Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions
New rav- re ask all shailos

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 9:26 am
If you get a new rav for whatever reason, do you re-ask all the shailos to this rav that you asked your previous rav in the past? Or do you stick with what you already got a psak on, and any new situation, ask the new rav, unless something comes up that affects the original psak you got?

Whats required? If my rav taught me hilchos kashrus in an intricate manner, and I get a new rav, do I have to ask him to re-teach me hilchos kashrus, according to his shita, that might be different, might be the same? Or can you just build on what you already know?

anuta

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 10:22 am
Seraph wrote:
If you get a new rav for whatever reason, do you re-ask all the shailos to this rav that you asked your previous rav in the past? Or do you stick with what you already got a psak on, and any new situation, ask the new rav, unless something comes up that affects the original psak you got?

Whats required? If my rav taught me hilchos kashrus in an intricate manner, and I get a new rav, do I have to ask him to re-teach me hilchos kashrus, according to his shita, that might be different, might be the same? Or can you just build on what you already know?

You build on what you already know.
I think it is disprespectful to rabbanim to ask a new rav to "redo" the knowledge taught to you by another rav, and I don't think a rav would agree to it, precisely because they respect each other.

For example I recenlty changed a rav I asked my niddah questions to. I think he is pretty close to what my previous rav was, I just feel more comfortable with him on a personal level, and he seems more sensitive to my medical situation. I won't ask his wife to re-teach me the whole taharat hamishpaha course!

Seraph

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 1:56 pm
anuta wrote:
Seraph wrote:

You build on what you already know.
I think it is disprespectful to rabbanim to ask a new rav to "redo" the knowledge taught to you by another rav, and I don't think a rav would agree to it, precisely because they respect each other.

For example I recenlty changed a rav I asked my niddah questions to. I think he is pretty close to what my previous rav was, I just feel more comfortable with him on a personal level, and he seems more sensitive to my medical situation. I won't ask his wife to re-teach me the whole taharat hamishpaha course!
Ok, I agree with you.
Definitely don't think its respectful to re-ask something...
Once I get a psak, I stick with that psak, even if I get a new rav.
Was wondering if others did differently.

Hashem_Yaazor

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 2:07 pm
It depends. I know people who have re-asked halachic shailos based on where they are holding. E"Y vs America, for example. There are poskim known to hold a certain way in a community, and if you move into that community, you're going to be taking a rav from that makom, and your psak might change. For example, what constitutes colored to be matir a kesem. If you're asking a rav from your community your THM shailos, you're going to have to go with his derech for the whole inyan of THM.

ora_43

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 3:55 pm
It depends on the type of switch. If I were switching from one "shtark" DL rav to another, for example, I wouldn't re-ask anything. If in theory I decided to switch to a completely new hashkafa, I would ask to review a lot of things.

At one point I did switch between two rabbis with very different hashkafot (not because of a switch in my hashkafa so much as just a switch in location), and I did change my behavior in some areas where I already knew what the first rabbi thought, based on the way the "new" rabbi held. But since then I haven't done that.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Judaism -> Halachic Questions and Discussions