Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry
Do you pay your cleaning lady transportation fare?

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:39 am
I have a cleaning lady (and combined sitter) 3-4 times a week. She's been with me almost 5 months. The other day she told me that the price to commute to me went up a dollar a day and its very expensive and she was talking to the other women on the train and they told her there employers pay their fares. So could I help with hers. I told her I would think about it and I think I will offer her half the fare which comes to 15 dollars more a week, essentially 5 more a day if she works 3 days a week.
But I was annoyed that she approached it like that because I could easily say that I spoke to my friends and they dont pay the train fare so then what. But I wont do that because I need her to still show up for the time being - I have been looking to replace her for a while now.

Is paying half a good idea? Do ppl usually pay for the whole commute? It would prob be different if I liked her a lot and if she didn't make a very costly mistake once that put us out 700 dollars.....

Ruchel

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:45 am
The whole commute? No, never heard of it. But I know many just calculate and include it in their price... or ask for a travel expense if you are far away (generally the same if you're "a bit" far away or totally on the other side of the city). Some will tell you since you're far they cannot do less than 3/4/5 hours.

That was my experience with cleaning ladies and manicurists.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:46 am
I pay for transportation.

Mommish

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:49 am
I always pay subway fare. I think its standard.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:50 am
This is more than a subway fare - it costs 4.50 each way so it's 9 dollars a day for her.

nicole81

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:53 am
amother wrote:
This is more than a subway fare - it costs 4.50 each way so it's 9 dollars a day for her.

That is a lot. In this case, I think half, or $5 is fair.

anewday

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:55 am
how much are u paying her for the hr? if its like 8-10 then yes its only right to pay trans, if you pay like around 13-15 an hr thats nice and she should pay it herself! remember, shes making it cash!!! when anyone works in a 9-5 its not likely that the employer pays trans...

anyways, find someone a bit closer and better!!!

ss321

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 8:58 am
OP I think the way she approached the request was off base "my friends who take subways said...."

We do pay our babysitter/housekeeper's subway fare. she is here 5 - 6 days / wk so we get a monthly metrocard every month.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 9:07 am
I always add $5 to the total amount.

amother

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 9:32 am
Yea I was unhappy with how she approached it too - like she and the others were gossiping on the train about who makes what or something....and its not like some of those women are definitely telling the truth, you never know and its wrong for her to make that the basis for asking me for the extra money.
I need to replace her its just so hard to find!!!!

Anyway, she works 9:30-4:30 and I give her 75 a day so I guess it is like 10 an hour. I will tell her I will add on 5 more each day for her commute so essentially I will be paying 80 a day instead. But I will just say that I am giving her an extra 15 at the end of each week for her commute. It costs her 27 dollars a week so I am giving her slightly more than half.

mominisrael2

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 2:17 pm
For some reason I can't yet figure out, my cleaning lady can afford to own a car but I can't!! Confused Confused Confused Confused

happyone

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 3:05 pm
Absolutely not. Does your boss pay your transportation to work? Standard in my neck of the woods is that you figure out your own transportation to and from your job. I pay my cleaning girl by the hour and she takes the bus to and from. (Costs her about $1.00 each way. If I'm going out when she's about to get done, I'll offer her a ride.

sarahd

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 3:20 pm
I pay my cleaning woman almost $20 an hour, so I expect her to pay her own way to me.

Atali

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 4:06 pm
happyone wrote:
Absolutely not. Does your boss pay your transportation to work? Standard in my neck of the woods is that you figure out your own transportation to and from your job. I pay my cleaning girl by the hour and she takes the bus to and from. (Costs her about $1.00 each way. If I'm going out when she's about to get done, I'll offer her a ride.

Same here.

SingALong

Post Wed, Jul 15 2009, 10:01 pm
my lady earns $80 a day and I pay about $30 transportation per week its a live in job. transportation I think is very common to pay since they earn so little when you think about it.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Household Management -> Cleaning & Laundry