Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Household Management -> Organizing
Ack - my DH is a hoarder! What to do about scary 2nd bdrm?

amother

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 1:04 pm
I love my DH, but he's a hoarder. He is getting better than he used to be, though. We just moved to a new pt with 2 bedrooms, and so far the house looks OK -- except for the 2nd bedroom. It is filled with boxes, clothes, books, and stuff that he wants to sell online but has not gotten around to listing it. Not quite to the ceiling yet, but piles of stuff -- you can't even walk in hardly.

We're having family for RH, and I want to make the 2nd bedroom nice so that someone can sleep in it. But right now you can barely walk into it! Seriously, it is scary. Not dirty, just tons of clutter -- mostly books. DH says he can help me clean it, but not until after the holidays due to work. So that doesn't help. How can I tackle this bedroom? Every time I go in there for something, I get overwhelmed and have to leave.

NotInNJMommy

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 1:08 pm
One solution: rent out some storage space, get shleppers to put the stuff there. Send DH the bill every month. Then, he can decide whether it's worth paying to store his stuff or just get rid of it.

amother

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 1:11 pm
Oh, but I am the breadwinner. And we live in NYC. Big money. I was thinking of getting a bunch of shelves and putting the books along the wall, but just entering the room is overwhelming... I guess I have to start small.

faigie

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 6:13 pm
oh man............ get heavy duty garbage bags and dump the stuff......... one small section at a time.

acccdac

Post Tue, Aug 25 2009, 6:37 pm
1) tell him he has till 3 days before RH to sell the stuff on ebay (I did read you said he wont touch it till after yom tov

2) you sell it all on ebay like he wants

3) display it, like you said.

I understand that to him those boxes mean money.....but to you those boxes mean insanity, and money is not the solution to everything. Sometimes clarity is the solution. I know extra money will help you guys out (it will help anyone out) but your feelings of happiness towards your new place, your feelings of needing things clean are worth something also.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics