Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Have you ever gotten the cops called on you???
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

shosh

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 5:39 pm
Clarissa, you've made my day!

After 20 years of wondering why no one ever noticed our "dead body," you're telling me someone did?!!!

Whoopee! That has made my year and a half at Gateshead seminary all the more meaningful!!!!

de_goldy

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 5:40 pm
Clarissa wrote:
That's funny, because I used to work in a mental hospital, and there was this young woman who used to sit there, rocking back and forth, and she'd say (in Swiss German), "It looked so real, I swear it was real, it was a body, it looked so real..."

Poor girl, she was so upset until she got that lobotomy.
Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter Rolling Laughter

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 5:41 pm
shosh wrote:
Ok ok, I confess!!!!

When I was in Gateshead.....

Was that the year the girl actually fell out the window to her death? Sad
I think that was Gateshead, late '80s

chaylizi

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 5:43 pm
de_goldy wrote:
amother wrote:
living in israel it's not crazy to have your 7 year old watch the kids at the park. I had to run home one evening for something and left my 1 year old, 3 year old, and 5 year old there, and returned about 5 minutes later....I figure we're all frum, if something happens, most of the people know me, we are all in this together, etc. Well, later I found out that people wanted to call social services on me. My children look a lot younger than they are. but others who knew us reassured them. now, I am petrified. The police love anything that is anti-chareidi. I walk around in fear of the police. For example, I used to leave kids sleeping in the stroller in the downstairs of my building...now, I will never do this, for fear of people calling the police. I often wonder now maybe it's me; maybe I really am not suitable for raising children. I've been told that it's not me, but I often wonder and due to my extreme anxiety over this, there are days that I just wait for the police to come and take the children away......I am not crazy, but with exhaustion and the feeling of being so alone and vulnerable, it can push me over the edge.

I would probably call the police if I saw someone doing either of these things - children that young alone in the park, and a baby asleep alone downstairs of the building. Maybe this fear is good if its causing you to really take care of your children safely.

I would have to agree, de goldy. How irresponsible!

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 5:44 pm
amother wrote:
mama-star wrote:
just because you are frum and chareidi and live in a frum building doesn't mean you should leave your kid sleeping alopne in a stroller downstairs. it always kills me when all the williamsburg mommies (no offense to the willies here) leave their babies in strollers outside a store!! that is crazy!!! shock

I live in a nice, frum naborhood and a member of my shul is a registered relations offender. ive checked the registry and theres lot more in the naborhood. dont think youre safe just because your in a frum place

There's a pedophile in my neighborhood too. He goes to our shul. Crying

amother

Post Mon, Jun 29 2009, 11:26 pm
In California, folks are quick to call the police. When my son was two he was throwing a wild fit - screaming and wanting more ice cream so he was hitting the fridge door while I held it closed. I guess it sounded like someone was being hit because the police showed up at my door after a neighbor called! Thank goodness my son could talk clearly enough to tell the officer that he was mad at me because I wouldn't give him any ice cream. It was all fine in the end but it's scary because we don't have much money so if he was ever taken from us it would be hard to get a lawyer to fight to get him back.

ChossidMom

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 3:34 am
So where is the OP with the rest of the story about why the manager of the restaurant called the cops?

amother

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:05 am
Clarissa when we were graduating highschool, we had something called "muck up day"
Where basicaly the 12th grade do annoying things to get attention. anyway we hung a stuffed makeshift dummy doll out the top floor window dressed in the school uniform with a rope around it's neck.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:06 am
sorry excuse my typo/sp mistake

sarahd

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:31 am
amother wrote:
shosh wrote:
Ok ok, I confess!!!!

Why in the world are you bringing that up in this thread?! It was Manchester, not Gateshead.

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 8:28 am
amother wrote:
Clarissa when we were graduating highschool, we had something called "muck up day"
Where basicaly the 12th grade do annoying things to get attention. anyway we hung a stuffed makeshift dummy doll out the top floor window dressed in the school uniform with a rope around it's neck.
I'm going to assume you see the difference between a high school prank and adults, some of whom have children, doing such a thing where passers-by, including children, might see it.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 9:09 am
Clarissa wrote:
amother wrote:
I'm going to assume you see the difference between a high school prank and adults, some of whom have children, doing such a thing where passers-by, including children, might see it.

actually I don't quite see the difference ... all you need to see is a person hanging irl to get a reality check ... it's not funny at all ...

Clarissa

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 9:20 am
I agree, but I'm trying to cut some slack for people who do things when they're teenagers, because we all did stupid things. When I see somebody hanging, real or fake, I immediately think of all of the Jews being hung by the Nazis to show other prisoners in the concentration camps what might happen to them, like in Elie Weisel's book Night. Can never get that out of my head. Or I think of lynchings in the South -- that's what my husband thought of first, when I told him that some people here hang fake people to commemorate Purim and Haman and his kids and all that. Anyway, it creeps me out, even without thinking of those things.

When my son was little, at his school, when they told the story of Purim they adjusted it for the little kids, just saying that Haman and his children were driven out of town, made to go away, and they weren't ever going to come back and hurt the Jews. It was much more palatable for little kids. I'm glad he didn't find out the gory details until later. Yes, I know the intention was to kill all the Jews, but I still think when they follow the story, it's a lot to digest certain parts of what happened to specific people in the story, even if they're bad guys. So, for little kids, it was easier for them to understand that bad people were sent away forever. I can't imagine how I would have explained people hanging in effigy, or baby dolls, or whatever. That would give me nightmares, forget about my little kids.

sped

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 10:43 am
When I teach the Purim story I say that they hung Haman on a tall tree for everyone to see, and conveniently leave out the partthat he is dead! But honestlt, most of my students have watched enough TV and movies and played computer games that I doubt the thought of Haman being killed would faze them.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 5:56 pm
sarahd wrote:
amother wrote:
shosh wrote:
Ok ok, I confess!!!!

Why in the world are you bringing that up in this thread?! It was Manchester, not Gateshead.

Knowing that a girl actually fell out of the window in that time period in sem in England (sorry, for thinking of the wrong one) and died I didn't think the joke was too funny. I don't know if anyone from her family is on this website, but if they are I don't think they'd find it funny either.

shosh

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:29 pm
Don't misunderstand me, please! I don't remember anyone falling out of any windows when I was at Gateshead. If it happened, it wasn't when I was there. And if it happened elsewhere, we didn't know about it. Our silly joke was nothing to do with such an incident. We only wanted to play a silly prank on the Swiss girls in the room below us.

Please give me more credit than that. I might have a silly sense of humour, but I'm not a total sicko!

amother

Post Tue, Jun 30 2009, 6:43 pm
I wanted to call the cops on my ex (while we were still married), when the threw something at me. I was actually in middle of dialing but he grabbed away the phone. this wasn't the first time he was abusive to me. he also slapped me across the face, but he denied ever doing it.
luckily, I have my get already. I couldn't live with him any longer.

Akeres Habayis

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 8:43 am
clarissa,I've said it before,I really think u can make a living as a comedian.

HindaRochel

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 10:42 am
grin wrote:
well, I also live in Israel and I agree that it's irresponsible to leave children of those ages alone. I'm not even thinking about break-ins - what about fire ch'v or even just a playful kid who turns on the gas? a 7-yr-old really isn't equipped to deal with many daily-life scenarios.

Except it isn't unusual here, at least in some areas. I know kids who are left alone or who are in the care of a sister or brother who is maybe eight or nine.

I know older kids will pick up the younger kids from school. And I've seen young kids walking their much younger siblings home from school.

It does depend on where you live. Since I'm on a yishuv, then things are more lax. But even in the city I've seen this.

Inspired

Post Wed, Jul 01 2009, 10:51 am
8 or 9 is not 5,3 and 1. Or a baby all alone. no comparison at all.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette