Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Children's Health
Crooked teeth and my private fears

micki

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:04 pm
when I was younger I had a very traumatic experience with my teeth. in addition we were never taken to dentists routinly.
somehow I never got any cavities till I was an adult, and as to routine cleanings- I still don't do that.

now my kids seem to have problems with their teeth, ones teeth are crooked and have a gap, plus they have this funny stain on them, and my other has a baby tooth that is very loose, but the adult tooth is already growing in behind it! its lower in the mouth about half a centimeter lower!
I am freaking out- I know its because of my trauma and I am trying so hard not to pass on my fears to my kids.

did anyones kids have these problems? how are they resolved?

red sea

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:16 pm
micki wrote:
when I was younger I had a very traumatic experience with my teeth. in addition we were never taken to dentists routinly.
somehow I never got any cavities till I was an adult, and as to routine cleanings- I still don't do that.

now my kids seem to have problems with their teeth, ones teeth are crooked and have a gap, plus they have this funny stain on them, and my other has a baby tooth that is very loose, but the adult tooth is already growing in behind it! its lower in the mouth about half a centimeter lower!
I am freaking out- I know its because of my trauma and I am trying so hard not to pass on my fears to my kids.

did anyones kids have these problems? how are they resolved?

crooked & gap means start saving for braces,
stain could be cleaned with a cleaning or can be like a thing you are born with,
teeth growing funny can correct themselves or you should start saving for another set of braces,
calm down, its totally normal teeth stuff, and why don't you just take them to the dentist?
If you don't want to pass down your fears don't let them hear you ever freaking out like this.

micki

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:22 pm
so this is normal?
I try very hard and whever they show me teeth problems, I say go ask tatti.
I think I will send hubby to the dentist with them. he has no hang ups.
I had such a trauma of having my teeth pulled I still quake whenver I have to go to the dentist!
but they won't have to have any teeth pulled will they?

thansk redsea- now I can go to sleep a bit more relaxed, and I won't worry all night. really thanks.

Tefila

Post Sun, Mar 26 2006, 11:57 pm
Micki it's not like they r older, their teeth are still coming in. I wouldn't worry nor would I listen to a dentist who says they need pulled I would always get a second opinion.
But seriously as long as you are meticulous with brushing them well at night time then it should be fine.
Though genes do I know play a role in good teeth too Exclamation

amother

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 7:54 am
micki, as far as the teeth are concerned: Are the crooked ones the baby teeth? If they are, I was told by a dentist not to necessarily worry about the adult teeth. The adult teeth may not come in crooked! (My son's 1st two teeth came in so crooked!) As far as braces for the kids, don't worry, the kids will be OK. I had awful adult teeth! When it's time, find an orthodontist you are totally comfortable with, and don't be afraid to switch if you don't like him. Mine was wonderful and it made the whole process so much easier! (One of my daughters had beautiful, straight baby teeth and it's the adult teeth that came it crooked shock )

Your fear of dentists is normal...I don't like them either! But I know I must be brave because it's not good for the kids to see me nervous...I don't want them to be. An example about fears in general....I used to be TERRIED of elevators. When I was about 7 or 8, my father came home with the story that he had gotten stuck in an elevator that day at work. I heard what he was saying and was completely petrified of elevators after that. Everywhere I went I'd walk up the stairs. I even walked up 23 floors in a hotel once! When I had kids, it all changed. I didn't want them to see their mother afraid nor pass the fear onto them. (It's not fun being scared of stuff!) Take a deep breath before you go to the dentist and reward YOURSELF when you go!

cindy324

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 1:47 pm
Do not put off taking them to the dentist or you'll end up like me and have to pay $2000 for fillings. I put off taking my kids to the dentist for 5 years because the last time we were there my then 4 year old threw such a fit, they couldn't even calm her with that gas they use to knock them out a little. So when I finally got up the courage she ended up with 8 cavities and my 4 year old had 4. You should take them to a pediatric dentist who specializes in dealing with " difficult children" . Mine is so good , my kids don't even say boo when I tell them we're going to the dentist.

As far as pulling goes, my 11 year old just had a baby tooth pulled, because it was getting rotten. The whole thing took literally 30 seconds, no pain, nothing.

Make sure they get regular cleanings and check-ups every 6 months to prevent cavities.

micki

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 3:58 pm
thank you all- and to the pm I got. thank you.
sooo I took a deep breath and made an appointment for next thursday- and hubby will take them. my 5 year old actually cheered when I told her! how strange.
and she said she is counting the days until she can go!
I wish I was so uninhibated!
its with a pediatric dentist and we know him well.
whew!

chocolate moose

Post Mon, Mar 27 2006, 4:10 pm
Dentists can do a lot more now than they did years ago. Find someone really good and stay positive.

cindy324

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 12:49 pm
MICKI Thumbs Up Good for you (and the kids of course)

ny21

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 1:31 pm
I am glad things worked out for you Wink

timeout

Post Tue, Mar 28 2006, 1:53 pm
Since my son is let's say "very active" I worried what he would do a the dentist Thank goodness he took it like a pro better than me 4 cavities filled later he still doesn't hate the Dentist as much as I did as a kid.

But the Pediatric Dentist really helped the minute my son steps in they put on a video and the Dentist re-named my son Reb Mottel he loves it he won't let them use gas he'd rather have needles which is odd but it works.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics