Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen
What bracha do you make on cooked brown rice? rice cakes?
1  2  Next

what bracha do you make on cooked brown rice?
ha'adama  
 5%  [ 3 ]
shehakol  
 20%  [ 12 ]
mezonot  
 75%  [ 45 ]
Total Votes : 60

grin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 6:27 am
I used to make ha'adama until I noticed that the rice cakes pkg's here in Israel clearly say to make a shehakol, so I asked my rov recently who told me to make shehakol also on cooked rice. What brocha do you say?

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 6:45 am
We say mezonos on rice and adama on rice cakes.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 6:58 am
My rav said that if it sticks together, its mezonos, and if its individual grains its haadama. So brown rice GENERALLY is individual grains, so that would be haadama, but depending on how you cook it, it could be mezonos. Rice cakes stick together and hence are mezonos, according to my rav.

smilethere

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 7:01 am
Before eating rice, we make a mezonos, hadaama and a shehakol on other foods therefore satisfying all possible brochos. Borei Nefashos afterwards.
on rice cakes shehokal.

This could possible be just a chassidic minhag?

grin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 7:02 am
MS and seraph: that's what I had thought, too - turned out that was for white rice, not brown.

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 7:03 am
We say adama for rice cakes because of how they are made - the rice is stuck together via air - not cooked.

It's so interesting the different minhags - weird.

Seraph

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 7:14 am
grin wrote:
MS and seraph: that's what I had thought, too - turned out that was for white rice, not brown.
So I asked a rav specifically about brown rice, and he said that.
He said granola also works the same way- if its individual peices, its haadama, and if its clumps, mezonos.

greenfire

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 7:36 am
try to find something mezonos and ha'adama on which to say the brocha first ...

Mimisinger

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 8:38 am
btw, was curious....R.Bodner's Halachos of Brachos says this too:

We say mezonos on rice and adama on rice cakes.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 10:23 am
Lubavitchers do a mezonos on a cracker, a ha'adamah on a vegetable, and a shehakol on something before we eat rice.

grin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 10:58 am
chocolate moose wrote:
Lubavitchers do a mezonos on a cracker, a ha'adamah on a vegetable, and a shehakol on something before we eat rice.
well, I'm also lubavich, and my LOR told me that this is problematic because then you're obviously making the bracha for the rice and not the other food, which makes the 2nd food tafeil and not warranting a bracha at all. So you either wash on bread - and eat it as part of a full-fledged meal - or say shehakol, this being a case of a food that rabbanim themselves aren't sure of the correct bracha.

70 panim laTorah.

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 12:14 pm
grin wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:
well, I'm also lubavich, and my LOR told me that this is problematic because then you're obviously making the bracha for the rice and not the other food, which makes the 2nd food tafeil and not warranting a bracha at all. So you either wash on bread - and eat it as part of a full-fledged meal - or say shehakol, this being a case of a food that rabbanim themselves aren't sure of the correct bracha.

70 panim laTorah.

I'll bet you that the rov you asked isn't a Lubavitcher !

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 12:23 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
grin wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

70 panim laTorah.

???? I'm not sure how you would know that.
FYI: The Alter Rebbe's Birchas HaNehenin isn't so straightforward and poshut on the rice "issue" itself, and I've heard (in passing, not having asked my own shailah) answers from Lubavitch rabbonim to say shehakol.

gryp

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 12:35 pm
In high school we learned we're supposed to say shehakol because we don't know the real bracha but it's best to eat mezonos first on something else and have it in mind.
Then I learned that one should also say a "ha'adama" first.
Afterwards, I learned that washing for bread is the best way to go.

grin

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 1:06 pm
chocolate moose wrote:
grin wrote:
chocolate moose wrote:

70 panim laTorah.

R. Shusterman from Calif isn't Lubavitch enough for you?!

ra_mom

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 2:10 pm
We make a Mezonos before eating rice, and a BOREI NIFASHOS after eating rice.

amother

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 2:22 pm
According to Rabbi Chaiken, who im pretty sure is lubavitch even according to chocolate moose, said to say shehakol on white rice and ha'adama on brown rice.

Mommy3.5

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 2:54 pm
mezonot on cooked rice
Haadama on rice crispies. I have to ask about rice cakes, I'm not sure.

red sea

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 5:32 pm
ra_mom wrote:
We make a Mezonos before eating rice, and a BOREI NIFASHOS after eating rice.

we as well.

jemappelle

Post Tue, Jun 23 2009, 7:43 pm
the acronym for cooked rice is AMEN (alef, mem, num) = Orez (rice) Mezonos Nefashos
Rice cakes however are made from puffed (not cooked) rice, rendering them haadama
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Kosher Kitchen