Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management
What does your cleaning lady/babysitter wear to work? A vent
1  2  Next

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:03 am
My cleaning lady has typically come to work dressed and then changed to ratty sweats and a t-shirt while she works around the house and babysits my baby and that is fine but today she came in wearing a tank top and I thought to myself ok she is going to change and she did but she put on another tank top. Something about it grosses me out, I find it a little unsanitary that she is working with my stuff and more importantly, my baby, with her arms exposed like that. I could never say anything so I guess this is more of a vent than anything else.

Another vent while I am here: her favorite line to my baby is "what's the matter?" She says that to my baby no joke about 50 times a day. Every single time she sees my baby the first thing she exclaims is "what's the matter?" Every SINGLE time. My baby is not yet a year so I don't think comprehends what those words mean but if baby did, would prob get a complex that something is ALWAYS wrong. I can't take it!!!!!

My last vent: DH bought my baby new undershirts. There was a sale so he got sizes to go till the baby is a lot older (hey we didnt know when 40% off would come around again) and I gave one pack to my babysitter to wash and she said to me "how much do these cost?" Why is it her business to know what we spend on my babies things? She has grown up children so she was just asking for curiosity sake. It made me uncomfortable to discuss the price of my purchase with her....

Sorry. I know I need to get someone new if she makes me this upset but it isn't so easy to find someone.

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:07 am
I guess if the way she dresses bothers you, you could get her one of those "maid of honor" uniforms. And asking how much the undershirts cost bothers you that much?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:13 am
I just felt that if she is inquiring what I spend on things she might be trying to see how much money we have and that made me uncomfortable. It's the second time recently she knew about how much I spent on something (the other thing being a plumber fixing a pipe which cost a pretty penny and she was there and heard him tell me how much the job was).

cassandra

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:20 am
If someone bought many of the same item to stock up I might wonder how much it cost too.

That being said, you should not be leaving your baby with someone who gives you a bad vibe.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:23 am
It was 4 packs of undershirts.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:34 am
I don't see what's unsanitary about bare arms. How is bare arms more of a germ catcher than cloth? At least arms can be washed easily during the day.

chocolate moose

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:44 am
amother wrote:
Something about it grosses me out, I find it a little unsanitary that she is working with my stuff and more importantly, my baby, with her arms exposed like that. I could never say anything so I guess this is more of a vent than anything else.

Are you thinking that if someone touches the upper arm, then they have to wash negol vasser ? Because that part of the body is usually covered?

amother wrote:
My cleaning lady has typically come to work dressed and then changed to ratty sweats and a t-shirt while she works around the house and babysits my baby and that is fine but today she came in wearing a tank top and I thought to myself ok she is going to change and she did but she put on another tank top. Something about it grosses me out, I find it a little unsanitary that she is working with my stuff and more importantly, my baby, with her arms exposed like that. I could never say anything so I guess this is more of a vent than anything else.

Well...you could provide her with a uniform.

amother wrote:
Another vent while I am here: her favorite line to my baby is "what's the matter?" She says that to my baby no joke about 50 times a day. Every single time she sees my baby the first thing she exclaims is "what's the matter?" Every SINGLE time. My baby is not yet a year so I don't think comprehends what those words mean but if baby did, would prob get a complex that something is ALWAYS wrong. I can't take it!!!!!

Does she have to take care of the baby? Couldn't she just clean, or cook and clean ?

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:54 am
She does take care of the baby sometimes but I am hesitant to leave the baby with her for long periods of time. I am mostly with the baby but there are times I just have to go somewhere and can't take the baby along so that is when she babysits too. It's not that often. But no matter what she sees the baby and says that line when I am home too. It's a constant thing.

bubby

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 10:54 am
In answer to your question & to borrow from another thread...she doesn't walk around in her unmentionables! LOL

Jeans & a tank top is fine. DH isn't home & even if he were, he keeps out of her way anyway. I don't care, but I agree, if it bothers you, buy her a short cotton robe. You can tell her it's because you don't want her to get her designer shmattehs all dirty. And rubber gloves will keep her lower arms covered & protect her hands.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:48 am
Ugh now I have another problemo.
I asked her to throw out what was in the fridge and I forgot that I had dairy soup in a container in the fridge. She took it out and didn't ask me about it, assumed it was meat, and dumped the soup and rinsed the container and then put it in my meat dishwasher (didn't run the dishwasher).

I asked her if she used a sponge and she said no. But she seemed very scared when I said oh no that is dairy so she may not be honest about that. I will have to throw out the meat sponge and the plastic container but I don't know if I have an issue with the dishwasher or not.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:53 am
It seems you want her to dress like a frum Jew and understand kashrut like a frum Jew, so maybe you should hire a frum Jew? You'd probably be much happier.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:57 am
She could have asked me before she did that is all I am saying. I forgot that was in the fridge I thought all she was going to do was throw out some leftovers.
And no...pants/jeans are fine for her to wear I just don't like the tank top. I don't like my babies face right next to some strangers skin when she holds the baby. She isn't washing her arms at work and I don't keep track of her shower schedule! But she does wash her work clothes in my washing machine.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:59 am
Arms aren't germy, hands are germy. If she washes her hands sometimes, your baby is fine.

Barbara

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:59 am
amother wrote:
I asked her to throw out what was in the fridge and I forgot that I had dairy soup in a container in the fridge. She took it out and didn't ask me about it, assumed it was meat, and dumped the soup and rinsed the container and then put it in my meat dishwasher (didn't run the dishwasher).

I asked her if she used a sponge and she said no. But she seemed very scared when I said oh no that is dairy so she may not be honest about that. I will have to throw out the meat sponge and the plastic container but I don't know if I have an issue with the dishwasher or not.

Why is putting a dairy container in the dishwasher a problem, if the dishwasher isn't run? The container isn't hot. The other dishes aren't hot. You're not commingling foods. I mean, if your kid put a dairy fork in the meat drawer by mistake, would you conclude that all of your meat silverware was now traif, or that there was a problem with the drawer?

As to attire, I think you're confusing tziniut with cleanliness. A tank top isn't unsanitary; its un-tziniut. But if you feel more comfortable, tell her that you'd prefer it if she wore a tee shirt.

Re the cost of your baby's tee shirts, she saw that you bought a lot. Maybe she has grandkids, or is expecting a grandkid. Or nieces, nephews, friends kids, kids at her church. I'd just assume that she's looking for a good deal.

amother

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 12:05 pm
OP, is your baby a newborn? If nt, you don't need to worry so much about germs.

fiddle

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 12:44 pm
I think you're making a mountain out of a ....nothing???? you're making a big deal for no reason.

Nomad

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 12:50 pm
ok - it sounds like your nitpicking on things that are not really big deals for most people. is this a new babysitter? is this the first time your using a babysitter? I know with myself, the first time I had a babysitter I nitpicked on everything and I think it was just because in general I wasnt happy that someone else was taking care of my baby.

or, is there a big issue with this lady and instead of dealing with it - you are nitpicking on the smaller things?

chavamom

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 1:58 pm
amother wrote:

Your sponge is toast, but not your container and CERTAINLY not the dishwasher (ask your own shaila, of course). Honestly, this is the type of things that happen with household help. You seem to be looking for things to be annoyed by making it hard to tell what the real issue is. If this is the type of stuff that bugs you, you are never going to find someone you are happy with.

And btw - if someone asking you what something cost bothers you, don't ever move to Israel. LOL That is normal conversation there.

DefyGravity

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 2:01 pm
I don't see how there's an issue with the dishwasher. The item was just placed in there - it didn't even go through a cycle, is that correct?

Ruchel

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 2:15 pm
Cleaning ladies can always find work. If you expect her to dress a certain way or worse an uniform (!) she will dump you!! but maybe you'll be happier that way.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics