Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Adel Odel Udel Aidel
1  2  3  Next

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:29 pm
Because I dont want to veer the nitzevet thread off topic---

Do you know people named Adel? Or Odel? Or Udel?

How is it all pronounced? Does it all have the same meaning? If so, what is it?

I've heard said that the baal shem tov's daughters name was Aidel, Adel, Odel, and Udel. Which is the actual CORRECT name?

And Adel was also dovid hamelechs grand mother?

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:31 pm
I think it's a great name, if you use all of them. Say it five times fast.

Adel Odel Udel Aidel Adel Odel Udel Aidel Adel Odel Udel Aidel Adel Odel Udel AidelAdel Odel Udel Aidel. Sounds like yodeling.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:33 pm
In my velt... Adel is ah-del, Odel is oh-del, Udel is oo-del, and Aidel/Eidel is eye-dul...
I have learned they are all variations from the same German root meaning noble.

Isn't the Hebrew name you're looking for Adael? Adel doesn't mean anything in Hebrew, I think?

mama-star

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:33 pm
I know someone who has a daughter named odel named after the besht's dd.
I always thought that udel or odel was a variation of aidel, but she says it isn't, and that odel/udel is its own name.
nonetheless, I prefer aidel.

BZBEE

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:35 pm
I know a couple of people who are called Aidel.
Or Idy for short.
I think it's a cute name!

Clarissa

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:36 pm
I love Idy (or Idie) for a nickname. So cute.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:36 pm
As for people I know...

I know a Litvish girl Eydel, a chassidish girl Odel, a chassidish girl Adèle (Jewish name Adel but spellt like French name Adèle to look more normal and they do come both from the same root anyway), a "just frum" but with Breslov sympathies family with a Udel...

Seraph

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:37 pm
Ruchel wrote:
In my velt... Adel is ah-del, Odel is oh-del, Udel is oo-del, and Aidel/Eidel is eye-dul...

Isn't the Hebrew name you're looking for Adael? Adel doesn't mean anything in Hebrew, I think?

The people who I know that named their daughters Odel told me that it means Ohdeh La'el- giving thanks to HKBH, and yet after the Besht's daughter. Is that just in their imagination?

Mrs.K

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:38 pm
As far as I know, the Bash"t's daughter was pronounced Oodle. I guess that would be the Udel spelling.
Though it is said that she was a real tzadekes, I'd never be able to do that to my daughter. Always reminds me of Oodles of Noodles.

NotInNJMommy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:41 pm
Mrs.K wrote:
As far as I know, the Bash"t's daughter was pronounced Oodle. I guess that would be the Udel spelling.
Though it is said that she was a real tzadekes, I'd never be able to do that to my daughter.

I've also heard that it's Udel. I know a family for whom she is an ancestress (shorter than writing all the "great's") on both sides, though different chains... They both say Udel like Oodel. I also don't know if I could do that do my child. There's also other common names in my community that I have a hard time with as an option for my child, but at the risk of sounding sacriligious, I'll refrain from going there.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:42 pm
Seraph wrote:
Ruchel wrote:

The people who I know that named their daughters Odel told me that it means Ohdeh La'el- giving thanks to HKBH, and yet after the Besht's daughter. Is that just in their imagination?

I don't know, it seems to me much more possible that it's a Yiddish name and not a name made from a sentence... but maybe they had issue with the German/Yiddish stuff and preferred the Hebrew explanation.

JewishGenealogy says origin is "< Yiddish/German 'noble'"

Last edited by Ruchel on Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:45 pm; edited 1 time in total

BennysMommy

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:44 pm
I know an Adele that pronounces it Ay-dul
I also know that over here in Argentina it's uh-dul. The first time I heard it was when someone was calling her daughter uh-del-eh and the spanish D is more of a th sound so it sounded like uh-the-le and I was like what kind of name is that?!?!?!

e1234

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:48 pm
My daughter is Udel - Alef Daled Lamed.
Adul was the daughter of the baal shem tov and daughter of Rebbe Nachman of Breslov.

e1234

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:50 pm
If you want the meaning of the name - the baal shem tov said it stands for Eish dos lamo - meaning a firey torah.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 1:51 pm
BennysMommy wrote:
I also know that over here in Argentina it's uh-dul. The first time I heard it was when someone was calling her daughter uh-del-eh and the spanish D is more of a th sound so it sounded like uh-the-le and I was like what kind of name is that?!?!?!

I know a South American lady called Mirel, but she writes it Mirul and pronounces it mi-rool (I say mi-rul). I am always confused about this! lol

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:02 pm
mama-star wrote:
I know someone who has a daughter named odel named after the besht's dd.
I always thought that udel or odel was a variation of aidel, but she says it isn't, and that odel/udel is its own name.
nonetheless, I prefer aidel.

Was that me? LOL

OK, since my daughter is named Adel, we looked into it a lot and I'd like to clarify.
The English spelling doesn't matter at all, actually, so whether it's Oodel or Udel or Adel is irrelevant.

There are two names with endless pronunciations. Smile There is אדל and there is איידל. The first was the Baal Shem Tov's daughter, and the second is a Yiddish name, meaning refined. As in aidel maidel.

The name אדל is is an acronym of a posuk, aish dos lamo. I'll have to ask my husband its exact meaning and spelling. It is pronounced differently by different groups of Yidden. Some say Uh-del (as in komatz uh). Those that say komatz as oo, pronounce the name as Oodel or Udel, with the nickname Udi. Sefardim, should they have a reason to give this name, would say it Ah-del (they pronounce komatz as pasach.)

We pronounce our daughter's name as Uh-del, and we spell it Adel. Nickname Adibaby. Very Happy

Aidel is just Aidel. Might be pronounced I-del by some chasidim. Totally different name.

adel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:08 pm
dear e1234, could you pm me? I think it's wonderful that you know so much about this name! the Holy Baal Shem had two daughters with Channah and one was Adil which I spell Adel. Her daughter was Feiga and that's Rebbe Nachman's mommy.

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:09 pm
adel wrote:
dear e1234, could you pm me? I think it's wonderful that you know so much about this name! the Holy Baal Shem had two daughters with Channah and one was Adil which I spell Adel. Her daughter was Feiga and that's Rebbe Nachman's mommy.

Adel was an only daughter. The other child was a son.

GAMZu

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:11 pm
BennysMommy wrote:

Yeah, that's how we pronounce it. Adeleh.

adel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:15 pm
right. that's zvi. good job! I was thinking about rashi and he only had daughters. by the way, I am researching them does anyone have info?
Page 1 of 3 1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names