Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names
Adel Odel Udel Aidel
Previous  1  2  3

Ladybug1

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:06 pm
My grandmother's name was pronounced Udya, but when I read her Ketubah I saw that it was written אדיל. I had no idea how to pronounce אדיל because I've seen it spelled differently, but after researching here and also on this website (https://kehilalinks.jewishgen.org/Kremenets/web-pages/documents/images-from-vr/Given-Names-Female-Hebrew-and-Russian-graphics.PDF) I think that it was probably the same name udil/udel/adel/yudel that others are referring to. My husband is Israeli and never heard of the name "Adil" ("adeeel") but likes it. He said it is not the same as "Adel". We will still spell it אדיל but wanted to pronounce it "adeel". However, when I googled, it seems to be the pronunciation of a male non jewish name. I really don't love the "uddle" pronunciation but I definitely want to keep the exact spelling. Any suggestions? It's a beautiful name with depth and history but everyone seems to disagree on the exact pronunciation.

Ema of 5

Post Sat, Jan 01 2022, 9:08 pm
Seraph wrote:
Because I dont want to veer the nitzevet thread off topic---

Do you know people named Adel? Or Odel? Or Udel?

How is it all pronounced? Does it all have the same meaning? If so, what is it?

I've heard said that the baal shem tov's daughters name was Aidel, Adel, Odel, and Udel. Which is the actual CORRECT name?

And Adel was also dovid hamelechs grand mother?

I know Adel and Udel. I also know Adele, but I don’t know how it’s spelled….

Ladybug1

Post Thu, Jan 27 2022, 4:34 pm
Has anyone ever heard of the name Adilya (pronounced "Adeel-ya")? My grandmothers name was אדיל as written on the ketuba. we are thinking about the girl name Adilya because my grandmother was never called Adil, so we dont know how to pronounce it, and we don't exactly know what it means. She did not even know this was her name. She always said it was Udya ("udge-ya"), which is likely a nickname. ....but I think we might be making up the name Adil im getting exhausted and nothing feels right anymore.

amother
Pansy

Post Sat, Jan 29 2022, 9:40 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:
Has anyone ever heard of the name Adilya (pronounced "Adeel-ya")? My grandmothers name was אדיל as written on the ketuba. we are thinking about the girl name Adilya because my grandmother was never called Adil, so we dont know how to pronounce it, and we don't exactly know what it means. She did not even know this was her name. She always said it was Udya ("udge-ya"), which is likely a nickname. ....but I think we might be making up the name Adil im getting exhausted and nothing feels right anymore.

My cousin has a daughter Odelia.

salt

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 5:51 am
amother [ Pansy ] wrote:
My cousin has a daughter Odelia.

Odelia is a name (it means thanks to G-d).

Adilia has no meaning in Hebrew.

etky

Post Sun, Jan 30 2022, 5:59 am
Odelya is such a beautiful name.
If you're already changing the name by adding the ya suffix, why not consider Odelya instead of Adilya which has no meaning. It's so very close phonetically....

amother
Tan

Post Tue, Feb 01 2022, 5:31 am
I know an Adel, pronounced a-DELL

Ladybug1

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 12:30 pm
etky wrote:
Odelya is such a beautiful name.
If you're already changing the name by adding the ya suffix, why not consider Odelya instead of Adilya which has no meaning. It's so very close phonetically....

I think we are going to go with Odelya Bracha (Udya/Udel for my grandmother, and Bracha for great grandmother), for this week at least Smile for the Jewish names (we are having other names too).

I'm ok with it sounding old fashioned, but I still want it to sound pretty.

etky

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 2:49 pm
Ladybug1 wrote:
I think we are going to go with Odelya Bracha (Udya/Udel for my grandmother, and Bracha for great grandmother), for this week at least Smile for the Jewish names (we are having other names too).

I'm ok with it sounding old fashioned, but I still want it to sound pretty.

Beautiful!
Besha'ah tova.

Ladybug1

Post Wed, Feb 02 2022, 2:56 pm
FYI for anyone who wants to learn more about Udel/Adel/Uddle vs Aidle (as in Maidel) - this shiur pronounces it and tells the source (Aish Daat Lamo from R' Nachman made up for his daughter). Odel is more like a sefardi pronunciation, and odelya is used in Israel by people who dont feel so comfortable with the yiddish "oodle/udle" sounds. Very interesting to hear the source/explanation and very clear pronunciation in the first few minutes.

https://www.torahanytime.com/?.....11448
Page 3 of 3 Previous  1  2  3 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Pregnancy & Childbirth -> Baby Names