollars and fruits and veg. 50 and odds and ends.

Tefila

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 3:46 pm
Alot Exclamation Our pay checks comes in, next day b"h our paychecks goes out. As long as we have enuf for food and mouths for which to feed . How can we complain b"h Very Happy

happyone

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 4:40 pm
I just voted 200 , but I meant per week -- disregard that vote.

BrachaVHatzlocha

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 5:17 pm
yeah, it depends on family size, too, not just spending habits. I spend $60-100 a week, which is just me, my husband and a toddler (newborn doesn't eat food yet). so I guess about 300 - I put in $200-300. but it's really probably more.
the way you spend so little...I eat at work lunch (I'm a teacher) and my husband eats lunch and breakfast in yeshiva...not that I'm trying to save money, but if you're there, and they serve you....it helps! Smile

cindy324

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 5:27 pm
We're a family of five and I probably spend anywhere from $800 - $1000 per month. It seems like I always need something else, I have 2 older kids who go through food pretty fast. Even my toddler eats a nice amount.

If I really got down to it, I could probably cut that amount a bit, but that would take creativity LOL

goldrose

Post Wed, Mar 08 2006, 9:46 pm
Quote:
When I buy salad for lunch its more than 10$.

if you bought a cucumber, tomato and some lettuce (and even some more stuff) and made your own salad, that would be a start on saving!! part of the $10 you're paying goes into the preparing......
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics