Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Adel Odel Udel Aidel
Previous  1  2  3  Next

Aidelmom

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 2:50 pm
My dd's name is Aidel (see sn) In hebrew I think it would be Adina. Israelis tend to have a hard time pronouncing Aidel.

adel

Post Wed, Jun 03 2009, 6:17 pm
your dd is a real cutie in that photo!!

lech lecha08

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 1:57 am
My mil grew up in a Breslov home in Israel. She was named Odel after the Baal shem tov's daughter but somehow she became known as "Dalia". But if you were to daven her she'd be Odel bas .....

mominisrael2

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 6:21 am
I have a friend who wanted to name her daughter after her grandmother Aidel but didn't like the name, so she ended up naming her Adiella...

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 6:42 am
lech lecha08 wrote:
My mil grew up in a Breslov home in Israel. She was named Odel after the Baal shem tov's daughter but somehow she became known as "Dalia". But if you were to daven her she'd be Odel bas .....

Maybe because a common Hebrew name is Odelya?

chanchy123

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 6:56 am
Most Breslov people I know use Odel, pronounced Oh-dell. I understand though that Adel, Udel, and Odel are all the same name אדל the daugter of the Besht and the wife/mother of Reb Nachman (breslovers please correct me) and I think also his daughter. It is the most common Breslov name for girls I can think of. When I gave birth to DS two Odels were in our machlaka.

e1234

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 8:09 am
actually most chassidish pronounce it oohdul not odel - odel is more sphardi.
it is a common breslov name but usually faiga comes first

oodlesofnoodles

Post Thu, Jun 04 2009, 8:32 am
This thread is so interesting for me- I learned so much about the origin of my name- thanks!
One of my middle names (yes, I am my parents first daughter and they felt a need to give me two middle names after the relatives who had just passed away from both sides) is Aidel (aaayydel.) The interesting part of all this is that I am named after my great grandmother Udel (as in oodles of noodles) but my parents didn't want to name me Udel because they "couldn't do that do me." and I don't blame them! But if Udel means something totally different than Aidel, I'm not really named after her!

Aidelmom

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 3:39 am
adel wrote:
your dd is a real cutie in that photo!!

Thanks! (assuming you refer to my avatar)

GAMZu

Post Fri, Jun 05 2009, 9:12 am
Aviva, Aidel is totally different than Adel.

Quote:
actually most chassidish pronounce it oohdul not odel - odel is more sphardi.

Actually, that's not right. Satmar and Polish chasidim pronounce it OO, because that's how they say komatz. Many other chasidim (Stolin, Lubavich, Breslov and more) pronounce it Uh as in bud or O as in soft.

Sefardim pronounce it Ah. I don't think there is such a sound in the English language for me to give an example, but it's Ah like you open your mouth for the doctor to see your throat.

I agree, Oooodel isn't quite something you'd want to call your child, unless you are in a very insular community where it's not associated with any English words.

The communities that would pronounce it oo (koomatz oo) are usually ones like Williamsburg where the association with "oodles" has no significance.

For anyone who speaks "komats uh" "shoorook oo" would pronounce it Uh-del.
Which is what we do. But we spell it Adel.

amother

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 1:14 am
Adel is one of the names we're considering. DH and I are both confused about pronunciation, though. The only Adel I've ever known (not frum but probably named for someone who was) pronounced her name uh-dell (rhymes with "a smell"). Is uh-del the same pronunciation? Or is it more rhyming with "huddle"? We both really like the name if we can figure out how to pronounce it!

GAMZu

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 2:01 am
Our Adel sounds kinda like huddle but the d is more pronounced. In "huddle" it's more like r or something, not a pure d. Similar to "uh dull."

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Sep 07 2009, 8:19 am
In Willy when you say Oodel it's not a hard OO as in noodle but more a soft oo as in look.

mrshj

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 3:03 pm
I know of an Udel. Call her Udy for short (Udee)

mazaltov

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 4:37 pm
my friend's name is Odel and she spells it in hebrew alef daled lamed, but for isrealies its hard to say so in isreal she spelled it alef VAV daled lamed- to make it easier for them... the isrealies pronounce it OH- DELL- but in english its OWDUL

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 4:48 pm
Udel is so close to "udder" that ...............

amother

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 4:55 pm
Oh well, Odel...

goodluck

Post Wed, Sep 23 2009, 5:02 pm
Hudy is another name

amother

Post Sun, May 30 2010, 12:20 am
We are looking for a middle name for a girl (expected in less than a month) and in our "Complete book of hebrew baby names" by Smadar Shir Sidi the name Adel is listed as meaning "G-d is eternal" and spelled ayin-dalet-aleph-lamed

Anybody know anything about this variation, which sounds the same as baal shem tov's daughter but seems to be a different name?

We are sephardic BTW, would it be odd?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 14 2010, 2:31 pm
e1234 wrote:
If you want the meaning of the name - the baal shem tov said it stands for Eish dos lamo - meaning a firey torah.

My jewish name is Udel, and I was also told by a relative that this was the Besht's daughter's name and stood for Aish Das Lamo which I find particularly meaningful and makes me proud of my name.

I will note however, that because it is unusual (many people mispronounce and think it is Aidel which it is not - that's a separate name) there is an awkwardness about it. When hebrew teachers would read the roster on the first day of school they always asked what my hebrew name was and when I told them (proudly) there was always a pause. In fact, some teachers who just couldn't get it, called me by my English name as I am known (and hate).
Page 2 of 3 Previous  1  2  3  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names