Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
Making pesach for the first time, help!!

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:12 pm
anyone in the same boat as me?

Im so overwelmed, this is what I am thinking

get the spice and spirit starter recipe book, or something to that effect, I heard they have one.

I made a list of stuff im thinking we would need, like spounges, and mixing bowls.

so far, only things that we have are: mixer, nut chopper, knives, set of pans.

maybe posters can post what they buy every day, so other members wont forget...

I feel like my food is gonna come out soo bad, im scared to have guests

queen

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:13 pm
don't be afraid to have guests!!! You have company all year round and I have no doubt your a fine cook. Can't search now, but there IS another thread on the topic of advice and what does one need for making pesach the first time.

BE PROUD THAT YOU'RE MAKING PESACH- that's a big step!

Meema2Kids

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:17 pm
I've done it for several years and I still get nervous - but it turns out great!! My biggest advice is to be very organized. Research recipes and make a menu for all the meals, so you'll know exactly what you need to buy, both keilim and food. Hatzlacha!!

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:20 pm
that sounds like a good idea, but cant do it till I get recipes, which I will search now, im sure there is plenty online, but what is good? thats always what it comes down to.

Mommy912

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:45 pm
Potatoes, Potatoes, Potatoes. Oh, and onions and eggs.

Did I mention potatoes?

stem

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:48 pm
Leave at least 1 week for cleaning and turning over the kitchen (fridge, oven, stove, counters, cabinets, sinks, floors). I learned this the hard way the first year I made Pesach.

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:56 pm
well we have been home,and the kitchen was all pesach dik, but I didnt cook anything other than boil an egg, or scrambleon a portable burner with onepot.so I know all about the kashering and all that, except this timewe haveto takeall the potsandpans out of the cabinets to make room for pesachdik ones, rather than just tape it shut and sell it. so theres more work.

thanks for ur help

p.s- mommy912 really cute, yeah im sure im gonnna be making tons and tons of mashed potatoes

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 3:56 pm
Get the companion book to the Nshei chabad Pesach cookbook. (and that too). It's called Countdown to the Seder, and will help you be totally organized for Pesach. It has schedule plans, which you can choose from, like cleaning schedules, or when to kasher your kitchen, according to which day Pesach comes out.

Also loads of checklists for which keilim you need, food order checklists for meat, fruits and veg., clothing for entire family, paper goods, grocery list, space for your notes.

and tips. for example, how to keep the table crumb-free for those who are careful with not having gebrokts ; ideas that work.

hardwrknmom

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 4:36 pm
We eat everything (kosher L'pesach that is)!
If you need any reciepe for salads or chicken Ill be glad to help!!

chocolate moose

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 4:38 pm
Come tonite to the workshop!

Pickle Lady

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 6:00 pm
This is my 3rd year making pesach at home (meaning major cooking meals, not just making it pesachik like you have in your past). So it wasn't long ago that I was in your shoes.

One thing is that you can keep it simple, really simple. You can make alot of delicous dishes on just the stove top.

We used plastic diposables our first year and then last year we bought dishes. Depending on your customs, might depend on what you would need.

Like we have the custom to make our own juices besides grape so a citrus squeezer was important, an electric one.

klotzkashe

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 8:32 pm
A big stock pot for soup is really important!!!

It's also great for boiling lots of potatoes at a time.

FOr pesach one of the best thigns to do is to boil a huge pot of potatoes and keep cooked potatoes in ur freidge. that way you can make mashed potatoes/potato salad/mashed potato latkes and other things in a mattter of minutes. the same goes for hard boiled eggs.

Also if you keep cooked chicken in the fridge (it only last 2-3 days if you don't freeze it) than u can maek chicken salad (mayo, salt and veggies) and have that for lunch in the day. Or fry it up with mashed potatoes for a quick meal.

Fish - if you wnat to make it easy then buy fillets (bc they cook really quickly and taste delicious). I made gefilteh fish logs last year nad it was the biggest job to do (mix it all and then put inot log shapes and then boil it etc.) This year I'm sticking to a few types of fish (filleted) which I'll bake with lemon juice and salt and chopped vegies.

If you use pumpkin on pesach - pumpkin soup is also a big hit.

ie. to make things easier for yourself if you prepare huge batches of foods then you can simply freeze/reheat and u may find that your husband can prepare himself some meals ALL BY HIMSELF!!!

Make urself lists of ALL The things u need for the seder
ie. simonei haseder etc. and make sure that you have them ALL ready before yom tov comes in. this will spare u alot of heartache during the seder. ie. maror (adn dry maror for korech) - shleimos for the seder, little cups for the 4 kosos, hardboiled eggs (already peeled), salt water, charoses etc. All these thigns should be prepared early in the day (and you're suppose dto have had them ready before yom tov).

Just a bunch of mismatched hints and tips! sorry for being disjointed

Milk Munch

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 9:47 pm
Plan for much more time to turn over your kitchen than you think you'll need. It's better to be pesachdik for one extra day than to be rushed into a panic trying to squeeze all your cooking into one day.
I learned this the HARD way!!!

Also, I never got what the big deal with potatoes is.
We go through maybe a few potato kugels the whole yom tov. And those I make for the sake of tradition.
Go to your supermarket and look around at all the vegetables. What a variety Hashem has created! Pick up some things you don't usually buy and look up how to prepare them. You can make really nice side dishes and salads. Jicama, kohlarabi, sweet potato, rutabega, coconut, taro, turnips....
Alot of these veggies I used to think you had to cook, but many make really nice raw dishes. (Kohlarabi slaw, turnip slaw for example). And fruit that I never thought of cooking can be really good cooked (apple kugel as a side dish). Get creative and have fun!

I second the suggestion to buy a really good citrus juicer (we have a braun we really like, very efficient design, keeps all the juice and no seeds!). Before Yom Tov we juice a ton of lemons and limes and keep them in containers in the fridge. Then its ready to season a salad or to mix up a punch (lemon, lime and grape juice).

Good luck!

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 10:08 pm
thanks everyone for your responses:

hardwrkn- I cant remember what I usedtoeat at home,as far as salads went, so maybe you can give me some ideas?

sarag- I dont live in Crown Heights, but thanksanyway

klotzkashe-thanks for all your tips, we just went tonight to get pans and stuff like that, but I didnt get a big stock pot, thanksfort that!!!

shoy18

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 10:24 pm
go through any cookbook it doenst have to be peaschdike, most meats and chicken and salad recipes dont call for chometz. any recipe you see that is chometz free photo copy and put with peasch stuff!

I dont know where you live, but here in NY they sell plastic silverware that looks real, its amazing, for sedarim if you have a lot of people and dont have a lot of silverware. they sell it in paperific in Brooklyn

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 10:28 pm
thanks shoy, we just ordered a whole buffet set of silverware, with dishes. I wanted to get that this first time, and not think about it again. I dont like continious use of plastic, after a while it gets expensive, I dont mind the dishes.

you are so right about the recipes, thanks again!

TzenaRena

Post Thu, Mar 16 2006, 10:51 pm
Shayna, have you seen the purple N'shei Chabad Pesach Cookbook? Lots of excellent recipes and loads of ideas, tips, and complete rundown of the Seder, and preparations. Complete list of utensils needed. a good investment. costs about $17. Softcover, nice and thick.

I also downloaded a Pesach cookbook from Nshei of London, England. I forgot from which site though.

On Pesach, I make my chicken on the stovetop, layering onions, sweet potato and carrot slices with some orange sections, cook on low flame till tender, either no water, or only 1/4 inch. It's so delicious, we don't mind the white meat, even though normally everyone likes the dark. This was a recipe from the Pesach cookbook.

do you have a good food processor? I find it indispensible for the potato kugels. we also use it to grate the morror, and process the charoses,but my SIL insists that the only machine that gets the morror right is a grinder. ( I'm pretty sure their's is electric.)

shayna82

Post Fri, Mar 17 2006, 9:10 am
sara yehudis, yes Ive seen all the spice and spirit cookbooks, but I never needed to buy one. im going this morning to scout them out. I just ordered a food processor, pots and pans, knive set, and last night I got a ton of pans.

thanks!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics