Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Chinuch, Education & Schooling
DD in seminary overseas

amother

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 8:55 pm
How do I make DD feel cherished and unforgotten so far away from home? Other than phone calls and emails, has anyone thought of creative ways to keep in touch when children are so far away?? Looking to create creative way to keep in touch and stay close. TIA

amother

Post Mon, Aug 17 2009, 9:10 pm
It's hard to be far...right now we are just busy getting DD ready and looking for the best cell phone plan!
(2nd amother with DD going to sem)

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 1:18 am
Care packages?

When I was in grad school overseas I really appreciated that.

My mom would send me fuzzy socks, vitamins, and chocolate (enough to share with the girls I was living with).

ClaRivka

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 1:22 am
definately care packages!

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 6:40 am
Those idea sound great!I guess some kind of care package it is. She happens to be in Australia not Israel. Cozy socks, vitamins and the like sound great! Keep the ideas coming!

Mrs Bissli

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 7:34 am
How about a hand-written letter or a postcard? A nice change from emails.
I like care packages.
Can you visit her during holiday?

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 8:25 am
Does she need to be so far??

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:11 am
Well yeah, presumably that's the seminary that's a good fit for her. It's really important to find the right one -- like the right college. You can't just go to any one.

PinkFridge

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:40 am
Ah, Australia. Had it been E"Y I would have told you
- you're bound to find people going all the time who can take a little something
- don't work too hard on this, let her appreciate that you could pull this off; let phone calls and letters, etc. do most of the job.

But this is a different story.
Hope she's having a productive and enjoyable (and adventurous?) year. She'll still be thanking you for this amazing opportunity.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:48 am
sequoia wrote:
Well yeah, presumably that's the seminary that's a good fit for her. It's really important to find the right one -- like the right college. You can't just go to any one.

Many send to the local or closest university/seminary. You're there to learn, not make your life... and it's more important to still live at home imho...

sequoia

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 9:54 am
Well, Ruchel, there's a cultural difference right there Very Happy My friends and family in Russia and Ukraine are the same way -- go to the university in their town and live at home. On the other hand, most Americans go away for college -- sometimes to the opposite coast! I was considered strange because I stayed in NY (although I lived in the dorm). Anyway, I wouldn't dream of living at home after 17, but I know it's a different custom in Europe.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 10:06 am
In the previous generation many left home after 18. Now there are some who stay until 30 ore more!! lol

This is for the non jews and the non frum. The frum generally live at home until marriage, although I do know some older singles with a job living alone, with a room mate or at other relatives if they went to a bigger community to find a shidduch...

catonmylap

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 11:22 am
Ruchel wrote:
sequoia wrote:

Many send to the local or closest university/seminary. You're there to learn, not make your life... and it's more important to still live at home imho...

You obviously didn't spend a year of seminary in Israel.

My year totally shaped who I am (and the fact that I live in Israel now). I don't think there were any local choices at the time, and even ones up to 4 hours away from home would not have been the same haskafa. (And I went to seminary around 15 years ago, so to say it shaped me at this point still is quite significant).

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 11:36 am
Quote:
You obviously didn't spend a year of seminary in Israel.

No, it's not really on the radar in my circles (girls either go to uni, or go to a close sem, with some going away but still in France, and a couple go to neighbouring countries). I also don't think I would have found a fitting sem in Israel.

Rochelly

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 11:55 am
I was in Israel for two years and the fallowing are some of the things that made me feel really special!

my mother put notes in my suitcase so I found them when I unpacked!

letters and packages! even if just a little envelope with a short note and a candy bar

pictures of family simachas and events (it feels lonely when u miss family simchas... and girls love to hang pictures on the wall near theri bed in sem)

mishloach manos

texts and emails

Chayalle

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 12:22 pm
Quote:
and it's more important to still live at home imho...

No offense, but that's what I call a cookie-cutter comment. There are some people for whom living at home is not the best option...and a year away can make a difference for life. And some for whom being at home is really the best option. You have to know your child and your child has to know herself....

BTW when I was in sem in Israel (about 15 years ago) there were two girls there from Paris...so some from France do go away overseas.

Ruchel

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 12:25 pm
Quote:
No offense, but that's what I call a cookie-cutter comment. There are some people for whom living at home is not the best option...and a year away can make a difference for life. And some for whom being at home is really the best option. You have to know your child and your child has to know herself....

I think typical sem girls are too young to be away so long.

Quote:
BTW when I was in sem in Israel (about 15 years ago) there were two girls there from Paris...so some from France do go away overseas.

Of course! there are whole circles where it's highly praised to go one or two years in Israel. Or in Gateshead. Even in YU! Just, not mine/most people I know.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 12:27 pm
I am not saying not to send packages. But think about what you are sending , to where & with who. Your child now has to connect with the people bringing the package, not always so easy, & travel to get the package. Some times its not worth it.

pacifier

Post Tue, Aug 18 2009, 1:22 pm
One of my friends in Seminary would write a letter to her mother once a week and get a letter from her mother one a week. In that letter, my friend would always find some money, so it was like getting a letter and a care package!
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics