Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Sephardic Food
Lentils Recipe?

Aizer K'negdo in progress

Post Wed, Jul 29 2009, 11:59 am
I'm looking for an easy lentil recipe (not a soup recipe please) for the last seudah. Any suggestions

Thanks

ray family

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 4:02 pm
a bit late in responding but what about megadera (rice and lentils0
Saute a lot of onions until they begin to carmelize
cook lentils until almost done
I have to remove the lentils from the pot and measure the water but some pple are able to eyeball it
add rice (I do 1:2 rice:lentils) and whatever amount of water you would normally use to cook your rice
put the lentils back in and 1/3 of onions
add s&p s/t I also add some chicken consume
cook until rice is ready
some pple like to eat it w/ leben or sour cream

Post Thu, Jul 30 2009, 10:44 pm
Thank you

That sound delicious!

Hope your fast went well.

Be well

Mrs Bissli

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 9:59 am
obviously too late for the pre-fast seudah, but if you can find tiny green lentils called Puy Lentil, you can simply boil it for 20-30min till it's al dente (not mushy). Drain the water, season with the equal amount of balsamic vinegar, soy sauce and olive oil. Can be served cold or hot. They have delicious nutty flavour/texture.

I also make dahl, which is curry made with red lentils. You sautee a few chopped onions, add about 2 cups cleaned and rinsed red lentils, curry powder, 4-5 whole garlic cloves. Cook for about 1hr (can be prepared on slow cooker). Add chilis if you like heat. Delish on steamed basmati rice. DH can have this for breakfast.

MaBelleVie

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 10:53 am
Mrs Bissli wrote:
I also make dahl, which is curry made with red lentils. You sautee a few chopped onions, add about 2 cups cleaned and rinsed red lentils, curry powder, 4-5 whole garlic cloves. Cook for about 1hr (can be prepared on slow cooker). Add chilis if you like heat. Delish on steamed basmati rice. DH can have this for breakfast.

I'm not too experienced with lentils, but this sounds like someting we'd like. . . can you please clarify- do you add water to the pot too? if so, how much? thanks!

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 12:58 pm
MB that sounds DELICIOUS please give me more detail as per the water quantity and so forth.

Thank you Very Happy

Mrs Bissli

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 4:27 pm
Oops sorry for a belated reply. For dahl, you'll need 2liter water (10 cups) for 2 cup lentils. We like it somewhat on a soupy side, so use less water if you want it thicker. For this you'll need to use red lentils without skin, and it gets cooked till lentils go mushy.

MaBelleVie

Post Thu, Aug 13 2009, 8:32 pm
thanks mrs bissli! it's never too late to try a new recipe Very Happy
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics