Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Gemachs
Gowns in the summer?

pecan

Post Thu, Jul 23 2009, 10:06 pm
I need a gown and I've been calling gemachs, but there are no answers. Could it be that some of them are closed in the summer?
I want one that's reasonably priced, which is why I want a gemach and not a rental. Where can I go?
I've tried Berkowitz and Kanarek with no luck.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 11:11 am
If they're closed now they me reopen after next Shabbos (Shabbos Nachamu) -- don't know if you can wait that long.

BZBEE

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 11:26 am
They should have an answering machine with their hours.
Did you try leaving a message?

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:15 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
If they're closed now they me reopen after next Shabbos (Shabbos Nachamu) -- don't know if you can wait that long.

why? plenty of people get married soon after tisha b'av.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:19 pm
Raisin wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

People getting married soon after Tisha B'Av would normally have already completed arrangements for their gowns.

Raisin

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 12:34 pm
OOTBubby wrote:
Raisin wrote:
OOTBubby wrote:

People getting married soon after Tisha B'Av would normally have already completed arrangements for their gowns.

Haha. not the people I know. at my brothers wedding recently, most of my sisters (who live oot) only got their gown a couple of days before.

pecan

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 2:40 pm
There's no room for messages and we are going out of town the Sunday after Shabbos Nachamu. I didn't call the gemach in crown heights yet, because I heard it's very expensive and I want to keep costs down. I may not have a choice though.
Thanks.

OOTBubby

Post Fri, Jul 24 2009, 3:36 pm
Raisin wrote:

Haha. not the people I know. at my brothers wedding recently, most of my sisters (who live oot) only got their gown a couple of days before.

I guess you could do that in New York (or maybe EY) but in my city (with a great gown gemach) if you tried that you wouldn't have a dress (sometimes it takes a number of days to get an appointment and during the busy chasunah seasons, a lot of the dresses are already out and in use).

Marina615

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 8:53 pm
I have the reverse problem. My daughter was married this past June, and we cannot seem to find a gemach to which we can donate her gown, veil, tiara, petticoat, evening bag and gown bag. No one answers their phones or returns my messages. We need a place in NY, preferably Brooklyn, because my dream (I dream small) is to pick everything up at the cleaner's after work and then walk it over to the gemach. No room to store it at home. Sleeves are below the elbow, neckline is just below collarbone. Oh yes, and according to my accountant it needs to be a 501(c)(3) organization or shul, meaning that donations to it are tax-deductible. Is this asking too much?
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics