Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Birth with private insurance in Israel
1  2  Next

hadasa

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 4:37 pm
I'm expecting to give birth in Israel IY"H in Kislev. My births until now were paid for by Bituach Leumi, while prenatal checkups were out of my pocket, since I had no Kupat Cholim. Now I'm no longer eligible for Bituach Leumi, so for the first time, I have private medical insurance. My husband says great, now you can have your choice of private doctors, but I'm not sure what to do with this choice available. Do I need a private doctor? How do I find one supportive of my prenatal and birthing choices? Will a private doctor be with me at birth? Is that positive? I'm coming to Israel just in the beginning of my ninth month, will any doctor have no problem accepting me as a patient at that point? Would I have to make an appointment far in advance? Should I just go to Merkaz Briut HaIshah and register in the hospital of my choice and forget about private doctors?

Any advice and info from knowledgable Israeli imamothers will be greatly appreciated!

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 4:44 pm
I think that for the right price, you can find a doctor. But why would you need one? The midwives are so great....

hadasa

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 4:57 pm
So then where do I go for prenatal care?

sympa

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 4:59 pm
AFAIK (though, this is only second hand, and not the same situation as you) there is a difference between choosing a private doctor for prenatal care, and additionally hiring that doctor to deliver you.
One consideration is that it's nice to have a familiar person (ie: private doctor) deliver you - you've already discussed your birthing preferences, she/he knows you and your history, and you are aware of her/his biases and policies, can be assured that there won't be a language barrier, etc. OTOH, the midwives are generally excellent, and some prefer the more natural approach they take, especially if this is not a high-risk pregnancy.

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 5:08 pm
hadasa wrote:
You said you were coming to Israel in your 9th month. What are you doing for prenatal before then? By the time you get here... well, what will you be needing besides a check up here and there and delivery service?

hadasa

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 5:12 pm
Thank you, that makes sense. So I need to find a doctor for prenatal care, and still give birth with midwives in whatever hospital I choose. How do I go about finding a doctor?

Tamiri

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 5:17 pm
I don't know how you find a doctor because I don't know anyone who used one here. Generally speaking, everyone just shows up at the hospital to give birth and is assigned a midwife. Where are you giving birth? Maybe the hospital could recommend someone.

hadasa

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 5:19 pm
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:
You said you were coming to Israel in your 9th month. What are you doing for prenatal before then? By the time you get here... well, what will you be needing besides a check up here and there and delivery service?

Yes, but the check up here and there becomes rather important post-date, and I've been known to go almost ten months before... Besides, in my country they don't do glucose tests, and I don't do routine US's before the due date, so it is rather important that I get some things done in Israel, if only to minimize the flak I get from the hospital staff...

Inspired

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 5:23 pm
To find a doctor for prenatal care you need to find one who takes your insurance. You insurance should be able to provide you with a list. You should ask those doctors if they do "maakav harayon" because that is what you will need- checking urine and bp for certain.

hadasa

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 5:49 pm
Inspired wrote:
To find a doctor for prenatal care you need to find one who takes your insurance. You insurance should be able to provide you with a list. You should ask those doctors if they do "maakav harayon" because that is what you will need- checking urine and bp for certain.

Thank you, that gives me some direction. How much in advance should I start looking?

grin

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 6:12 pm
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:
sorry to bring this up, but isn't it somewhat dangerous to travel so late in pregnancy?

Inspired

Post Sat, Jul 04 2009, 6:40 pm
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:
sorry to bring this up, but isn't it somewhat dangerous to travel so late in pregnancy?

What would the danger be?

I traveled 4 weeks before my edd. I just went to my doctor the day before I left and checked that there was no dilation or effacment. I walked around the plane as much as possible, had a stopover and stayed hydrated. I don't see the big deal.

hadasa- I don't think it is too early to start now. Also be sure you get your records asap before your flight- and keep them in your carry on.

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:13 am
hadasa wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:

Yes, but the check up here and there becomes rather important post-date, and I've been known to go almost ten months before... Besides, in my country they don't do glucose tests, and I don't do routine US's before the due date, so it is rather important that I get some things done in Israel, if only to minimize the flak I get from the hospital staff...
Keep in mind that most doctors dismiss you by the time you're 38 weeks- they say "see you after the birth" and bye. They give you a referal to post date monitoring should you need it, but that is done at ultrasound clinics and not at the doctor you go to for prenatal visits...

hila

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:20 am
Why dont you call one of teh health funds and ask to pay just for that month while you aer here?

Then you can just be treated by the kupa's clinic till the birth.

Then register at a hospital and use insurance for that too.

Or am I wrong?

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:34 am
Inspired wrote:
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:

I traveled 4 weeks before my edd. I just went to my doctor the day before I left and checked that there was no dilation or effacment. I walked around the plane as much as possible, had a stopover and stayed hydrated. I don't see the big deal.

hadasa- I don't think it is too early to start now. Also be sure you get your records asap before your flight- and keep them in your carry on.

But you could go in to labor on the plane or in the airport, I'm sure that's not such a pleasent experience (even if you do get free flights for the baby). Just because all other babies were born on term or later - doesn't mean this baby won't be born early - anywhere within the 9th months is normal, and I'd assume might be onset by the flight (I know it can change menstrual cycels, etc) that's besides the pressure in the plane itself and the sitting down for a long time and remaining hydrated, I mean I traveled abou 5 months preg. and I was fine.
I wouldn't have brought this up because it really is OP's decision, but just to answer your question about what could possibly happen.

hila

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:38 am
I seem to remember Hadasa coming here for her previous births. And sometimes risking a birth at teh beginning of your 9th is better than giving birth in a primitive environment with no support.

Not all imamothers are in civilised countries. some are on shlichut in the middle of nowhere.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:39 am
hila wrote:
Why dont you call one of teh health funds and ask to pay just for that month while you aer here?

Then you can just be treated by the kupa's clinic till the birth.

Then register at a hospital and use insurance for that too.

Or am I wrong?

Isn't the hospital stay covered by Bituach Leumi and not the Kupat Cholim?

And not all hospitals require you to pre-register. They looked at me funny when I went at 33 weeks to Beilinson to pre-register. Apparently they don't do that there.

hadasa

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:51 am
Hila- I don't think that would work. Everything in the Kupah is computerized, and they have no way of registering a patient who is not registered in the Kupah. I once went through a whole roundabout trying to get a simple prescription for Daktaryn (sp?) because my newborn wasn't registered on their computer. I was ready to pay, but that wasn't the issue.

Seraph- That is very enlightening. So does that bring me back to Merkaz Briut HaIshah, and forget about doctors? Even though that leaves me to the whims of whatever doctor happens to be on call there as to whether I need to be induced (an issue I deal with almost every time). I'd rather have a doctor who views me as his personal patient advise me on these major decisions.

Thank you, everyone, for your info and advice so far. I'm slowly getting a clearer picture of my options.

hadasa

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 3:20 am
chanchy123 wrote:
Inspired wrote:
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:

But you could go in to labor on the plane or in the airport, I'm sure that's not such a pleasent experience (even if you do get free flights for the baby). Just because all other babies were born on term or later - doesn't mean this baby won't be born early - anywhere within the 9th months is normal, and I'd assume might be onset by the flight (I know it can change menstrual cycels, etc) that's besides the pressure in the plane itself and the sitting down for a long time and remaining hydrated, I mean I traveled abou 5 months preg. and I was fine.
I wouldn't have brought this up because it really is OP's decision, but just to answer your question about what could possibly happen.

It's a relatively short flight and all my labors have been rather long and late. True, there may be some risk involved, but it's a calculated risk which, as Hila said, is preferable to the alternative.

Hooray

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 3:22 am
Hi! I agree with you about having a private doctor that knows you personally...even if only for a couple of weeks. Besides, once you have private insurance and don't have to pay out of pocket - isn't it considered more ideal to have a doctor at delivery? I know many people here in isreal who have chosen to pay privately for a doctor to know they would have someone they know and trust at their delivery. The opposing argument, of course, is that midwives have a more natural approach which some people prefer. However, because you are choosing your doctor you will be able to choose one whose approach you feel comfortable with. Additinally, although some midwives are fantastic, some are less so and when you show up at the hospital to deliver, you will not have a choice of midwives (in my opinion, that is scary).
That being said, I have delivered a couple babies in Israel with private insurance. The first thnig you need to find out is whether you need to choose a doctor affiliated directly with your insurance or if you can lay out money for the appointments and be reinbersed (thats what I did and it worked out great! I paid the doctor and the insurance company deposited the money directly into my bank a count.) If the doctor needs to be affiliated - you need to ask them which doctors that includes. If not, you can choose any doctor you like.
I hope that makes things a little clearer for you...B''shaa Tova
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions