Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Toddlers
Has anyone read and tried 1-2-3 Magic book?
1  2  Next

tzatza

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 11:24 am
My nephew's doctor recommended this book to my sister. Online review ar mixed, but greater majority lean towards it being an effective technique. I am curious if anyone read and tried it successfully (or otherwise).

TIA

NotInNJMommy

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 11:43 am
I've found it to be effective. It's hard work, but simple work, if that makes any sense. (ie. I have to be disciplined and consistent, but it's not "complex", etc.) The first day or so can be tough bc it's change, so likely more tantrums, etc., but after taht, it's been easier.

SingALong

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:06 pm
Firstly I found the DVDs easier to understand than the book dr phelan sends over the message really well verbally. My dd was only 3 when I did it so I couldn't do everything but the little I did worked.

Now she's 5 I want to read it again and try it again it's hard for this method to be consistent with her since I'm away 3 full days a week and babysitter can't do it but I'll try

sky

Post Fri, Jul 31 2009, 3:46 pm
I read the book and found the ideas very helpful. I didn't implement it fully but it gave me a great basis.

bigmomma

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 7:28 am
Love and Logic is really good!

wifee

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 8:23 am
Where did you buy the book/dvds from?

NotInNJMommy

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 8:25 am
I borrowed the book from a friend.

wifee

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 12:59 pm
Does anyone know where I can get them?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 1:00 pm
wifee wrote:
Does anyone know where I can get them?
even the judaica stores now have it. Try the library, or amazon.com

I found it to work like charm on 3-6 year olds. But it also works on husbands if they act like babies Twisted Evil

Aribenj

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 10:52 pm
I love the idea and I can see how it would work really well. But it only works for STARTING behavior (like clean up your room, come to the table, wash your hands, brush your teeth) But I don't see how it works for STOPPING behavior (stop hitting, stop spitting, etc.) It doesn't work for telling kids NOT to do something.. Which is more of an issue in my house.

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 02 2009, 10:58 pm
Aribenj wrote:
I love the idea and I can see how it would work really well. But it only works for STARTING behavior (like clean up your room, come to the table, wash your hands, brush your teeth) But I don't see how it works for STOPPING behavior (stop hitting, stop spitting, etc.) It doesn't work for telling kids NOT to do something.. Which is more of an issue in my house.

Actually, I had success the opposite way. Kid starts messing up her dinner plate "that's a one". She spills her soup into her pasta "That's a two"...

HealthCoach

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 12:41 am
We tried it and loved it. The problem is you have to stick with it 100% of the time and it's hard when you're busy. Now we kind of do it. When I tell my 8 year old to go to her room for 10 minutes, she says she is only 8. I say fine, take 8 minutes.

tzatza

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 9:51 am
I am thinking of taking it out at the library and read. Will report back Smile

beila

Post Mon, Aug 03 2009, 11:57 pm
Excellent book. Very effective. But eventually, kids get older and it doesn't work as well. Works well for toddler to about 11. Becomes very complicated after that, and I couldn't really follow it and didn't bother.

EBC

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 1:20 am
what is the basic philosophy of this book?

ShakleeMom

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:02 am
EBC wrote:
what is the basic philosophy of this book?

To teach the kid sin advance that not listening will give them a consequence, but you won't pounce on them just like that, you will give them a gentle 1-2-3 approach. Within a short time they stop after 1 or 2 and never get to 3.

shirafruma

Post Sun, Aug 23 2009, 11:19 am
I tried it with my oldest son and believe me, it was way more effective than a patch, and also saved both my husband from a lot of screaming. Now we do it with my daughter who is just 2..it WORKS!

mltjm

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 12:22 am
I've never used it personally but heard from a friend that it really works.

Shalshelet

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 1:33 am
Does anyone know how it fits into parenting the Jewish way? From what I understand, you're not supposed to show emotions or explain the reasoning behind the consequences. It seems kind of harsh at first glance.

ShakleeMom

Post Mon, Aug 24 2009, 11:36 am
Shalshelet wrote:
Does anyone know how it fits into parenting the Jewish way? From what I understand, you're not supposed to show emotions or explain the reasoning behind the consequences. It seems kind of harsh at first glance.

I don't get your question. You calmly show then kid in a respectable way that what you just did is a ONE. They know that if it continues it will be a TWO. This is the most decent way to discipline in my opinion. It emowers the child to take control and change in a positive way.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics