Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Moroccan cigars

Amital

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 5:28 pm
Moroccan Cigars
Makes about 30

1 lb phyllo dough
1/4 C melted butter or margarine
1 medium onion, finely diced
1.5 lb ground beef or lamb
1 T hot sauce
1 T minced garlic
5 t mustard
2 t cinnamon
salt and pepper to taste
1 bunch cilantro
5 eggs lightly beaten
Pinch each of allspice, ginger, cayenne
oil as needed

Soften onion in oil, add meat and break up. Add seasonings and cook 15 minutes, then add cilantro and eggs and cook, stirring, until creamy. Adjust seasonings as desired.

Cut each phyllo sheet into 3 rectangles and place under moist towel. Brush 1 piece at a time with margarine/butter, then place about 2t meat mixture along short side. Roll up , sealing edges. Repeat with remaining mixture.

To Bake: place on cookie sheet with a little room between each, bake 30 minutes at 350F until golden.

Authentic-Fry: Fry in oil until golden.

Serve hot with hummus, tehina, etc.

Can freeze cooked cigars.

Time savers: layer meat and dough like a lasagna, bake until golden ("Moroccan cigar box") or fill bread dough, cut a steam slit, and bake. Bread dough works for individual servings, like borekas, or a longer loaf and served in slices.

bubby

Post Mon, Jul 20 2009, 6:36 pm
I adore these, especially with Tahina. The best I ever tasted are from Mendy's @ the JCM. But they're so fattening Sad Maybe I'll make them for Shabbos...I'm having VERY choshoveh company! Wink Wink

sarahd

Post Tue, Sep 08 2009, 4:13 pm
With what else can cigars be served? I'm having potato cigars tomorrow as an appetizer (company for dinner) and I don't care for techina or chummus. Any other sauce suggestions?

Mrs Bissli

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 8:32 am
sarahd, hope it's not too late. Since cigarim are fried in oil, I'd stick to something that's not too heavy. I usually serve them hot on a platter with lemon wedges and optional pepper sauce (harissa). Aside from that, for appetisers, I'd say israeli salad (tomato, cuke, salad onion). If you want to go moroccan you can serve with carrot salad (either the cooked sliced version or grated version). I make refershing and very simple carrot salad--simply mix in salt, equal amount of orange and lemon juice, olive oil, and chopped parsley.

Amital

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 1:47 pm
sarahd, I also serve my potato cigars with sweet and sour sauce, a chile sauce, or hot sauce. Maybe duck sauce would go well?

Strudel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 2:09 pm
I served these a few weeks ago on Friday night along with the chicken. The chicken was covered in "kickin' chicken" sauce from Kosher by design short on time. Its a mix of duck sauce and taco seasoning. I put some in a dish and the guests used it as a dip for the cigars.

sarahd

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 3:08 pm
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up not serving the cigars tonight, but I plan to serve them on Chanukah (planning ahead for a change) and I will keep this thread in mind.

amital, do you make your own sweet and sour sauce? I was thinking originally of serving it like that, but need a recipe.

pinktichel

Post Wed, Sep 09 2009, 4:18 pm
sarahd wrote:
Thanks for the suggestions. I ended up not serving the cigars tonight, but I plan to serve them on Chanukah (planning ahead for a change) and I will keep this thread in mind.

amital, do you make your own sweet and sour sauce? I was thinking originally of serving it like that, but need a recipe.

Pleeeeeeeeeeeease don't tell me you're thinking of Chanukah already!!!!
Btw, I have a delicious S&S sauce recipe if you'd like. Warning: lots of sugar in it!!

Can I use wonton or eggroll wrappers to make cigars? I don't know if they sell phyllo dough here and I would love to try them. Oh, and can I freeze cigars?

willow

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 5:24 am
Can you use plain puff pastry?

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Sep 10 2009, 5:29 am
I've made one with wonton skin when I couldn't get hold of filo dough. It comes out thicker but still tasted fine.

Puff pastry dough--it'll be hard to roll and stay in the cigar shape as pastry expands. If you're using puff pastry, it will be brekas, not cigarim.

sarahd

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 4:13 pm
I'm reviving this thread, since Chanukah has arrived, the guests are coming tomorrow and I never got the sweet and sour sauce recipe. I imagine pinktichel is out of commission tonight (mazel tov!); does anyone else have a recipe??

Mrs Bissli

Post Sun, Dec 13 2009, 5:08 pm
For a very easy/quasi-cheat sweet and sour sauce, you can mix 1 carton/tin of passata (500g) with 1 small jar of apricot jam (or 1 tin of cranberry sauce) and simmer over low flame for 5-10min. You can adjust seasoning--add brown sugar if you want it sweeter, vinegar if you want it more tart.

This is not the same as sweet and sour sauce for chinese cuisine, which doesn't use tomato but use vinegar and thickened with corn starch.

Or try bottled sweet chili sauce (if available where you live). But then again, I don't serve cigarim with dips as they already are seasoned.

sarahd

Post Mon, Dec 14 2009, 5:10 am
Thanks for the recipe. I would serve the cigars with salads the way you suggested above, but I know my guests won't eat it, so why go to the trouble of preparing it?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics