Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
How muh does a car cost in Israel?
1  2  Next

Ezrachar

Post Wed, Aug 05 2009, 11:16 pm
Approximately. I have a friend leaving Israel who is asking if I want to buy his car, and it seems AWFULLY expensive... but I don't know what to compare it to. Anyone? What did you buy your new/used cars for?

Thanks!

smiley:)

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 12:06 am
Cars are very expensive. I dont have one for that reason. But when I looked into getting one, cars that were about 8 yrs old (used) were going for 40,000 shekel (About $10,000)

slushiemom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 12:24 am
I dont really know what a used one should cost, we bought a Mazda 5 (small 7 seater) WITH aliyah rights and it was 125.000 Shekel. Yes, you can get an extremely fancy car for that amount in America! tax on cars here is 100%.

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 12:55 am
No, tax on cars here is only 97% (!).

Cars are expensive. 3 year old cars coming "off lease" often cost upward of 75,000NIS. Unlike in North America, cars do NOT depreciate almost 50% the minute you drive them off the lot. Also, private leasing is much less common. People tend to buy what they can afford and drive it until it's no longer drivable. By anyone. Which means resale values are much higher as well.

slushiemom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 1:05 am
Thanks for the correction Marion Smile

mommyofnineka

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 1:10 am
We bought a one year old Mazda 3 for 90,000 shekels. But once you buy a car, you also haveo keep in mind that insurance (b/c of the high theft rate) and gas are much more expensive than in the States. We spend around 2500 shekels a month just on those things and upkeep.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 1:42 am
Mazda 5 is considered an expensive car, more Israelis needing a family car today will buy a cheaper model. DS has a used mazda 3 (excellent car, he's had 2 and only got rid of the first because his wife totalled it). He paid 10,000 sh for it used and it gives him no trouble. People are too hung up on years. When I came on aliya it was totally normal for a family to have a car 20 years, sell it and have the new owner drive it 5 years and then sell it to a soldier or student for little more than the junk price who gets another 2-3 years out of it by maintaining it himself. Today the lease culture is setting in so people can have a new car every 3 years. There are cars that last and those that are not worth the money. White Subaru stations from 1986-90 are called settler's cars because they are they first car for so many young couples here in our area. DS and his best friend both have one.

The Hundai Getz is very popular, a comfortable drive but are too new to see if they hold up. Our area is hard on cars, people with money are more likely to by a hi lux, jeep or land rover if they have the money. Lots of dirt roads and driving straight up the mountain. And people here are also buying the getz. It is small, not for more than 2 older or 3 small children comfortably. They go new for less than 100,000 as well and have a good resale as well I think.

When my ex came he bought a Mitzubishi space wagon. He says its and excellent car and 7 seater but it has no resale market. It is not common here so parts have to be ordered. This is something that has to be considered when buying a car here. If you choose an unpopular car you may have trouble getting parts. Also the more expensive the car the more the garage will charge you for the same part.

Usually the Israeli kid gets a jalopy when he gets his license, trades up with money he's saved and some of his army grant, again after working awhile or getting married. Then according family size for frum or being more established. The ds with the Mazda is trading it reluctantly because they need a 7-8 seater as they are expecting their 4th. He is looking at an MVP. Regular family cars are insured for only driver +4.

DH was taught very different than me. They always bought new cars and had to call the garage to jump the battery and my father never owned a car that cost more than $200 until he was over 60 and he and my brothers did everything but put the test sticker on, using the garage only for parts.

The big expense of car ownership here is the gas. It pays to know how to do at least simple repairs yourself.

grin

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 1:58 am
I beg to differ - the real expense of having a car here is not so much the gas as the yearly test and insurance - thousands of NIS annually. if you can't fix even simple things yourself, of course repairs eat up a lot of cash.

Imaonwheels

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 2:22 am
I guess our insurance is cheaper because we drive older, less expensive cars and our repairs because we do everything ourselves. One ds bought a junk model of his car for a few hundred shekels and cannibalizes it every time he needs a part and has a friend who does that for a living. A new door cost one ds 150 sh because the next door neighbor took it off one of the many junked Subaru stations hanging around.

OTOH, for us to get to TA or Y-m is over an hour drive.

BeershevaBubby

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 2:30 am
Getz I believe is a gas guzzler.

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 2:35 am
Gotta say I love the Getz...I didn't realize it was so new! Trunk is bigger than it appears (it DOES hold a double stroller!), and lots of room for carseats. But they are (relatively) expensive...a new one goes for 90-105,000NIS. Resale value seems to be good; I've seen 5 or 6 year old ones (off lease, or "loaners") going for 45,000NIS. Also depends on the mileage. It's OK for gas mileage; I fill it once a week (35L tank; I don't like it when it's much less than 1/4 full) for about 200NIS, but I only commute with it, and not all that far usually either.

chanchy123

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 2:48 am
It depends on the car I guess
We bought our 2007 Mitzubishi Lancer about five months ago (so it was three years old at the time). From a car rental agency (which lowers the value of the car) and including a one-year warranty we paid 64,000 NIS, which is pretty good.
Our consideration was that it would be better to buy a newer car that would be more reliable and have less mechanical problems (especially with the one-year warranty) and this would eventually save us $$$ as well as being able to resell it withing two or three years and still be able to get something for it.
We know to many people who have bought cheap old cars, pay exorbitant amounts in repairs, have the car in and out of the shop and then end up running them down until they can only be sold for parts.

beilariva

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 2:52 am
Cars are a bit over-prized here but there is no market at the moment so you can push the prize down fairly well. You should be able to get a standard Japanese car that didn't do too much milage (not more than 100.000km) for around 25.000 shekels. (this is if the year keeps around 00-03)

PM me the details of the car and I'll give you an Israeli opinion of the prize :0)

shabri

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:09 am
beilariva wrote:
Cars are a bit over-prized here but there is no market at the moment so you can push the prize down fairly well. You should be able to get a standard Japanese car that didn't do too much milage (not more than 100.000km) for around 25.000 shekels. (this is if the year keeps around 00-03)

PM me the details of the car and I'll give you an Israeli opinion of the prize :0)

Where can you get one for such a price, I'd love to know

baba

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:30 am
I didnt read through all the posts, so sorry if I'm repeting what was said already, but it's very mekubal to go by a specific mechiron called levi yitschak.
Go to www.ynet.co.il On top it says winwin. Click on that. Then on the picture that says rechev, you click on mechiron levi yitschak. You call that mobile phone number and it gives you a code. You put the code in on the site and leave the phone call connected (this is how you are paying for the sevice). Then you can look for the exact car you want. As soon as you have what you want, either print the page or save via print screan. As soon as you disconnenct the phone it's gone.

Now this is the approximate price for a car in decent state. It could be that they recently installed some new things or that certain things are damaged beyond reasonable wear and tear. Then of course you adjust the price to that.

ss321

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 6:30 am
WOW! these prices are INSANE!!! (sorry israeli women, I am just kinda shocked).
is leasing that absurd too in israel? just curious.

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 7:33 am
ss321 wrote:

Um. weren't you the one arguing in another thread that you know the cost of things in israel and it isn't more expensive here, cars in particular?

Last edited by Inspired on Thu, Aug 06 2009, 7:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 7:55 am
Yes, leasing is just as expensive. When I looked into it just over a year ago (for the Getz, which is what I drive...a 4 door hatchback, with A/C, 1 airbag, no bells & whistles) I was looking at a 35,000NIS DOWNPAYMENT, and with that went a monthly payment of 2,100NIS. Plus insurance, plus gas, plus maintenance. If I could come up with a downpayment of 50,000NIS (basically, the cost of the car before taxes, or enough to cover all the taxes), then my monthly payment went down to about 1,500NIS.

ss321

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 8:34 am
Inspired wrote:
ss321 wrote:

Um. weren't you the one arguing in another thread that you know the cost of things in israel and it isn't more expensive here, cars in particular?

I made it clear in that thread that I am well aware that certain things are more expensive in Israel (gas for one, appliances) while other things (real estate in many areas/rent and food) are cheaper. it is a give and take and alot depends on your priorities.

I dont live there and am not thinking of moving there so please dont turn this into a flame war.

I was just curious how much it would cost to LEASE a car; being that I have never owned a car (we always lease), to me it was like comparing apples and oranges and I was curious about the leasing prices.

hmm marion. 10,000 down is like 2500 down which is reasonable, but 500 bucks a month for a hyundai (isnt that what a getz is) is really high! wow! I just saw a lexus ad in the paper last week - something like 2,999 down and 499 a month and I remember thinking THAT is expensive. and that is for a lexus!

mandksima

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 8:51 am
I assume most people who lease, do so through the companies they work for. Even then, my dh had to pay for it (it wasn't built into his contract like usual) and it cost about 3500 shekels a month (no downpayment) and taxes were around 1000 shekels which are planned to go up.

Anyway, we finally bought a car (after giving up dh's company car) with our rights. Didn't save us all that much but you can only do that with a new car. Cost a fortune considering we never paid more than $10,000 for a car in the States and also never bought a new car either. Basically cars are double the cost. If our rights weren't ending soon, we would have bought used. I just know most of our friends who bought from other friends and not through a dealer, have had to put in a lot of money just to keep it running. I really didn't want that as we live in an area where a reliable car is a must. I don't know how people drive around in clunkers in this area. I guess their emunah is stronger than mine.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions