Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cookbooks
Which cookbook??

MimsCH

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 6:47 am
I don't own any cookbooks. I really wonna get one, but there is so many of them.
can someone help me decide which one??? I need quick and easy recepies for daily meals.
Someone suggested the bobover cookbook, what do you think?

baba

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 6:54 am
I really like spice and spirit. I find it to have a lot of recipes that are uncomplicated and without all kinds of ingredients I either cant find here or cost a fortune.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 8:25 am
I second Spice and Spirit... I've never gone wrong with a recipe... I consider it my kitchen "bible" and recommend it any time someone asks about cookbooks.

sky

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 9:25 am
My favourites for during week cooking:
Spice and Spirit - has all the basics plus a lot more
Heimish simcha - they have a great chicken, dairy, side dish and salad section (there is a section in the front with 60+ servings - but I don't use that part)
Dining in - a cookbook that was put out by a Lakewood school. I really like it for practical good recipes.

MyKidsRQte

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 11:12 am
sky wrote:
My favourites for during week cooking:
Spice and Spirit - has all the basics plus a lot more
Heimish simcha - they have a great chicken, dairy, side dish and salad section (there is a section in the front with 60+ servings - but I don't use that part)
Dining in - a cookbook that was put out by a Lakewood school. I really like it for practical good recipes.

Ive got alot of cookbooks but the ones I use the most are DINING IN (by a lakewood cheder), and the heimishe cookbooks.

lamplighter

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 2:26 pm
Another vote for the spice and spirit.
Its essentially foolproof, they use basic ingredients and its always comes out yum!!

cookielady

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 2:27 pm
la456 wrote:
Another vote for the spice and spirit.
Its essentially foolproof, they use basic ingredients and its always comes out yum!!

I agree. If you don't have any others yet, this is a great start. Just look at the thread of all the recipes that people like from it.

Kugel lover

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 3:01 pm
the balbustes choice!

wanderer

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 3:18 pm
I really like the cookbook "What's Cooking".

Ruchel

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 4:49 pm
If you want "regular" "not Jewish" recipes, buy a classic and adapt to kosher...
If you want Jewish, then depends on what type. We have French, Italian, Polish, Greek... books.

Maya

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 5:15 pm
Quick & Kosher has great simple recipes that are delicious. I use it very often.

kesher

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 7:17 pm
In my day the first cookbook everyone learned from was "Second Helpings".

applesnax

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 8:13 pm
some more good cookbooks are:

dining in

kosher by design (the first one)

kosher pallete

check online stores for more titles and descriptions, or better yet if u can, go to a store and browse them all!

bubby

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 8:30 pm
MimsCH, I see you put your age (brave girl!! But then again, if I was 23.... Rolling Eyes Wink )

I think a very good place to start is by creating your own recipe book, using ones from amother (there are some excellent ones in the recipe forum) & if you're ever stumped, some amother will have what you're looking for.

I can tell you that recipes from cookielady, chocolate moose & pinktichel are delicious. (Sorry, I'm omitting the rest of the gourmet cooks here but my mind is drawing a blank...I'm hungry!) I have so many cookbooks, literally tens of thousands of recipes, & I use very few. Don't waste your $$ on buying a lot. But if you want the KBD Lightens Up, I will be more than happy to give it to you...free. I personally think it's terrible Crying

OldYoung

Post Thu, Jul 09 2009, 8:45 pm
I would say that the spice and spirit is one of the best cookbooks for someone who's new to the kitchen. I always found the conversions in the back of the book very helpful. My other favorite is the Dining In cookbook- useful, delicious, easy to make, heimish recipes that can be presented nicely too.

MimsCH

Post Fri, Jul 10 2009, 3:05 am
thanks everyone. I think I'll get the spice and spirit to begin with.

bubby: I do have my own recipe book, which I've been using the past few years, but now I want something professional. Smile
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics