Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Anyone make aliyahu with Nefesh B'Nefesh?
1  2  Next

Teacup9

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 6:01 am
My mother in law, BH is making aliyah with Nefesh B'Nefesh. Because she first applied two years ago and still hasn't managed to properly submit all her paperwork I am doing my best to step in and take over.

MIL is using Nefesh B'Nefesh because she believes they will pay for her flight and give her money to ship her belongings. If it is just a matter of needing a flight I would pay for the flight and let her apply for the NBN program for people already living in Israel or have her daughter already living in Israel help her obtain her aliyah benefits. The price she is paying for storage as well as other money she is throwing away by not being in Israel yet, makes it well worth it to get her on a flight ASAP.

However if NBN will really provide her with 5-7k to help ship a pod of her stuff that makes the program well worth it. What does NBN look for when deciding whom to grant financial assistance for moving expenses? My mother in law can look very needy because of health problems, a deceased spouse, and little assets on paper however I worry that they won't want someone to help someone with so little potential to contribute $$ back into the Israeli economy. However with a little mental health care and help from her daughter she does have marketable skills that NBN could not possibly know unless I tell MIL to write about them in her request for financial help. However maybe NBN won't give grant money to someone with earning potential? The thing is of course, that it is just potential given the right circumstances, and not a definite income she can rely on.

Thanks so much for any help you can provide.

roze22

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 10:27 am
I am going on one of their august flights (only two weeks from now!). they do give you a free flight (from JFK), that is for everyone, and if you live outside of NY, NJ, etc, they will give you $100 per person to get to JFK.

as far as other financial assistance... we applied but did not receive any. the look at your assets (make you fill out a form signed by an accountant which says how much you have in savings, housing, etc). they do require you to write a little essay on why you need the money, so she can explain the specifics there. you can email them and give the basics of her situation, and they can tell you if you should apply or not, and what the chances are of getting money. it mostly depends how many other people are applying and what the demand is.

ChossidMom

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 10:51 am
Wow! Very exciting to see there are still people making aliyah!!! Behatzlacha!

Inspired

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 11:01 am
AFAIK a free flight comes from the sochnut, you don't need to go through NBN for that.

Teacup9

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 11:01 am
Thank you.

I did go over the financial affidavit and am helping her gather her information for our accountant. She has a condo in Israel, but no other property, a dwindling checking account with money she received from selling her house (in a rural area for way under market value so I think she got 100k), and regular social security checks.

While the financial affidavit has a space to show credit card debit, which she may or may not have settled on yet, it doesn't show other money owed. She owes money to her daughter in Israel for paying for things to set up the condo and she may owe contractors money for repairs made. Her regular prescription costs are very high and taking up a good chunk of that money until she can get to Israel and use health care there. I have been pressuring her to get on a medicaid prescription plan, but she seems to think it isn't worth the hassle since she is moving to Israel. However, I have a different idea of how long it will take for her to complete this application. Either way paying for the prescriptions dwindles her checking account and getting on a plan would effect her monthly social security check. She has other large monthly bills like storage for her furniture in the pod waiting to ship, a big cell phone plan, and dining out. I am wondering if she should pay off her loans and prepay some of her bills to accurately reflect the amount of money she has to move to Israel with, however I don't want her too look too desolate to even be worth helping.

As for the essay are you talking about the personal statement? For some reason I got the impression that was just a short statement. Because of her mental state right now I am thinking my MIL will write all about how it was always her and her late husband's dream to retire in Israel and how she is so upset to be going alone. Instead should she concentrate on her employment possibilities so she looks like more of an asset to the country rather than a financial drain?

roze22

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 12:52 pm
for us there was a personal statement for the nbn general application (in which we discussed why we want to move to israel, and how we will make a living/stay there) and a statement for the financial application (in which we discussed why we needed help, and what the money would go to). email Fass yfass@nbn.org.il or the head of applications eva@nbn.org.il to ask them specific questions on how best to explain your mothers situation. they were very helpful to us

Ezrachar

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 1:47 pm
Roze!!! You and I are going to be on the same flight, we are also going in two weeks!
I'm so nervous, I can' even tell you.

There are other organizations that will give financial grants - talk to the aliyah shaliach. There are christian organizations that believe that all jews need to be in Israel before the messiah will come, so they will give financial grants to jews making aliyah! Unbelieveable, eh?

mummy-bh

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 1:49 pm
Ezrachar wrote:
There are christian organizations that believe that all jews need to be in Israel before the messiah will come, so they will give financial grants to jews making aliyah! Unbelieveable, eh?
this is the organisation that is funding our transportation! (in 11 days!)

Teacup9

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:33 pm
Thank you everyone!

Where can I find more about aliyah shaliach? When I google it I am finding it in regards to getting aliyah documents certified rather than grant applications or I find grant information for English teachers.

Marion

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 3:07 pm
Jewish Agency. Most large cities still have sochnut shlichim. And yes, the free (or almost free) one-way airfare is a program of the sochnut, not NBN. I seem to recall there being a $75(CDN) processing fee, but that covered everything. I was single at the time and had a whopping $1500(CDN) in savings...they still took me. Not NBN, the sochnut.

BeershevaBubby

Post Sat, Aug 01 2009, 3:37 pm
Are any of the newcomers coming to Ariel by any chance?

roze22

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 12:52 am
I agree with finding your local jewish agency... our shaliach was sooooo helpful.

our NBN application fee was $100, and the "free flight" was $50 for every person over.... 12?

and nope... we are moving south! two weeks.... any advice for the new olim?

grace413

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 1:48 am
Advice for new olim:

1. Take deep breaths.
2. Remember that all beginnings are difficult.
3. Remove the words logic, reason and fair from your mind.
4. Remember that August is the hottest month of the year, it will cool down by October.
5. Be proud of yourself for making the big move
6. Enjoy the fact that you have the zchut to live in Eretz Yisrael and are smart enough to take advantage of the opportunity to do so.
7. Let people help you - they will be happy to do it and you will do it for those who come after you.

Hatzlacha to all those making aliya. Despite any difficulties, I'm convinced this is the place for Jews to be and the best place to raise Jewish children

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 1:54 am
Inspired wrote:
AFAIK a free flight comes from the sochnut, you don't need to go through NBN for that.
Yes, but there is nearly as much paperwork to fill out for them as there is for nefesh binefesh, so if the issue is paperwork, that won't solve anything.

Seraph

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 2:00 am
AFAIK, NBN doesnt give money as grants based on earning potential. If you speak to them for aliya advice, they may suggest to you that a move may not be the best thing in your situation if they have reason to give such advice, but I dont think grants are based on that.
I got a grant from them, but I'm forbidden to disclose the amount. I think your mil would probably be eligible for some grant, but the amount I am unable to say.

Call up nefesh binefesh- I know two of the advisors who probably would be great to speak to- perhaps ask for yosef dishinger or steve/kasriel accardi- they may be able to give you good advice on the situation.

amother

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 2:00 am
Ezrachar wrote:
Roze!!! You and I are going to be on the same flight, we are also going in two weeks!
I'm so nervous, I can' even tell you.

There are other organizations that will give financial grants - talk to the aliyah shaliach. There are christian organizations that believe that all jews need to be in Israel before the messiah will come, so they will give financial grants to jews making aliyah! Unbelieveable, eh?

My parents are also going Aug 10.

hila

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 2:07 am
Welcome to all teh new OLIM !!! YAY

And come and join the life in Israel frum here on imamother as soon as you gethere.

Ask all the questions now.

Practice your Hebrew,

And if anyione is coming to Efrat or Gush Etsion - let me know please

Behatslacha

shabbatiscoming

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 4:12 am
my brother is also coming on a summer NBN flight (aug 19) and he will IYH be going to hesder. (we are shepping nachat :>)

also, to all of you women who are making aliyah.....KOL HAKAVOD and may your yishuv into Eretz Yisrael be a good one !!!!!!

chanchy123

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 6:16 am
hila wrote:
Welcome to all teh new OLIM !!! YAY

And come and join the life in Israel frum here on imamother as soon as you gethere.

Ask all the questions now.

Practice your Hebrew,

And if anyione is coming to Efrat or Gush Etsion - let me know please

Behatslacha

I'm echoing Hila here.
Welcome new olim.
בהצלחה

mominisrael2

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 6:29 am
roze22 wrote:
I am going on one of their august flights (only two weeks from now!). they do give you a free flight (from JFK), that is for everyone, and if you live outside of NY, NJ, etc, they will give you $100 per person to get to JFK.

Unfortunately with the way air travel is going these days, for us that $100/per person went mostly towards our baggage fees getting to NY! Sad

But aside from the horrible time we had on the first leg of the journey, once we got to NY everything was wonderful, NBN was amazing and we were very happy with the help they provided.

As for the grant -- I think the amount is based more on past earnings/savings than on earning potential...we had to give them a ton of financial information, but you get the money along with your TZ a few days after aliyah so they don't really know what you're going to be doing after that...
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions