Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Interior Design Help

sky

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:06 am
I am horrible at figuring out what to do in my house.

I need to replace the carpet in my living room. It is a fluffy, soft, light beige carpet that was in our house when we moved in 4 years ago. It is disgusting now. I really don't care except recently my MIL pointed it out to me and it is really pretty bad.

I'd love to replace it with wood, or a wood laminate. My problem is I'm not sure if it works with the room. The living room walls are a dark wood panel and there is a dark red brick fireplace in the center of the room.

I'm concerned that because of the wood walls the wood floor won't go. And that the room will be too dark.

The hallway leading into the living room is wood, so it really makes the most sense to continue that in the living room.

Our living room gets a ton of use, its also the playroom.

I'd really appreciate any ideas or opinions. Also if you have ever seen a wood floor in a wood paneled room and how did it look.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:39 am
I can’t say it won’t work but I don’t see why you should consider something else. Tiles would be hard to maintain if you go light so I say, stick to something dark and practical. It might actually look nice.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:43 am
I don't want to put in ceramic because it is hard and cold. I find wood is a bit softer. I can't think of any other material to put down. I'd love a different idea.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:47 am
Have you explored bamboo cane? It's a lot more robust than wood, doesn't deteriorate like parquet, and it's lighter in color but soft and warm!

greenfire

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:53 am
go for the wood - you might even already have wood that just needs sanding underneath ... and then lighten up with an area carpet ... Idea

sky

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:06 am
We know there is no wood underneath - just plywood because I checked. In the dining room and hallway we had to lay new wood also (that was over 3 years ago).

I'm worried about bamboo that it dents more easily then wood.
I also am not sure if I would do light bamboo or light wood because it would show every spot and I really don't want to mop each night.

But please keep the ideas coming.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:19 am
greenfire wrote:
go for the wood - you might even already have wood that just needs sanding underneath ... and then lighten up with an area carpet ... Idea

I agree, also there are different colors of wood. Lighting too plays an important factor.

sky

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 11:54 am
Yeah - if I go with wood - or any hard floor surface I would put down a rug (but something easy to clean - ds has a way of spraying his milk everywhere) this way there is place for a baby to play on a soft surface.

And the room has a lot of light - dh installed a nice amount of recessed lighting in the room and there are a nice amount of windows. There is really no way to increase that.

Tefila

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 9:33 pm
Great then it prob wont be dark. Wood or even laminate wood is warm and rich looking and practicall imho

mummiedearest

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:21 pm
I find wood panels are very dark to begin with. you can always lighten up the room with strategic placement of mirrors to spread the light. you can also paint the panels with a light color. I have some wood panels that are painted (previous owners are responsible for that...) and they look nice. I wouldn't have bothered with the wood paneling to begin with, but they're there already.

OldYoung

Post Mon, Jul 13 2009, 10:28 pm
sky wrote:
Yeah - if I go with wood - or any hard floor surface I would put down a rug (but something easy to clean - ds has a way of spraying his milk everywhere) this way there is place for a baby to play on a soft surface.

And the room has a lot of light - dh installed a nice amount of recessed lighting in the room and there are a nice amount of windows. There is really no way to increase that.

I was reading through this thread and just waiting for someone to mention a rug! LOL I think that getting a finished wood floor is the best investment. That way if you maintain it and plan on keeping your house for a long time, then the room will be very versatile and can be used in case of a simcha and all the regular playing. A rug will protect the finish, and also be cheaper to switch should you decide to update/redecorate. I like living rooms to be warm and cozy and would rather a rug or carpet than just a plain wood floor.

sky

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 9:42 am
Thanks for all the ideas. I have a feeling we will go with wood and just stain it the same color as the walls to keep the look uniform.

dh loves the walls - he would hate to lighten them. I think they are too dark and heavy for the room - but at least I'm saving money by leaving them as they are.

lizard8

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:19 pm
Go for something that will last and is soft on the feet. You want your children to be comfortable playing on the floor, and don't need to worry about falls. Laminate is a good option, because they come in softer forms. They look like wood and are also easy to maintain. I agree with the rug idea too,.

lizard8

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 4:21 pm
Go for something that will last and is soft on the feet. You want your children to be comfortable playing on the floor, and don't need to worry about falls. Laminate is a good option, because they come in softer forms. They look like wood and are also easy to maintain. I agree with the rug idea too,.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Jul 14 2009, 10:24 pm
Maybe you could have something transitional between the wood outside the room and whatever you decide on. Have fun!

MiamiMommy

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 12:21 am
mummiedearest wrote:
I find wood panels are very dark to begin with. you can always lighten up the room with strategic placement of mirrors to spread the light. you can also paint the panels with a light color. I have some wood panels that are painted (previous owners are responsible for that...) and they look nice. I wouldn't have bothered with the wood paneling to begin with, but they're there already.

Paint the paneling and finish the wood floors!

poelmamosh

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 9:22 am
Sorry, but I'm with your dh here...don't paint the wood panels! Get some nice light pictures/art to hang over them, mirror (as someone suggested) even a nice and interesting hemmed piece of material on a pole (a la tapestry) to brighten the walls. And another vote for a wood floor, too.

ClaRivka

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 5:42 pm
I like the wood floor idea but NOT with wood paneling!!! It's going to be too dark and u wont want to go in there! Unless you put down a rug that covers the whole area that is light but I dont see the sense of a light rug bc itll get dirty too...
You can paint the paneling (it will take many coats but it is possible...)
Lighting is definately important but a dark room is still a dark room. its not good for brain stimulation and you said it was a play area...

Take my advice, or dont, and have fun and do something ur confident with.

Remember: uniform isnt always the best option. You wouldnt put an oak table on an oak floor..youd go for contrast bc otherwise u wont even realize the table is there..

sky

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 6:46 pm
I know but dh really doesn't want to paint the wood. They are beautiful thick pieces of wood on an angle. personally I would try bleaching them and staining them lighter (but that would also probably cost a lot of money). but dh loves them just how they are.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics