Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Your Shabbos dishes
1  2  Next

Do you have special dishes for Shabbos
Yes  
 78%  [ 59 ]
No  
 17%  [ 13 ]
Other  
 4%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 75

amother

Post Sat, Jun 20 2009, 2:56 pm
Are they the same as your during the week fleishige dishes, or special for Shabbos?

Marion

Post Sat, Jun 20 2009, 3:24 pm
I have only one set of fleishig dishes, but we do have nicer milchig dishes for Shabbat/chag.

hycup

Post Sat, Jun 20 2009, 3:30 pm
Just like I have special shoes and clothing just for shabbos, so too we have special fleishige dishes. (we don't have milchig ever on shabbos or yom tov, so...) The set we have is not china, but they are very nice. We got a whole set (large plate, salad plate, soup bowl, tea cups, serving bowels, etc) for 12 settings as a wedding gift. If we hadn't gotten them, I would have spent the money on china.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Jun 20 2009, 9:37 pm
I have pretty China for Shabbos. It's not fancy but I really like it, and I hve serving pieces and cups to match.

RachelEve14

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 1:50 am
I checked other. We have 2 sets of corelle dishes, and we bought a set of 12 so we would have plenty. Now during hte week the kids use plastic, and dh & I use the milk corelle (we hardly serve dairy on Shabbot except Seuda Shishit). For meat we mostly use plastic (even dh & I), but sometimes the corelle. Meat during the week is usually Shabbot leftovers. It's more like "grab the last bowl of chicken soup and eat with imamother" rather than a sit down meal. Now we don't have the money or space for anotehr set of dishes, but when the kids get bigger and using real dishes I hope to be able to buy a set for weekday meat and save the ones I have now just for Shabbot.

ClaRivka

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 2:02 am
We have 1 set of milchig dishes-corelle

we have 1 set of china (a hand me down from my parents, it has a few chips....) and another set from my husbands grandmother that are in good shape and really fancy and have all the matching serving ware too.

During the week we only really eat off of paper anyway so we kinda go between one china to the other.

flowerpower

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 3:08 am
I have one pretty set of china and use it for both.

PinkFridge

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 8:53 am
I have a second, prettier set of Corelle. There was a store selling cheap, pretty china but china scares me. It chips and breaks too easily. When I can afford it I'd much rather go for pretty stoneware or Corelle.

(OK, I should do this anonymously if I care for kids' shidduch prospects ;-)

Raisin

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 9:15 am
I have iset of corelle for milchigs, and one for meat. And a nice set of stoneware for shabbos. my corelle meat dishes have almost all smashed after 10 years so I do need to replace them though. its not urgent becasue I have the shabbos dishes but my corelle dishes fit into the dishwasher better so I prefer them.

amother

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 9:48 am
I have a set of expensive china sitting in storage. I got it as a gift and don't like or need or even want it. We have one set of dairy and one set of meat dishes, but we very rarely eat meaty during the week - only Shabbos leftovers - and it's a nice set that we chose with Shabbos in mind. So... I checked other!

cm

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 10:18 am
Three sets of dishes here: everyday, china, and pesach - all milchig!

bbmom

Post Sun, Jun 21 2009, 12:58 pm
Two sets of dishes, one milchig, one fleishig. No special dishes for shabbos.

Although I have mountains of fancy serving dishes. Some were wedding gifts but most were chanukah/end of year gifts from students, and some came in student shaloch manos. I never use them and most of them are not even toiveled.

louche

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 9:59 am
My inlaws gave us a wedding gift of expensive brand-name stoneware that we designated for Shabbos because it was service for 12, and I already had service for 4 for every day. Eventually we bought a Corelle service for 12 for every day which not only looks more elegant than our Shabbos dishes, but also weighs a fraction of what they do. We started using the Corelle for Shabbos, too, and the others sit there collecting dust.

As soon as one of our kids gets married, s/he's getting those dishes whether s/he wants them or not, (it's still a complete service for 12, as we hardly used them) and then we'll decide whether or not we want to buy another set of Corelle for Shabbos. Probably not--at my stage of life, I'm looking forward to getting rid of possessions, not to acquiring more.

curlytop

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 10:13 am
Nope, only one set of Fleishegs.
But I'm happy, they are very nice.
Maybe one day...

Blair

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 11:14 am
I have Rosenthal Fine China for Shabbos and for special occasions, stoneware for the week for dairy and glass for meat during the week. Almost never use disposable didn't grow up with it so I find it hard to use.

LuckyMum

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 11:21 am
Corelle for fleishig weekday and stoneware for milchig - and a set of nice china (wedding gift) for shabbos - silver plated flatware too...

sunshine!

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 11:22 am
I have a beautiful set of bone china for Shabbos that I received as a gift when I got married. I have corelle for weekday. We already have two shattered pieces in the Shabbos set and replacing them costs a fortune (the downside of owning expensive dishes).

Barbara

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 12:55 pm
Where do I begin?

DH came complete with meat and milk Noritake china, used for everyday and Shabbat. Why a man who can't boil water needed Noritake for every day, I don't know. They may be his parents' hand-me-downs. He's not really clear on that.

The dairy are hideous, so they're packed away, and we use a combination of plastic and my parents' wedding china (which had never been used) for dairy.

I didn't have enough meat dishes, so I bought 8 Correlle plates for everyday.

I also have my wedding china, which is rarely used. Actually, I'm thinking of using it more often these days, as I love it.

I'll also eventually take my grandparents' china from the 1920s, which is magnificent.

Add inexpensive stonewear for Pesach, and you have ... a lot of dishes.

OOTBubby

Post Mon, Jun 22 2009, 1:30 pm
We use Lenox fine china and sterling silver cutlery (20 place settings, much of it received as wedding gifts, but we added additional place settings) always for Shabbos and yom tov (fleishigs -- we don't serve milchigs on Shabbos or YT). We use it even if it is just me and DH.

I'm a BT and wouldn't have know what to do, but that is how my DH was raised.

I also have 12 place settings each of weekday Mikasa dishes for milchig and fleishig.

Many of my married kids have done as I have (though only one has sterling flatware, the others have silverplate), but not all.

Twoisacharm

Post Wed, Jun 24 2009, 11:28 am
this is the reason I love setting up my table on thursday!!! I get to see and enjoy the beautiful china dishes my parents bought as a wedding gift and the sparkling silver cutlery my grandparents bought as a wedding gift!!!

my table looks fit for a queen and im darn well proud of it!!!!!

and it only gets better if DH surprises me with a bunch of flowers to adorn the center of the (in the words of Sarah Lee embarrassed ) tablescape!!!!!!
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics