Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Yom Tov / Holidays -> Pesach
How to kasher the oven???

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 10:26 pm
we have an oven with no self cleaner. how would we kasher it for pesach?
anyone?

soraya

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 11:03 pm
I would prefer that you ask your local orthodox rabbi, rather than rely on the psak that we recieved, but I will tell you. Not every posek says that the oven can be kashered for pesach.

Clean out your over really, really well. Our posek recommended calling a cleaning service and having them come and do it. Make sure that you wait 24 hours from the last time you use the oven until you kasher it. Then turn it on to the highest temperature for one hour. It's best to replace the racks in the stove- get ones for pesach.

shayna82

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 11:38 pm
of cource im asking a rav, just wanted to hear what others have done in the past.

nicole81

Post Thu, Mar 30 2006, 11:55 pm
we clean out the oven really really well, like with easy off. we blow torch the racks and put the oven on the highest for at least an hour. dh then blow torches the inside of the oven too for good measure, but the rav said this wasn't necessary.

Meema2Kids

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 5:48 am
We kasher oven as above, last year I coverd the racks with foil but this year will try to kasher them in my mom's self cleaning oven.

happyone

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 8:30 am
Last year I treated myself to a new oven. It was a really great investment. I took something inexpensive, as it's only used one week a year.

chocolate moose

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 9:38 am
By us, it sits for 24 hours and is cleaned well. Or maybe it's teh opposite, I forget.

Anyway, it's easy off'd and cleaned out. kashered with the stove grates in it, that is cranked up to the highest heat that it was ever used for , for 40 minutes.

soraya

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 11:15 am
nicole81 wrote:
we clean out the oven really really well, like with easy off. we blow torch the racks and put the oven on the highest for at least an hour. dh then blow torches the inside of the oven too for good measure, but the rav said this wasn't necessary.

wow! a blow torch! you guys mean business Wink

Shayna, I hope I didn't sound condescending. please forgive me. also, you might want to consider just buying a large toaster oven for pesach. That's what we did in E"Y, as minhag yeushalayim is to NOT kasher the oven, unless its self cleaning. We do that, now that we live here, just because it's a lot easier. We have something like this:
http://www.thebuzzelectronics......c.htm

big enough to make a turkey in it! you can shop around online for a good price on on, or check out walmart.

Also, in terms of the kashrus, I think SaraG is right, let it sit for 24 hours, then clean it, then kasher it. That's a good idea to bring the racks to someone with a self-cleaning oven.

shayna82

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 11:42 am
yeah that was the first idea, go get a convection oven. we have one for milchik for regular, its great. I just cant imagine cooking and reheating everythign in this tiny oven. so, thats why I want to use the regular oven, no matter how much work is involved.

thanks!!!

cindy324

Post Fri, Mar 31 2006, 4:15 pm
Anyone ever had one of those awful oven inserts? They're made from thin metal and you put it into the oven and put the food inside of the insert? Yuck, I hated them I had it for years until we moved and got a brand new range with a selfcleaning oven. I used to have burn marks all over my hands on pesach from it.

chocolate moose

Post Sat, Apr 01 2006, 7:16 pm
we're not into much of the covering thing.....

our fridge has and will quit working, if we do.....

and if our oven is kashered, we don't have to shove a box in there. and I don't want to!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics