Home

Easy Oven Farfel Recipe
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >>
 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes


View latest: 24h 48h 72h


ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:40 pm
here2chill wrote:
ra_mom would this recipe work if I put parchment paper in the pan? I don't bake directly in aluminum pans.

I don't see why it wouldn't.
Back to top

here2chill




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:43 pm
ra_mom wrote:
I don't see why it wouldn't.


Parchment paper would not be as hot as directly on aluminum. I'm thinking if I should put less water?
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Nov 27 2014, 5:46 pm
here2chill wrote:
Parchment paper would not be as hot as directly on aluminum. I'm thinking if I should put less water?

Leave the water content. If after an hour you see it needs more time, just put it back in the oven.
Back to top

forever21




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 7:18 am
Great recipe ra mom! Just wondering, how should I reheat him if I'm going to freeze it? And will it come out as good if I double the recipe?
As easy as it is to make, it's going to be hard to make it close to shavous bec I cook most foods at 350.
Also, it's a great food to eat for shalos seudos bec it tastes good at room temperature !
Back to top

OOTBubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 10:04 am
forever21 wrote:
Great recipe ra mom! Just wondering, how should I reheat him if I'm going to freeze it? And will it come out as good if I double the recipe?
As easy as it is to make, it's going to be hard to make it close to shavous bec I cook most foods at 350.
Also, it's a great food to eat for shalos seudos bec it tastes good at room temperature !


It is much better fresh, but I usually make a full recipe and divide it up to freeze as we're often just 2 people eating. I defrost and reheat it wrapped in foil. It is fine. If you want to double it, it might be easiest to do it in 2 pans, but I have doubled it and made it in one 9 x 13. You may need to adjust the amount of water. And I do this with couscous as well as farfel.
Back to top

naomi6




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 10:13 am
I was using this recipe then I found Weinstocks spicy farfel very easy boil oil and water and cook for 8 min. Its heaven. Freezes very well in ziploc sandwich bags
Back to top

naomi6




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 10:14 am
I was using this recipe then I found Weinstocks spicy farfel very easy boil oil and water and cook for 8 min. Its heaven. Freezes very well in ziploc sandwich bags
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 11:55 am
forever21 wrote:
Great recipe ra mom! Just wondering, how should I reheat him if I'm going to freeze it? And will it come out as good if I double the recipe?
As easy as it is to make, it's going to be hard to make it close to shavous bec I cook most foods at 350.
Also, it's a great food to eat for shalos seudos bec it tastes good at room temperature !

If you don't have time to play with adjustments for doubling, just make two pans.
It freezes well, I freeze in airtight container. Defrost fully, use a fork to break up any clumps, and reheat tightly sealed in oven until steaming hot. This is important if you want it to taste good reheated.
Back to top

forever21




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 1:26 pm
Thanks! I've never actually made it using farfel, only couscous.
Back to top

mha3484




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 1:31 pm
I want to try this! Any one know where I can get spelt farfel?
Back to top

ra_mom




 
 
 
 

Post  Fri, May 15 2015, 1:42 pm
mha3484 wrote:
I want to try this! Any one know where I can get spelt farfel?


http://www.amazon.com/Friedman.....CKND4
Back to top

Laiya




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Jul 09 2015, 11:45 pm
I know I'm late t the party here, but I just wanted to say that I made this last Shabbos and it was heaven!! I was actually pretty skeptical that farfel could taste good without sauted onions, but it did, and so easy too! Very Happy
Back to top

Chayap




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Jul 13 2015, 3:51 pm
I've made this recipe several times. It is delicious! My family loves it! Thanks for sharing! Smile
Back to top

etky




 
 
 
 

Post  Thu, Sep 10 2015, 10:59 am
I just made this with ptitim (round type) and it came out great (made it as written just doubled everything except the sugar).
Just a piece of advice to any of the Israeli imamothers who might be making this: if you use the cheap chad peami 9x 13 pans like the ones from Rami Levy, they may leak. I had to quickly put the pan inside another b/c it started leaking and then that one started leaking too so I ended up needing a third.
I'm going to invest in a stack of the better quality pans just for this recipe!
Back to top

aqua1




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:29 pm
For those of you who make this with the osem couscous balls (ptitim), how do you adapt the recipe? Do you use a whole bag? What is the water to couscous ratio? For 1.5 cups, do you still use 2-3/4 cups of water? I feel like it would need less...
Back to top

OOTBubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:32 pm
aqua1 wrote:
For those of you who make this with the osem couscous balls (ptitim), how do you adapt the recipe? Do you use a whole bag? What is the water to couscous ratio? For 1.5 cups, do you still use 2-3/4 cups of water? I feel like it would need less...


I posted earlier in the thread about this:
I used a whole package of couscous (8.8 oz) in a 9 x 13 pan. I browned it for around 30 minutes, then added 4 cups of water and covered it and cooked it for an hour. Came out perfect.
Back to top

aqua1




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2015, 12:56 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
I posted earlier in the thread about this:
I used a whole package of couscous (8.8 oz) in a 9 x 13 pan. I browned it for around 30 minutes, then added 4 cups of water and covered it and cooked it for an hour. Came out perfect.


Did you adjust the other ingredients as well?
Back to top

OOTBubby




 
 
 
 

Post  Mon, Oct 26 2015, 1:06 pm
aqua1 wrote:
Did you adjust the other ingredients as well?

Not except for using chicken soup powder instead of the other seasonings.
Back to top

Busymom104




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 10:31 am
What size foil pan should I be using for the original recipe here (8 oz package)? Anyone know the pan dimensions?
Back to top

GrowingUp




 
 
 
 

Post  Tue, Oct 29 2019, 11:11 am
Busymom104 wrote:
What size foil pan should I be using for the original recipe here (8 oz package)? Anyone know the pan dimensions?


I use an 8” or 9” square or round disposable aluminum pan. Whichever one I happen to have on hand.
Back to top
Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next  Last >> Recent Topics

Page 4 of 5 View latest: 24h 48h 72h


Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Kugels and Side Dishes

Related Topics Replies Last Post
Kishke recipe by weight
by amother
0 Yesterday at 5:26 pm View last post
Help! Need recipe for pickled tongue SAUCE no brown sugar
by amother
5 Yesterday at 3:38 pm View last post
Shavuos recipe Greek salad from The Dairy Gourmet
by binah36
1 Yesterday at 10:46 am View last post
ISO of recipe for kolichl/short ribs 5 Thu, May 28 2020, 11:47 am View last post
Churro bundt cake recipe 7 Wed, May 27 2020, 11:42 pm View last post

Jump to: