Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Genital herpes

amother

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 10:09 am
Is genital herpes only transmitted sxually? specifically if a toddler has herpes, is there an 'innocent' way they could have got it, or would this mean there is more going on?

WriterMom

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 10:25 am
Herpes is caused by physical contact, with someone who has herpes. Transmission by non-s-xual means is, like with other STDs, possible but much less common than s-xual transmission. Has it been diagnosed as herpes? There are other causes of sores or lesions that can look extremely similar, but have entirely different causes. Before getting upset about how it could have happened, I'd advise getting a professional to determine what it actually is.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 10:48 am
it is herpes. it was diagnosed by a doctor.

what other way could the kid have contracted it?

chanahlady

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 10:52 am
Cold sores on the mouth (which are caused by the herpes virus) can be transmitted to the below regions through touch. If your child had an oral cold sore, touched it while it was active, then touched themselves below, it is possible it could be transmitted that way.

amother

Post Thu, Jul 02 2009, 11:02 am
that would mean that it is HPV1. But what if it is HPV2? If it is HPV2, does that still mean it was transmitted sxually? it is a very severe outbreak so I do not think it is oral herpes. is there any way to tell?

this is not my kid, but I sort of suspect that something might be going on. I just want to know if I should get involved or look for more clues.

PAMOM

Post Tue, Jul 07 2009, 10:58 pm
From a journal on pediatric dermatology:

Common Association of HPV 2 with Anogenital Warts in Prepubertal Children

The abstract suggests that there are definitely cases of HPV2 in young boys that has been transmitted by OTHER than s@xual contact (in 29 of the 31 cases, in fact).

You're a good person to be on the watch though--and it certainly can be the result of s@xual transmission.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics