Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Easy Oven Farfel Recipe
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

reed

Post Wed, Sep 05 2012, 11:02 am
Grandma 1 wrote:
Sounds yummy! Has anyone tried adding canned mushrooms to the mix before cooking?

Mushrooms or other julienned veggies that I often add to my brown rice are a great addition when I bake my farfel or couscous.

ra_mom

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 6:40 pm
Shaindy ausch of ami magazine published this recipe in the whisk soux chef column this week. I thought it was strange that she didn't mention that it wasn't her own recipe and that she got it off of imamother.

I got this recipe from a friend of mine, who got it from a friend of hers. The original calls for 1/4 cup sugar and 2 1/2 cups water. Shaindy published the imamother version.

chocolate moose

Post Sun, Jan 13 2013, 6:48 pm
ra_mom wrote:
Shaindy ausch of ami magazine published this recipe in the whisk soux chef column this week. I thought it was strange that she didn't mention that it wasn't her own recipe and that she got it off of imamother.

I got this recipe from a friend of mine, who got it from a friend of hers. The original calls for 1/4 cup sugar and 2 1/2 cups water. Shaindy published the imamother version.

is this loshon horah?

PinkFridge

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:49 am
[quote="]I thought it was strange that she didn't mention that it wasn't her own recipe and that she got it off of imamother.

I got this recipe from a friend of mine, who got it from a friend of hers. The original calls for 1/4 cup sugar and 2 1/2 cups water. [/quote]

She may not have got it from imamother. There are some recipes that are so entrenched one almost forgets where they come from. Might be surprising but probably room to be dlkz.

mfb

Post Mon, Jan 14 2013, 10:55 am
ra_mom wrote:

I have a very similar recipe not from imam other but from someone who's been doing it like this for years

Pamela

Post Mon, Jul 29 2013, 4:14 am
Wow! I just saw this post while searching for a side dish recipe and I'm shocked that someone would dirt mouth some one else like that. Why wouldn't you think that maybe their is actually some one else out their that also has this type of recipe? I happen to know shaindy Ausch of the whisk and she doesn't even have Internet!! She is an outstanding veteran chef. Maybe some apologizing and Dan lkaf zchus is in order. Sorry I got so upset, its just that shaindy is the most honest and talented person I know and would never "steal" a recipe...

anotherima

Post Tue, Dec 10 2013, 2:17 pm
This is a great recipe, making it again today!

hi its me

Post Mon, Dec 23 2013, 9:54 pm
this recipe is delicous and foolproof. tx for posting it

Momrus

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 1:12 pm
Will the recipe work with matzah farfel?

PinkFridge

Post Thu, May 01 2014, 8:19 pm
Momrus wrote:
Will the recipe work with matzah farfel?

Probably. I don't think you'll go wrong if you add a few more spoons of water.

The Happy Wife

Post Thu, May 15 2014, 3:14 pm
Just made this! I didn't use as much sugar, and I added some frozen diced onion. Delicious, and so easy! My only comps ain't us that when I went to taste a bite, I couldn't stop eating it! Very Happy

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 4:52 pm
I noted this recipe ages ago when I first saw it and now just tried it (with many changes -- how I always cook!). We are in a temporary home for around a year with very limited kitchen facilities so I couldn't make it on the stove as I normally would, so it was the perfect time to try it.

I used the Osem pearl (little balls) couscous as some other posters mentioned, added a very finely chopped onion and changed seasonings. I used the whole package and put it in a 9 x 13 pan since I will also put in more water (which I do when making it on the stove) as we like it very soft.

It's cooking now, but I'll report back when it's done.

Thanks, as always, ra_mom.

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:11 pm
OOTBubby, that's hysterical. I was just going to post that I did exactly the same thing!! (made it with couscous, added onions, also put in mushrooms) and would report back Smile

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 5:12 pm
ectomorph wrote:
OOTBubby, that's hysterical. I was just going to post that I did exactly the same thing!! (made it with couscous, added onions, also put in mushrooms) and would report back Smile

Great minds think alike! Very Happy

ectomorph

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 6:26 pm
So mine came out a little bland. Maybe I didn't salt it enough? Also, I should have added the sauteed onions after it was done. But it's good enough to serve to guests.

OOTBubby, how did yours come out?

OOTBubby

Post Thu, Sep 11 2014, 7:42 pm
ectomorph wrote:
So mine came out a little bland. Maybe I didn't salt it enough? Also, I should have added the sauteed onions after it was done. But it's good enough to serve to guests.

Looks good, but I didn't taste it yet. I'll let you know when I do. I browned it much longer (over 30 minutes) before adding the water because we like it really browned.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Sep 12 2014, 2:14 pm
ectomorph wrote:

Delicious. The onions weren't as soft as they'd have been if I'd have sauteed them first, but they weren't hard either; perfectly acceptable.

The flavor was great. I used my usual farfel/couscous seasoning of around 2 tablespoons chicken soup powder and a dash of pepper, but I also added the sugar in the recipe and I think that enhanced the taste greatly.

BTW, I used a whole package of couscous (8.8 oz) in a 9 x 13 pan. I browned it for around 30 minutes, then added 4 cups of water and covered it and cooked it for an hour. Came out perfect.

Mevater

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 9:25 am
ra_mom wrote:
1 (8 oz.) pkg. farfel (really good with Ferencz's Mama farfel)
1/4 cup oil
2 Tbsp sugar
1-1/2 tsp garlic powder
1-1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper

2-3/4 cup water (don't add until later)

Preheat oven to 400.
Combine farfel, oil and spices in a pan and mix well. (Pan size: about half the size of a 9x13, but deep.)
Place pan in oven for 10 - 15 minutes (I usually set the timer for 13 minutes), or until farfel is browned.
Add 2-3/4 cups water and cover tightly with foil.
Bake covered for 1 hour.
Keep tightly covered until ready to serve.

(NOTE: If your bag of farfel is larger than 8 oz., use a scant 1-1/2 cups of the farfel.
ra_mom, I just want you to know that every time I make this recipe, I bless you. Its easy and yummy!

ra_mom

Post Wed, Oct 08 2014, 2:07 pm
Mevater wrote:
ra_mom, I just want you to know that every time I make this recipe, I bless you. Its easy and yummy!
Thank you! G'mar Tov

here2chill

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 4:36 pm
ra_mom would this recipe work if I put parchment paper in the pan? I don't bake directly in aluminum pans.
Page 3 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes