Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette
Giving a Pregnant woman your seat
Previous  1  2  3  4

Mommastuff

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 8:29 pm
I was very tired today and entered a full bus. I thought that I'd have to stand the whole time but some nice lady (not Jewish looking) offered me her seat. I don't usually accept this offer cuz I'm ok but not today. I was really appreciative since I was tired enough to sit on the gross bus steps. Sometimes I get offered a seat when the person is about to get off, but this lady stood and when there was an empty seat she sat down again.

I was needless to say impressed with this ladys manners.

Love My Babes

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 10:31 am
Debbie wrote:
Why should a youngish girl or other non-pregnant woman have a "right" to a particular seat, just because she got on a stop earlier? The person with the "right" to the seat is the one who needs it more. If people aren't willing to play by those rules (ie, they aren't willing to stand for someone who needs the seat more), let THEM be the ones to take the bus only before 6am or after 10, or to buy their own car, or to stay home.

I have arthiritis and I get lower back pain; if I'm sitting on a full bus and a pregnant lady gets on should I stand or should I just hope someone else gets up?
It's not easy to see why a non pregnant woman might remain seated when a pregnant woman gets on the bus but there can be perfectly valid reasons.

sounds like you are contradicting yourself here. u dont think non-pregnant women have a right to a seat but then u are validating why you dont need to stand up for them. there is no such thing as a right and there definitely are no rules as to who belongs in the seat. yes, if u get on the bus and theres a seat for you, its yours!!! but if there isnt, and u need one, you need to hope someone will be polite and give it to u. public transportation was not made only for ppl who are pregnant or have arthritis. and just because u want to sit, doesnt mean ppl who need to get to work should travel at insane hours. but how would ppl know when u get on and stand that your back hurts you? there are many reasons that ppl do not give up their seats. if u feel comfortable asking, then ask for a seat, but dont expect the seat to be yours! I agree with giving up seats for elderly or pregnant women, and I do if I need to. I dont travel with public trans often at all, but ive gotten up for others and im sure I could find excuses as to why I dont need to. I dont travel well and often feel dizzy and sick when I travel, are u gonna be mad when u have know idea why ppl dont stand for you and they cannot see the pain in your back? or should they be mad at you for not standing when their conditions is more visible than yours?
Page 4 of 4 Previous  1  2  3  4 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Relationships -> Manners & Etiquette