Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Lend out laptop or other expensive electronics?

Seraph

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 5:18 am
Would you lend out your laptop or other expensive electronic devices?
I'm a nice person and like doing chassodim for other people, but I don't feel comfortable lending out expensive equipment like laptops, even to trustworthy people.
Why? Because what if something DOES happen? Things are inevitable, sometimes even when you treat something perfectly, they just break without you doing anything wrong. If something like that would happen when I lend out something, I wouldn't know what to do. I don't always treat my laptop perfectly, so I could have caused the damage that happened while it's out, but I'd never know, and I'd blame them, either consciously or subconsciously. I wouldn't know what to do in terms of payment, etc.
Especially if someone has kids, things are more likely to happen, and I wouldnt want to risk the situation of something happening while its in someone else's care.
Am I being overly cautious, or would others also not lend out their laptop because of that?

PS. forget the fact that I do have private stuff on my laptop and wouldnt want people to accidentally stumble on to them...

smiley:)

Post Sun, Jul 05 2009, 5:20 am
Seraph wrote:
Would you lend out your laptop or other expensive electronic devices?
I'm a nice person and like doing chassodim for other people, but I don't feel comfortable lending out expensive equipment like laptops, even to trustworthy people.
Why? Because what if something DOES happen? Things are inevitable, sometimes even when you treat something perfectly, they just break without you doing anything wrong. If something like that would happen when I lend out something, I wouldn't know what to do. I don't always treat my laptop perfectly, so I could have caused the damage that happened while it's out, but I'd never know, and I'd blame them, either consciously or subconsciously. I wouldn't know what to do in terms of payment, etc.
Especially if someone has kids, things are more likely to happen, and I wouldnt want to risk the situation of something happening while its in someone else's care.
Am I being overly cautious, or would others also not lend out their laptop because of that?

PS. forget the fact that I do have private stuff on my laptop and wouldnt want people to accidentally stumble on to them...

If you feel not happy about lending it out then don't. Doing what could be a chesed but not feeling happy about it is not the way to go - and I am not saying that in a critical way. Sometimes for example I just feel I am putting myself out to a degree I can't in terms of making meals for ppl etc, just because of my own circumstances. If I feel I can't, then I wait for a time I feel I can do it happily.
Also if you would be upset if something broke or got messed up and the financial responsibility was on you, I'd say not to.

malky800

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 10:33 pm
I have people calling me if they can borrow my laptop and I tell them they are welcome to come use it at my house. And they have taken me up on it.
People around the block know I have internet in my house and that way I have control over what they are using it for and what they see from my stuff as well.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 10:45 pm
laptop is a personal notebook with private info as well as links that you personally use. aside from privacy issues, potential for viruses and other downloaded informaton, cookies, behind the scenes activitiy.
I wouldn't lend it out. I would let somebody use it in my place where I would be able to pass by and see what's going on.
in the past, I have lent out (even voluntarily offered) kitchen appliances such as bosch and juicers. would not do it again. picky about how clean I like it including the appliance itself and the wire. didn't appreciate doughy residue, cracked plastics, leaky bowls due to misuse.
could just imagine what could happen to lapto.

Mama Bear

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 11:01 pm
No. I dont lend out my laptop!!! here in the bungalow colony a cousin of mine has been coming once a week to work on it. in my bungalow, fine! I dont lend it out, ever.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette