Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins
Incredibly moist honey cake recipe
  Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next

tzatza

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 9:31 am
Pinktichel, technical question: once it is baked and fully coole, how do you freeze ( in cover in foil) and what is the best way to defrost.

TIA

pinktichel

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:43 am
I definitely freeze in ziplocs and defrost it in the bag (I think... not really sure what I do).

tzatza

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:55 am
u freeze it out of the pan?

NotInNJMommy

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:11 am
I've been freezing in ziplocs (I use disposable pans), and thawing at room temp. Sometimes in bag, sometimes out. Seems fine to me.

pinktichel

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:20 am
tzatza wrote:
u freeze it out of the pan?

I guess I should have been more clear.

When I bake in disposable pans, I put the whole pan, when cooled, into a ziploc/challah bag to freeze.
To defrost, I leave it in the pan, in the bag, and let it thaw on the counter.

When I bake in real pans (such as my honey cakes that I made in real loaf pans) I wrap them in parchment paper, foil and then in a ziploc. Defrost out of paper and foil but in the bag.

Shendellah

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:32 am
Thank you for the recipe... if I'm planning to make it on Wednesday for Shabbos, do you think it will stay fresh and moist?!

tzatza

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:43 am
My plan is to bake it tonight, freeze and serve on Friday night.

Shendellah

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:53 am
Hmmm... I wonder if it will be better to prepare it tomorrow night and freeze it instead of making it on Wednesday. (I wont be able to make it tonight bc its my brother's bday)

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:29 pm
Thanks pinktichel for this easy no-mixer, one bowl recipe!
Had to put it in the freezer ASAP after tasting, or else there would have been no cake left for R"H. It came out delishes!
[I made 2 small (2 lb. each) loaf pans from one recipe.]

Shimmysmom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 10:58 pm
I really want to try this tomorow in a 9x13. can anyone out there who has made it tell me appx how long it took to bake? im afraid of over baking, at what point should I start checking to see if its done?

ra_mom

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:45 pm
Shimmysmom wrote:
I really want to try this tomorow in a 9x13. can anyone out there who has made it tell me appx how long it took to bake? im afraid of over baking, at what point should I start checking to see if its done?

Approximately 40 minutes on 350, then lowered to 325 for another 20 minutes (as honey cakes can fall.)
Total one hour approximately. Stick in a toothpick after 50 minutes to test.

sweet

Post Mon, Sep 14 2009, 11:51 pm
thanks for the recipe, I made it and and it came out great but a little heavy.
Anyone else had that?

devy88

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:00 am
I made it in two loaf pans insted of a 9 x 13. I had major cracking, in fact-it kinda looked like a volcano Rolling Eyes . can anyone tel me why?

tzatza

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:06 am
Made it last night (took about 50 min at 350 in my oven). Looks very pretty and batter tasted great. I didn't taste the cake: just cooled it and put in the freezer.

tzatza

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:07 am
devy88 wrote:
I made it in two loaf pans insted of a 9 x 13. I had major cracking, in fact-it kinda looked like a volcano Rolling Eyes . can anyone tel me why?

I had the same, but not too much. I am not worried about it.

chanchy123

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:13 am
OK, so I also made this last night, in two loaf pans, I cooled them over night and froze this morning. It took more than I expected for them to finish baking (not so sure how long though, I didn't keep track).
They smelled very honey-ish. I don't really like honey or honey cake but hope DH and guests like them.

Sherri

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:37 am
tzatza wrote:
devy88 wrote:

Thought I was the only one.

pinktichel

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 10:43 am
Sherri wrote:
tzatza wrote:
devy88 wrote:

Thought I was the only one.

I noticed, that when I filled the pans more than halfway, they split on top. When I started filling them less, they came out perfect.

I suggest, for next time, that ppl only fill halfway and use leftover batter to make a few cupcakes.
I apologize for forgetting to post that tip when I made them last week.

sunny90

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 11:44 am
do you think it would come out good if I substituted applesauce for 1/2 the oil and/or strong tea for the coffee?

ra_mom

Post Tue, Sep 15 2009, 12:28 pm
I hear that honey cake comes out much better in flat pans, with low batter.
Now I know for next time.
The loaves came out wonderfully delishes. But I will use 8x8 cake pans next time IY"H.
Thanks again for the recipe pink! It's a keeper!
Page 3 of 11   Previous  1  2  3  4 9  10  11  Next Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Recipe Collection -> Cakes, Cookies, and Muffins