Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
Buy renovated house or not?
Previous  1  2

nicole81

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 1:01 pm
why would it be dangerous? by cheaply I mean non granite countertops, stock cabinets, standard and not SS appliances... stock vanities in the bathroom, etc. I had no reason to assume that it wasn't up to code. and anyhow I had a home inspection and there was only one slight problem with the electrical that the owner easily fixed.

if I were purchasing a house before the work was done, I'd speak to my attorney about possible clauses that could be put into the contract regarding the work being done to code.

pecan

Post Tue, Jul 21 2009, 1:06 pm
I like the idea of putting it into the contract - that the codes need to be followed. Thanks for the idea.

tzatza

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 6:41 am
DefyGravity wrote:
The company we're currently using had great references, we got his name from friends of ours. They come every day, answer our calls immediately, and have been a pleasure to work with.

Woud you mind sharing info on this contractor?

TIA

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 7:12 am
They're located in Baltimore.

JK Construction
Joe Giusto 717-779-6108
Rich Williams 443-463-3143

sky

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 7:14 am
It depends on what cheaply means. If it is a really cheap job where the floors, walls, cabinets won't last very long - they use the cheapest materials possible then it really is not worth it. If you are planning on living in the house long term don't you want changes done in a way that will last.

pecan

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 8:14 am
yes, but we can't afford expensive things, plus buying the house. It's too much to do things on an expensive scale, so fixing it up very well with great quality is not an option for the whole house. So I really need to know what I can go cheap on and what I can't.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 8:24 am
pecan wrote:
I'm also worried, because I heard they do not necessarily follow the codes when they do electricity and plumbing.

If they have a building permit, then they'll get inspected, so everything will be up to code. That's also why it's good to hire a general contractor, so that way, they'll oversee the work and make sure the electricians and plumbers are doing what they're supposed to.

What exactly needs to be done to the house? Is there mold? Do you need to redo all the ductwork? New plumbing?

Pickle Lady

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 8:25 am
You want to do simple but try not to be cheap with quality. Just because its expensive doesn't means its good quality and just because its cheap doesn't mean its not quality.

greenfire

Post Wed, Jul 22 2009, 8:32 am
there is 2 kinds of cheap - low cost - poor quality/workmanship ... you have to know the difference ... cheap stuff cheaply installed is not very economic in the long run ... better go for quality - on sale ...

things like roof, furnace you NEED to have ... a new toilet can wait ... doing floors one room at a time can also be a slow process - each as you can afford same ...

you really need to take inventory of what needs to get done as well as a list of violations from the city inspector to see what they say must get done ... and go from there ...

keep in mind you might need to keep your current place of residence while putting that one into liveable conditions - so rent/mortgage will overlap a few months ...
Page 2 of 2 Previous  1  2 Recent Topics