Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection
Diabetic

Tefila

Post Sat, Jan 08 2005, 10:38 pm
Need some main dishes for friends who are diabetic ideas anyone?

zuncompany

Post Sat, Jan 08 2005, 10:50 pm
I had gestational diabetes...

chicken- baked with spices on it... no breading (man did I crave shake-n-bake) or fruity toppings. My fav was some garlic powder, pepper, peprica, and bake it away:) curry is also good.

meat- I lived on steak cause it was so easy! Also a good roast is always good. I would throw it in the crock pot with some veggies, a bunch of spices, and wallah! yum. Also stir fry (works for chicken, or tofu)- a bit of terriyaki sauce, some oil, stir fry the meat with some good veggies. yum. Also I used to find marinates that had like 1g carbs and marinate the beef or chicken in that.

Oooh... chicken- take italian dressing (usually only have like 1g to 3 g carbs) and marinade and than bake. yum.

Basically stay as low carb as you can and low sugar. Stay away from pastas. It eats away your carbs very fast with very little. I used splenda in my baking (worked well in my challah it seemed too). I would make two veggies with dinner so I felt like I had more than a protein and one side dish. It wasn't as bad as I thought it was. I did wolf down a whole entire challah the Shabbos after I gave birth to Tev with the bottle of coke:) Oh and the pizza within 24 hours of giving birth embarrassed

Oh... a good side... steam cauliflower, mash it like mashed pots (or throw it in the blender), a little marg, garlic powder, salt, and pepper... yummy!!!

If you need other ideas let me know.

Sara

Sunshine

Post Sun, Jan 09 2005, 1:36 pm
I have a good zucchini kugle.

1 onion, minced
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 Tabl. olive oil
3 lbs. zucchini/yellow squash, trimmed at both ends, scrubbed and minced
1 carrot, minced
1 tsp. dried basil
1 tsp. dried parsley
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
2 eggs, slightly beatten
1/2 cup fine bread crumbs

Saute onion and garlic in olive oil. When transparent add squash, carrots and spices. Over low heat, continue cooking 30 min-1 hour until mixture is puree. If necessary, heat to evaporate excess moisture. Remove from heat. Cool. Add eggs. Pour into oiled 9x13 coated with 1/4 cup bread crumbs. Sprinkle with remaining crumbs and a little oil. Bake at 450 for 20-30 min.

If your friend can't have the bread crumbs just leave it out. It will still come out good but won't have as much to keep it together. I am going to try this for pesach. I hope it will come out good with shmaltz.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics