Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Birth with private insurance in Israel
Previous  1  2

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 12:26 am
hila wrote:
I seem to remember Hadasa coming here for her previous births. And sometimes risking a birth at teh beginning of your 9th is better than giving birth in a primitive environment with no support.

Not all imamothers are in civilised countries. some are on shlichut in the middle of nowhere.

As I said I was not questioning Hasassa's choice, just pointing out why there would be a question.

chanchy123

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 12:28 am
YESHASettler wrote:
hila wrote:
Why dont you call one of teh health funds and ask to pay just for that month while you aer here?

Then you can just be treated by the kupa's clinic till the birth.

Then register at a hospital and use insurance for that too.

Or am I wrong?

Isn't the hospital stay covered by Bituach Leumi and not the Kupat Cholim?

And not all hospitals require you to pre-register. They looked at me funny when I went at 33 weeks to Beilinson to pre-register. Apparently they don't do that there.

Only in Yerushalayim do you need to register. And even there they will take if you didn't, it's just less paperwork to do when you get there (especially if it's on shabbat).

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 12:31 am
hadasa wrote:

Seraph- That is very enlightening. So does that bring me back to Merkaz Briut HaIshah, and forget about doctors? Even though that leaves me to the whims of whatever doctor happens to be on call there as to whether I need to be induced (an issue I deal with almost every time). I'd rather have a doctor who views me as his personal patient advise me on these major decisions.
I'll admit, I have no clue what merkaz briut haisha is. I went for post date monitoring at the clinic in geula and at meuchedet's haturim's women's clinic.
I don't know how inductions work because I went into labor on my own 4 days past my due date...
Perhaps private doctors work differently, but I assume if you need an induction, you are subjected to the whims of whichever docs are on call at the hospitals.

HooRYou

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 2:23 am
chanchy123 wrote:
YESHASettler wrote:
hila wrote:
Why dont you call one of teh health funds and ask to pay just for that month while you aer here?

Then you can just be treated by the kupa's clinic till the birth.

Then register at a hospital and use insurance for that too.

Or am I wrong?

Isn't the hospital stay covered by Bituach Leumi and not the Kupat Cholim?

And not all hospitals require you to pre-register. They looked at me funny when I went at 33 weeks to Beilinson to pre-register. Apparently they don't do that there.

Only in Yerushalayim do you need to register. And even there they will take if you didn't, it's just less paperwork to do when you get there (especially if it's on shabbat).

I think in Yerushalyim there are some hospitals that if they are full will send you away if youa re not pre-registered. The registration just ensures that you are taken by the hospital of your choice.

grin

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 3:20 am
Inspired wrote:
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:
So then where do I go for prenatal care?
You said you were coming to Israel in your 9th month. What are you doing for prenatal before then? By the time you get here... well, what will you be needing besides a check up here and there and delivery service?
sorry to bring this up, but isn't it somewhat dangerous to travel so late in pregnancy?

What would the danger be?

I traveled 4 weeks before my edd. I just went to my doctor the day before I left and checked that there was no dilation or effacment. I walked around the plane as much as possible, had a stopover and stayed hydrated. I don't see the big deal.
I imagine it's quite unusual, but I did hear a story once of a woman going into labor slightly early - it does happen, you know. I was always under the impression that the airlines will demand some kind of letter of your taking responsibility in such an event, if they see you're so obviously pg. But, I could be hopelessly out of date.

MP27

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 5:07 am
Hi Hadasa,

Basha Tova!
I currently live in Israel in Jerusalem so this advice is based on my experience over the past 9 months.
( I am expecting in a week bezrat hashem).

It is sometimes hard to get appointments with OB/GYN on short notice, at least if you are just on regular kupah insurance, so it is better to make the few appointments in advance that you would need for your 9th month check up. ( though it might be different if you are on private insurance).

There are some excellent private doctors that my friends have used that work for specific hospitals and therefore you would need to register at the specific hospitals that they work at, if you choose to hire them privately. The following 3 docs, can be payed private for prenatal visits plus extra for taking them privately for the birth.

*Dr Grissaro ( female) only sees patients privately and works at Shaara Tzedek her # is 02 655 5999, 02-538-7888
*Dr. Pollack ( male) sees patients both private and under the public Kupahs , though under the regular kupah it's very hard to get an appointment with him unless it is a few months in advance ( unless you're lucky). Though, I'm sure getting a private appointment is not hard . He works at Bikur Cholim hospital

*Dr. Pineles ( male)- I heard he is amazing, great bed side manner, and he is very reachable, gives out his cell phone so you can reach him when needed, and I heard it is not hard to get an appointment with him and I believe you can hire him privately for the birth , though I am not suren if he works at a specific hospital or you can just hire him to be your doc at a hospital of your choosing His # is 02-624-5330, or you can reach him by cell at 050- 566-0031 ( I believe he sometimes makes his own appointments , so try his cell and he can probably give you info regarding your situation)

In terms of registering at hospitals , I know Hadassa Ein Kerem is very strict about being preregistered before you show up. The other hospitals I am not sure.

good luck!

BeershevaBubby

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 5:27 am
The only time I ever had problems making appointments with my OBs was when one went on Miluim for a month and this time my OB went on vacation for 4 weeks.

hadasa

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 7:24 am
grin wrote:
Inspired wrote:
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:
You said you were coming to Israel in your 9th month. What are you doing for prenatal before then? By the time you get here... well, what will you be needing besides a check up here and there and delivery service?
sorry to bring this up, but isn't it somewhat dangerous to travel so late in pregnancy?

I traveled 4 weeks before my edd. I just went to my doctor the day before I left and checked that there was no dilation or effacment. I walked around the plane as much as possible, had a stopover and stayed hydrated. I don't see the big deal.
I imagine it's quite unusual, but I did hear a story once of a woman going into labor slightly early - it does happen, you know. I was always under the impression that the airlines will demand some kind of letter of your taking responsibility in such an event, if they see you're so obviously pg. But, I could be hopelessly out of date.

Some of my friends have signed such a letter. As for me, I was never asked to. I guess I just look fat.
Yes, anything can happen. But since my earliest birth was induced four days after the due date, and my shortest one was eight hours, I'm ready to take the risk of a 2 1/2 hour flight, 3 weeks before the due date. As I said, it's a calculated risk, and it's better than the alternative.

Thank you to those who posted doctors' info, but I'm not in the Jerusalem area. I'll be based in Kfar Chabad, which is in the Tel Aviv area. Someone in Bnei Brak would be ideal.

After having given birth many times with only midwives, I'm not sure I would even want a doctor at my birth, kal vachomer a male one. A doula would be nice...

grin

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 7:54 am
hadasa wrote:
grin wrote:
Inspired wrote:
grin wrote:
Tamiri wrote:
hadasa wrote:

Some of my friends have signed such a letter. As for me, I was never asked to. I guess I just look fat.
Yes, anything can happen. But since my earliest birth was induced four days after the due date, and my shortest one was eight hours, I'm ready to take the risk of a 2 1/2 hour flight, 3 weeks before the due date. As I said, it's a calculated risk, and it's better than the alternative.
oh - so sorry! I assumed you meant a transatlantic flight, not just 2 1/2 hours!

Mrs Bissli

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 4:16 am
Regardless of length of flights, I believe most airlines will not carry a passenger beyond 36th week even with a doctor's "fit-to-fly" letter.

mommyofnineka

Post Mon, Jul 06 2009, 5:09 am
Don't forget about travel insurance too. There are policies that can cover you up until the 9th month and will also cover the new born if you do give birth early. (this is of course for overseas flights). I recently heard of someone visiting Israel from NY in their 8th month and ended up in the hospital 2 times due to contractions. She did not have insurance and it ended up costing around $10,000.

Zus

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 9:39 am
I am locking this thread. Hadasa if you want it re-opened just PM me.
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics

Post new topic       Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions