Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions
Random and weird questions
1  2  Next

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 9:21 am
I'll start with this one, feel free to add yours.

Why is baking soda sold with a shaker top? Are their people who sprinkle baking soda? on what?

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 9:24 am
I never saw that... I thought it comes in little packets (I buy mine by weight at the shuk). Hmm... baking soda over rice?

AMMom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 9:40 am
Inspired wrote:

Why is baking soda sold with a shaker top? Are their people who sprinkle baking soda? on what?

I might have an answer to that. When DS vomited on his mattress, someone told me to sprinkle some baking soda on it. Of course at the time, I only had baking soda in a bag... would have been easier with a sprinkle top.

On the other hand, my question would be... why do they sell baking powder in little packets? It's annoying to save a packet after taking out just one or two teaspoons.

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 10:33 am
AMMom wrote:
Inspired wrote:

I might have an answer to that. When DS vomited on his mattress, someone told me to sprinkle some baking soda on it. Of course at the time, I only had baking soda in a bag... would have been easier with a sprinkle top.
Good point. Do you think that's it?? LOL

Quote:
On the other hand, my question would be... why do they sell baking powder in little packets? It's annoying to save a packet after taking out just one or two teaspoons.

Another good one! Very Happy Very Happy
A packet is 2 tsp, btw.

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 10:34 am
Tamiri Maya makes it in the same containers as the spices. Other brands sell it in packets of I think 100 -200 grams, like avkat sukar.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 10:38 am
Inspired wrote:
Tamiri Maya makes it in the same containers as the spices. Other brands sell it in packets of I think 100 -200 grams, like avkat sukar.
There's your answer: Maya orders packaging in bulk and puts whatever into the packaging. Today cinnamon, tomorrow baking soda. It's probably easier than getting a machine for little packets, and after all - YOU the consumer absorb the cost of the packaging!

ChossidMom

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 11:40 am
I sprinkle baking soda on the sponge or in a basin of water when I clean the fridge. It neutralizes odors.

Inspired

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 11:47 am
tamiri, I just think the sprinkle thing is a waste. it could be in the same container with a plain cap. I hate the Maya lids anyway, with most spices the holes get clogged and then the lid won't close. I like the twisting ones.

Seraph

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 2:21 pm
AMMom wrote:
Inspired wrote:

Because generally a packet is all you need for a recipe, so you don't have to worry about open packages.

bnm

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 3:02 pm
Why are cell phone plans/contracts so complicated you need to be a lawyer not to get scammed?

ss321

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:38 pm
how about can someone please explain to me why milk in israel is sold in BAGS???? what IS the poin? isnt it easier to pu a carton in a fridge? and if it is a health/natual thing, isnt cardboard better than plastic? always wondered that one.

Tamiri

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:40 pm
Money. It's waaaaay cheaper to sell the milk in bags. Takes up less space in the landfill as well.

Flowerpot

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:41 pm
one thing I cant stand in isreal is milk in a bag can you explain that.

lilacdreams

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:42 pm
plus less trees are killed Smile

Flowerpot

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:43 pm
oops I see it was asked and answered but I still dont get it.

Marion

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:54 pm
Yes, but [plastic] stays in the landfill longer...carton is biodegradable.

Why do they sell avkat sucar ("powdered" sugar...which isn't really so powdered) in 200g bags?????? (I finally found the supplier & now can buy it by the 10kg bag.) Sugar in only 1kg bags? Same with flour? Any form of baking supply in mini-amounts?

ora_43

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:55 pm
bnm wrote:
Why are cell phone plans/contracts so complicated you need to be a lawyer not to get scammed?

Because that way it's easier to scam people.

No offense, but that was an easy one Very Happy .

ora_43

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 4:58 pm
I like the bags of milk. They freeze well and leak less. Once you get your nifty milk holder, they are just as easy to keep in the fridge.

But like Tamiri said, the reason for it is simple - cost.

Tefila

Post Thu, Aug 06 2009, 11:14 pm
Oy where should I start.

Why do peanuts and peanut butter contain a warning 'may contain traces of milk or nuts' Rolling Eyes

Why is there a hechsher on laundry detergent? Confused

Why does printing paper that is labeled bio degradable cost more then other printing paper, Arn't all ALL hundred percent paper products bio degradable Drunken Smile

Marion

Post Fri, Aug 07 2009, 1:16 am
ora_43 wrote:
I like the bags of milk. They freeze well and leak less. Once you get your nifty milk holder, they are just as easy to keep in the fridge.

But like Tamiri said, the reason for it is simple - cost.

They also spill more, go bad faster, and, as already mentioned, are not biodegradable.
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Inquiries & Offers -> Israel related Inquiries & Aliyah Questions