Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating
Detroit
1  2  Next

amother

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 9:51 am
Any Detroiters on here? What can you tell me about your town?

amother

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 11:53 am
I can tell you that I'd move back if my family didnt live there!!! Housing is extremely affordable, you cna get a nice ranch for less then $100,000. My parent live in a very large 5 bedroom colonial, it would sell now for about $150-200

fish

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 12:06 pm
you can pm me if you have any specific questions

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:20 pm
I'd like to know more, and I'll throw out some specific questions! Dh has a job opportunity there, and we are originally from the NE.

We are ba'alei teshuva, I'd say 'frum dati le'umi'. In NY my girls were at a Bais Yaakov, but it was a community style one and had a mix of families. I'm looking for something similar, as our backgrounds are not mainstream frum. I'd want a school with a warm feeling, and good limudei chol in addition to good limudei kodesh and emphasis on middos, ahavas yisroel, simchas hachaim. (Does such a thing exist?!). Similarly for my son, who will only be in K/pre 1-a next year.

I'd love to find a shul which is 'yeshivish'/Aish Hatorah kind of type, serious and frum but also welcoming to those with diverse backgrounds, etc.

We know nothing of the region/neighborhoods, etc.

Help?!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:26 pm
You would look in the Oak Park or Southfield neighborhoods for housing. You can get a beautiful two-story house for under $200,000. There are quite a few shuls to choose from, to name stereotypes- Young Israel, Aish, Agudah, Yeshiva and lots more. The schools are warm, friendly and professional. The Yeshiva Beth Yehudah preschool building is magnificent. I have never seen a school like it in terms of structure, facilities, curriculum and staff. Hatzlacha! It's really a super place!!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 8:26 pm
Whoops! And I forgot to add that there's Chabad too!

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 9:13 pm
Detroit has a large BT population (B"H for that, some of the greatest people in town); in fact, the school that's more to the right attracts quite a lot of them. Which doesn't mean you would be comfortable there. Or not.
I second the 9:26 pm poster on location. You will have a lot of options in that neighborhood. And I'm a Bais Yehuda parent myself. Funky frum yeshivish, FFB, FWIW, and I'd be happy to see you there (if I ever have the guts to out myself Smile

amother

Post Tue, Nov 17 2009, 10:21 pm
Like some people above mentioned, there are 2 yeshivish type schools - Bais Yehudah and Darchei Torah. BY is the community school and DT smaller and considered more right wing. Having had experience with both (elementary) schools I don't think there is a huge overall difference in the frumkeit dept, but they are different in other ways. You should definitely look into both.

There is also a school here called Akiva. It is a Zionist, orthodox, co-ed day school. I know that some DL people send their kids there and they also have some Kollel Torah Mitzion families who work and send their kids there. IMO if it wasn't co-ed, more people would send there.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:42 am
I am from Detroit originally, and I would never move back despite the fact that my family still lives there. The Chinuch there has supposedly gotten better since I was a student but I would say it is still kwasey at the best. LImudei Kodesh is not that good but Limudei Chol is pretty good. I remember when I was in seminary there was a joke with assignments that if you were from Detroit you got an easier assignment. Yes it has cheap housing but you need to look at the whole picture. I would suggest going there for a Shabbos or two before deciding.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:26 am
amother above, I don't know where you went to school, I assume it was BY. I went to BY many years ago, and that was the story. The rest of the story, was that Detroiters were known for their midos. I do think chinuch has changed. My daughters are not in high school yet, but we are there and we talk to people. The girls from DT do come out knowing Ivris very well, and I don't think anyone is bending the rules for BY girls to get into seminary either anymore. I don't think it's a perfect place, but the limudei kodesh isn't all that bad.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:47 am
I think detroit is a great place to live especially if finding a job is not an issue for you - I'm from ny and I find there is a really nice mix of people here. I send dd to darchei torah, because I love that it is smaller, and the kahns (principals) are amazing people. the people who send to darchei may be a little more right wing, but from what I hear the bais yaakov (in hashkafa) is very right wing - I don't know that the difference is so glaring when you look at both schools. I definitely think it's worth it to go visit both (or all if you are interested in akiva or chabad) schools, sit down with the principal and find out for yourself - but all in all its a really nice community that's affordable to live in!

chaylizi

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:51 am
amother wrote:
I am from Detroit originally, and I would never move back despite the fact that my family still lives there. The Chinuch there has supposedly gotten better since I was a student but I would say it is still kwasey at the best. LImudei Kodesh is not that good but Limudei Chol is pretty good. I remember when I was in seminary there was a joke with assignments that if you were from Detroit you got an easier assignment. Yes it has cheap housing but you need to look at the whole picture. I would suggest going there for a Shabbos or two before deciding.

all those detroit girls who go to top seminaries are flukes then? I don't recall being treated differently in sem. plenty of girls asked me for assignment help.

op, pm me if you have any questions. there are also previous threads about detroit. do a thread search.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 9:53 am
amother wrote:
Like some people above mentioned, there are 2 yeshivish type schools - Bais Yehudah and Darchei Torah. BY is the community school and DT smaller and considered more right wing. Having had experience with both (elementary) schools I don't think there is a huge overall difference in the frumkeit dept, but they are different in other ways. You should definitely look into both.

There is also a school here called Akiva. It is a Zionist, orthodox, co-ed day school. I know that some DL people send their kids there and they also have some Kollel Torah Mitzion families who work and send their kids there. IMO if it wasn't co-ed, more people would send there.

it would be better for both akiva & BY if they did that, IMO.

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:17 pm
amother wrote:

What does "kwasey" mean, or is that a result of your inferior education? Twisted Evil (using twisted smile as tongue in cheek, no offense meant!)

NativeMom

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:28 pm
I grew up in Detroit and honestly I miss it. I have so many friends that still live there so I go back a couple times a year to visit.

I went to both BY and Akiva-I graduated from Akiva, honestly I don't want to go into detail about their differences or which one was better. They both have pros and cons.... If you want details you can PM me.

amother

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 1:41 pm
NativeMom wrote:
I grew up in Detroit and honestly I miss it. I have so many friends that still live there so I go back a couple times a year to visit.

I went to both BY and Akiva-I graduated from Akiva, honestly I don't want to go into detail about their differences or which one was better. They both have pros and cons.... If you want details you can PM me.

I MISS YOU!!!!! I think it's time for another visit!!!
(Bet ya can't guess who it iiis! OK maybe you can. Shhhh.)

PinkFridge

Post Wed, Nov 18 2009, 6:23 pm
This week's weekend Hamodia has a spread on D-troit. (No, hyphen's not due to any intrinsic holiness Very Happy )

NativeMom

Post Thu, Nov 19 2009, 12:16 am
amother wrote:
NativeMom wrote:

I MISS YOU!!!!! I think it's time for another visit!!!
(Bet ya can't guess who it iiis! OK maybe you can. Shhhh.)

lol hmmmmm I wonder?????? miss ya too!! definitely time for another one Smile

Gsanmb

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 8:44 pm
bumping because dh has a possibility there for a job and I'd love to find out more...

We are 'frum dati le'umi', ba'alei teshuva (well, I am much more frum than dh but he cooperates)...trying to figure out neighborhoods, school, etc.

imasinger

Post Mon, Feb 08 2010, 9:51 pm
posted to wrong thread, sorry.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Moving/ Relocating