Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes
Easy Oven Farfel Recipe
Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:40 pm
here2chill wrote:
ra_mom would this recipe work if I put parchment paper in the pan? I don't bake directly in aluminum pans.

I don't see why it wouldn't.

here2chill

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't see why it wouldn't.

Parchment paper would not be as hot as directly on aluminum. I'm thinking if I should put less water?

ra_mom

Post Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:46 pm
here2chill wrote:
Parchment paper would not be as hot as directly on aluminum. I'm thinking if I should put less water?

Leave the water content. If after an hour you see it needs more time, just put it back in the oven.

forever21

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 7:18 am
Great recipe ra mom! Just wondering, how should I reheat him if I'm going to freeze it? And will it come out as good if I double the recipe?
As easy as it is to make, it's going to be hard to make it close to shavous bec I cook most foods at 350.
Also, it's a great food to eat for shalos seudos bec it tastes good at room temperature !

OOTBubby

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 10:04 am
forever21 wrote:
Great recipe ra mom! Just wondering, how should I reheat him if I'm going to freeze it? And will it come out as good if I double the recipe?
As easy as it is to make, it's going to be hard to make it close to shavous bec I cook most foods at 350.
Also, it's a great food to eat for shalos seudos bec it tastes good at room temperature !

It is much better fresh, but I usually make a full recipe and divide it up to freeze as we're often just 2 people eating. I defrost and reheat it wrapped in foil. It is fine. If you want to double it, it might be easiest to do it in 2 pans, but I have doubled it and made it in one 9 x 13. You may need to adjust the amount of water. And I do this with couscous as well as farfel.

naomi6

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 10:13 am
I was using this recipe then I found Weinstocks spicy farfel very easy boil oil and water and cook for 8 min. Its heaven. Freezes very well in ziploc sandwich bags

naomi6

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 10:14 am
I was using this recipe then I found Weinstocks spicy farfel very easy boil oil and water and cook for 8 min. Its heaven. Freezes very well in ziploc sandwich bags

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 11:55 am
forever21 wrote:

If you don't have time to play with adjustments for doubling, just make two pans.
It freezes well, I freeze in airtight container. Defrost fully, use a fork to break up any clumps, and reheat tightly sealed in oven until steaming hot. This is important if you want it to taste good reheated.

forever21

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 1:26 pm
Thanks! I've never actually made it using farfel, only couscous.

mha3484

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 1:31 pm
I want to try this! Any one know where I can get spelt farfel?

ra_mom

Post Fri, May 15 2015, 1:42 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I want to try this! Any one know where I can get spelt farfel?

http://www.amazon.com/Friedman.....CKND4

Laiya

Post Thu, Jul 09 2015, 11:45 pm
I know I'm late t the party here, but I just wanted to say that I made this last Shabbos and it was heaven!! I was actually pretty skeptical that farfel could taste good without sauted onions, but it did, and so easy too! Very Happy

Chayap

Post Mon, Jul 13 2015, 3:51 pm
I've made this recipe several times. It is delicious! My family loves it! Thanks for sharing! Smile

etky

Post Thu, Sep 10 2015, 10:59 am
I just made this with ptitim (round type) and it came out great (made it as written just doubled everything except the sugar).
Just a piece of advice to any of the Israeli imamothers who might be making this: if you use the cheap chad peami 9x 13 pans like the ones from Rami Levy, they may leak. I had to quickly put the pan inside another b/c it started leaking and then that one started leaking too so I ended up needing a third.
I'm going to invest in a stack of the better quality pans just for this recipe!

aqua1

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:29 pm
For those of you who make this with the osem couscous balls (ptitim), how do you adapt the recipe? Do you use a whole bag? What is the water to couscous ratio? For 1.5 cups, do you still use 2-3/4 cups of water? I feel like it would need less...

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:32 pm
aqua1 wrote:
For those of you who make this with the osem couscous balls (ptitim), how do you adapt the recipe? Do you use a whole bag? What is the water to couscous ratio? For 1.5 cups, do you still use 2-3/4 cups of water? I feel like it would need less...

I posted earlier in the thread about this:
I used a whole package of couscous (8.8 oz) in a 9 x 13 pan. I browned it for around 30 minutes, then added 4 cups of water and covered it and cooked it for an hour. Came out perfect.

aqua1

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:56 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I posted earlier in the thread about this:
I used a whole package of couscous (8.8 oz) in a 9 x 13 pan. I browned it for around 30 minutes, then added 4 cups of water and covered it and cooked it for an hour. Came out perfect.

Did you adjust the other ingredients as well?

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Oct 26 2015, 1:06 pm
aqua1 wrote:
Did you adjust the other ingredients as well?

Not except for using chicken soup powder instead of the other seasonings.

Busymom104

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:31 am
What size foil pan should I be using for the original recipe here (8 oz package)? Anyone know the pan dimensions?

GrowingUp

Post Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:11 am
Busymom104 wrote:
What size foil pan should I be using for the original recipe here (8 oz package)? Anyone know the pan dimensions?

I use an 8” or 9” square or round disposable aluminum pan. Whichever one I happen to have on hand.
Page 4 of 5 Previous  1  2  3  4  5  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes