Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Infants
Shopping for a baby crib
1  2  Next

soonamommy

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 7:53 pm
We've been looking for a baby crib for some time. I'm getting more desperate as the baby gets bigger k'h because she's in my bed and I'm scared she'll run out of room soon. Does anyone have any pointers for me? What to look for and what brands are recommended? I'm confused about:
1. having a side that drops, since they seem to make a lot of noise and leave little spaces where little fingers might get pinched, and don't seem as sturdy, over-all
2. how many levels are really necessary for the mattress; it seems most people only use two
3. whether bumpers and blankets are a necessity or if they really are a safety hazzard
4. if we really need to spend more than $300 on the crib besides the mattress to make sure we are getting something that will last

Please post any pointers you have from your own crib shopping; any info is very much appreciated (even if not addressing these points). Thanks!

Tefila

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:07 pm
Get a crib that is free from trimmings such as poles for canopys etc since they pose a danger hazard as far as getting caught and choking. If I were you I would invest in a full size crib good quality the real stuff even if it means buying second hand then buying newer stuff but not so good quality.

Though bumpers and crib skirts are nice and picturesque they are for from practical Exclamation and a sleeping infant is better off without those bumpers Exclamation besides you have to constantly wash them. And as they grow could be used as a climbing feature. I would invest in crib and crib toys buy mattress aways new good quality, it's worth the price in the long run trust me Wink

Mama Bear

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:11 pm
I bought the breathble bumper from target, because my baby both puts his hands between the slats and presses his face up against the bumper, so the mesh bumper was the best thing to go with. We have the Simmons crib; it was $450.00. We put it on the 2nd level as he can't even sit up yet.

MommyLuv

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 8:29 pm
we're very happy wth our crib from babies r us...was about 230. I dont find the need to spend much more than that if all u want is safety and ease of use, beware of places that rip u off. mine converts into a toddler bed (u take off the rail on one side so the toddler can come in and out herself). some more expensive ones convert into a real bed, twin size, that may be helpful if u will use it in a few years. have fun shopping!!

btw, the side that drops is very useful and necessary when u are carrying a sleeping baby and u want to lower her into the crib. it doesnt pose a hazard for fingers at all. it lifts right back up, noiselessly, so your older baby cant climb out when he wakes up.

I did a lot of research b/4 we got ours and it seems like most cribs arwe pretty similar in standards of safety and convenience...

ButterflyGarden

Post Mon, Apr 03 2006, 9:48 pm
This is the crib we bought (actually it was a gift from my grandfather). We are very happy with it. It's solidly built and looks amazing. It comes in 3 colors and grows with the baby.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obi.....=baby

red sea

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:30 am
The side dropping I never used, but 2 levels are real important, one high up for when they are real small, and one real low for when they can stand,

bumpers and blankets are not recommended these days, they are suppose to be a suffocation hazard, just a sheet and thin blanket, this is what I've heard, but I did use a bumper and a thin baby blanket

after using a cheaper crib and a second hand real expensive crib, I would rather buy a second hand crib off someone else, many people (esp not frum) have one kid then sell the crib when they're done with it and its still in brand new condition.

Last edited by red sea on Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:56 am; edited 1 time in total

chocolate moose

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:36 am
Ours was from Sears, only $100 at that time, and very sturdy, but it was hard to put together and we had to hire someone each time we needed to move it.

shoy18

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 6:44 am
I have a gorgeous slay crib by legacy, and a good firm mattress. Dont get a soft mattress it isnt safe for the baby, and bumper is a must if you dont want your kid to put his fingers through the slats or have his foot hanging out of the crib in the morning!!!

happymom

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 7:01 am
Quote:
Though bumpers and crib skirts are nice and picturesque they are for from practical and a sleeping infant is better off without those bumpers

really? why not? IF I didn have a bumper my baby would always bump her head because she sometimes stands up in middle of the night and then plops right down... the bumper keeps her from hurting herself. so for me, its very practical.

happyone

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 7:33 am
Ragazzi has a great line of cribs. Sturdy, solid, great construction, and gorgeous. I have mine about ten years and am still thrilled with it. It's in brand new condition still, and grows with the child. They are pricey though.

ektsm

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 7:53 am
Try the classified or craigslist. You can get a great used crib for a cheap price. ALl you have to do afterward is buy a new mattress and those can be farly cheap/11

happymom

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 11:41 am
but its still importnat for the matress to be a good and firm one.

Tovah

Post Tue, Apr 04 2006, 12:16 pm
I don't think any brand individual makes a diff as long as it's sturdy with a firm mattress. I for one like good quality and bought solid wood(so too last for all our children). we shoped around for great deals.

soonamommy

Post Sun, Apr 30 2006, 1:52 pm
Still searching! Has anyone heard of the Mondi Baby crib? Also, which mattresses would you recommend?

raizy

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 6:52 pm
any solid crib would do. but get a good strong matteress . even if u have to change for each kid. a crib is only as good if no kid jump in it and u dont move around to much . also after a few kids the crib wont be safe anymore anyways. think of all the jumping etc. also some pple end up with two full size crib . like yours truely.

and my sister got a crib that was over 1000 dollars us and it didnt last even the first kid. the bottom drawer gets stuck very easily . so it does not mean that an expensive crib will last longer then a normal crib from toys r us.or sears.

mumsy23

Post Tue, May 02 2006, 7:50 pm
Sounds liek your baby is getting older, and at some point they do like a blanket. THey are like you and me - do you feel comfy in a totaly bare bed?? My 16 months old cannot go to sleep without the comfort of her blanky.

raizy

Post Sat, May 06 2006, 10:57 pm
I dont know what the doc will think of next . no blankets etc. my kids all sleep with a little blanket and the blanket grows with them as they get older. do u like to sleep with no pillow and no cover.??like the person in front of me wrote.

Shimmysmom

Post Thu, May 11 2006, 12:17 pm
happyone wrote:
Ragazzi has a great line of cribs. Sturdy, solid, great construction, and gorgeous. I have mine about ten years and am still thrilled with it. It's in brand new condition still, and grows with the child. They are pricey though.

I have one too and I love it. unfortunately though as of very recently they stopped manufacturing

soonamommy

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 10:35 am
Yey! We went and bought one! Just wanted to thank you all for your advice...was very, very helpful!

supermom

Post Mon, May 15 2006, 11:17 am
RivkaBatya wrote:
]http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B0007LRRS0/qid=1144125724/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/002-9472779-7823206?v=glance&s=baby[/url]

This is almost similiar to the one that we bought five years ago for our daughter in baby r' us. We spent with the mattress included and bedding 1000 dollars. We love it it is sturdy durable and with my kids jumping in and out of it constantly it is still holding up with number four and hopefully many more to come. We figured with my husband being a jumpy baby, we should get a crib that won't move and inch that means paying more for the crib.

Congrads on getting a crib which one did you get at the end?
Page 1 of 2 1  2  Next Recent Topics