Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> The Social Scene -> Entertainment
Michael jackson died...
Previous  1  2  3  4  Next

mama-star

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 8:57 pm
ok, he was a musical genius, I give you that. I love old j-5/michael jackson stuff, I grew up listening to him. I even got a sequined glove kit art project thingy one chanuka. I was in 1st grade. but he was weird, and probably a pedophile, and yes, I agree, he likely had his demons that led him to all his plastic surgery, etc. one memorable comment I remember was, "he was a cute black man who turned himself into an ugly white woman."

but anywaaaaay...why on gimel tamuz? will I always associate gimel tamuz with wacko jacko? maybe the rebbe is still vanquishing the world's klipah.... LOL

NotInNJMommy

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 8:59 pm
mama-star wrote:
ok, he was a musical genius, I give you that. I love old j-5/michael jackson stuff, I grew up listening to him. I even got a sequined glove kit art project thingy one chanuka. I was in 1st grade. but he was weird, and probably a pedophile, and yes, I agree, he likely had his demons that led him to all his plastic surgery, etc. one memorable comment I remember was, "he was a cute black man who turned himself into an ugly white woman."

but anywaaaaay...why on gimel tamuz? will I always associate gimel tamuz with wacko jacko? maybe the rebbe is still vanquishing the world's klipah.... LOL

This is usherring in Geulah?

I was also wondering the Jacko/Farah/3 Tammuz connection....

leomom

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 9:41 pm
It's funny because it's only this moment (just before I read the last two posts here) that it occurred to me that this happened on Gimmel Tammuz. I don't really want to associate the two events, but I guess everything is by hashgacha pratis.

As far as Michael Jackson, I am sad not so much because he died, but because he led a tragic life, and that is sad. I loved his early music and I appreciate his talent. I think many people will choose to remember his childhood and his music, and choose to forget the course his life took later.

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 11:07 pm
He once was a cute little black kid with a nice voice who could dance. More recently, he was a freaky white guy with plastic-surgeried white man's features who was creepy around kids, including his own (remember dangling one over a hotel balcony??)

And people are crying & in mourning? Oh, puh-leeze!

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 11:09 pm
Take a look at the thread on Tehillim for Chaim Dovid ben Leah. Who deserves our tears?

flowerpower

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 11:10 pm
I hated that creap!

costanza

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 11:27 pm
bubby wrote:
He once was a cute little black kid with a nice voice who could dance. More recently, he was a freaky white guy with plastic-surgeried white man's features who was creepy around kids, including his own (remember dangling one over a hotel balcony??)

And people are crying & in mourning? Oh, puh-leeze!

Bubby, you're harsh.

People's feelings really have nothing to do with him as a person. No one actually knew him. But he created music that acted as markers thorughout our lives. I remember when all of those Thriller videos came out. I remember when he performed at the Apollo for Motown's anniversary. His death reminds us of our own mortality and aging selves.

And why can't people have emotions about Michael Jackson and Israeli soldiers and sick Jewish children all at the same time? Are we so simple in our thinking that we can't feel bad about all of these things at once?

Hey, I remember where I was when I heard that John Candy died and I was really sad then too.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 11:44 pm
costanza wrote:
Hey, I remember where I was when I heard that John Candy died and I was really sad then too.
Aw, me too! He was so much fun, and seemed so sweet, and my first husband just loved him.

I almost always get sad when talented people die, especially if I've appreciated their work at some point. In this case, Jackson had a tragic life from very early childhood (his father was horrible) and was damaged to the point that he was always, it seems, on a terrible trajectory. But, as I said, "I'll Be There" and the other Jackson 5 songs were such a sweet part of my youth.

bubby

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 11:50 pm
You are all so worked up over this demented child-man. You honestly think it's OK to compare Jackson & blown-up Jewish children who die while sitting on a bus in Jerusalem or tortured Israeli soldiers? I am stunned by the moral equivalency some people give to sick perverts & to people who die al kiddush Hashem.

No wonder the world is in such a mess.

Oh & by the way, do sane, normal people dangle kids (especially their own) over hotel balconies? Now go cry, rent your garments & heap ashes upon your heads or whatever. Write tearful eulogies, pen heartrendingly awful lyrics, & put on a black glove as a sign of solidarity to a dead freako. I'm done trying to get through to any of you who are so misguided & unrealistic.

Clarissa

Post Thu, Jun 25 2009, 11:57 pm
Yikes, I have to agree with her on this one. Who compared Michael Jackson's death to blown up Jewish children and tortured Israeli soldiers? I haven't read a bunch of the Jackson comments here, but whoever did that, I think that is a very inappropriate thing to do, to mention those together in the same sentence. How can you compare these things? I'm glad I missed that comment. ((((shudder))))

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 12:14 am
I remember the Jackson Five and I used to love listening to Thriller (so shoot me).

When I heard of his death my first thought was "God finally put him out of his misery". I can't say that I have feelings one way or another. He led a miserable and tortured life and he is finally relieved of it.

leomom

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 12:19 am
Clarissa, you misunderstood. Bubby said this:

bubby wrote:
Take a look at the thread on Tehillim for Chaim Dovid ben Leah. Who deserves our tears?

And then someone else posted that people can be sad for more than one thing... no one compared the two.

Also, bubby, I don't see people rending garments. I just see people posting that he was a sad figure, that his music meant something to them at one point.

Clarissa

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 7:47 am
costanza wrote:
And why can't people have emotions about Michael Jackson and Israeli soldiers and sick Jewish children all at the same time? Are we so simple in our thinking that we can't feel bad about all of these things at once?
That comment about soldiers and children led to this? :
Quote:
You honestly think it's OK to compare Jackson & blown-up Jewish children who die while sitting on a bus in Jerusalem or tortured Israeli soldiers?

Are you sure, yy, that the tortured soldiers/blown up children thing wasn't in response to some other comment, that was deleted?

If not, it's official, Imamother has become a game of Telephone. I take back what I said.

I'll go listen to "I'll be There" again, now. I'd forgotten how pretty it was. Carry on.

mimivan

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 8:00 am
ChossidMom wrote:
I remember the Jackson Five and I used to love listening to Thriller (so shoot me).

When I heard of his death my first thought was "God finally put him out of his misery". I can't say that I have feelings one way or another. He led a miserable and tortured life and he is finally relieved of it.

My sentiments exactly. I would add Hashem will know whether he was innocent or guilty of what he was accused of in this world. We'll leave it up to the true judge.

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 8:06 am
I really can't care less about all is wacko behavior, I see him for the music he made.

Besiyata Dishmaya

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 8:31 am
mama-star wrote:
...so is it an "announcement" or a "mazal tov"...?

bubby wrote:
Cancel my thread, I prefer this one!! No loss.

Binfol oyivecha al tismach - Don't rejoice at the downfall of your enemy. (Pirkei Avos 4:24)

greenfire

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 8:38 am
http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/re.....#id=1

Chocoholic

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 8:46 am
Whatever will happen, his nose will always be.

anuta

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 8:46 am
greenfire wrote:
I think despite his unique personality michael brought a lot into the world and to speak lowly upon someone's death really is unconscionable ...

Exactly !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Where all the manners and aidelness go when these ladies start talking about non-jews?

PinkFridge

Post Fri, Jun 26 2009, 9:46 am
It was Rav Schneur Kotler zt'l's yarhrtzeit too, IIRC.

I may be wrong but I think that for non-Jews the solar date is the dominant one.

I'll just add my voice to those who are sighing with some compassion, of course more for any kids he messed up, and infinitely more for Gilad Shalit, Chaim Dovid ben Leah, and so many other people. But it says so much about society - what's done to child stars, and adult celebrities too. So sad.

Yesterday I heard a (Jewish, secular) radio talk show host talking about all this - the talent and the waste of the life - and then he said - and this is such a painful, poignant chaval, "There's this moment at any wedding when Beat It comes on, and people get down," or something like that. I definitely will look at loud chasuna music and the occasional Hanna Barbera or Munsters riff "heimish" bands will go on differently.
Page 2 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4  Next Recent Topics