Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Working Women
When you owe money for services and have none- how to pay!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 9:44 pm
This thread is inspired by the thread about amother's job oweing her money and by my own situation.
My husbands boss owes him a few thousand and my own customers often make me chase them for money.

Once a customer told me that the organization she runs is in the negative. There is no money in the bank.
The last payment she gave me out of her own pocket but I really had to chase her for it.

My question is why do I have to chase her? Why did she have to tell me even that it came from her pocket?
is it supposed to make me feel bad for insisting on getting paid?
The way I see it is like this: If you want to ask me for tzedoka that's one thing, but by not paying me, the money is coming from my pocket. You can either supply it from your own pocket or get a sponsor, but not paying for something is not the way.
After all YOU came to me for work, YOU are the one I'm dealing with so YOU have to pay regardless of where the $$$ comes from

I am already committed to certain tzedokas and it should be my choice if I want to commit to more.
At this point if I do commit to more I'll pretty much be a tzedoka case myself!
The other thing is maybe you shouldn't be getting professional services if you don't have the money to pay for it.
Likewise if a boss doesn't have the money to pay his client, let HIM live on a credit card and pay his workers the money. Why should they be forced to go into debt when they are working hard and are owed what they deserve.
Please note, this thread is not being addressed to individuals who are struggling to pay off their own private debts. That's a whole other topic. It's addressing bosses and customers.
Some professional services are not as crucial as your electricity and water and food bills and clothes on your back.
Some things if you don't have the money- do without!
I put this in the working women section because I didn't know where else.

Mini Cookie

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 10:57 pm
You gotta toughen up a bit! Customers have to pay it isn't their business how you deal with your tzedokos. If businesses would run solely on chesed & never taking $$ for services or goods, they would never hold up. You got to find the balance, the middle way!

amother

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 10:59 pm
Mollys Mama wrote:
You gotta toughen up a bit! Customers have to pay it isn't their business how you deal with your tzedokos. If businesses would run solely on chesed & never taking $$ for services or goods, they would never hold up. You got to find the balance, the middle way!
what do you mean by toughening up?
Do I come to their door with a sledge hammer saying "pay up - or else!"?

I ring, I send emails again and again!
I can't afford hiring a debt collecting company, what's left to do?

newToNeighborhood

Post Mon, Aug 31 2009, 11:07 pm
can't they pay you before you provide the service? or at least pay half? this way at least you'd have some $ before your hard work.

amother

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:00 am
For large jobs I can charge a deposit but for small $100 - $200 jobs it's something of a turn off to ask for money in advance in this line of work. I did think about it but I realized if it were I, I'd be turned off.

For this sort of thing, you get the service and then you pay

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:06 am
That's why I started accepting credit cards. I tell the clients "Look, pay me with your card, then work out an arrangement with your card company. I provided the service in a timely manner, not in little puzzle pieces over an 18 month span. I get paid now, you pay your card company at leisure, or not. Your choice"

amother

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:09 am
I was actually considering doing that shaklee mom but most of these clients don't even ask me if I take credit card. Could be they don't have one.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 12:12 am
They all have one, let them use their brothers, okay? And besides, you need to be upfront and say "How will you be paying today, Visa? American Express? Card number please? Learn the language.

e1234

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 2:01 am
I have the same problem

I now ask for 30% upfront but it's still not everything.
I am tempted to take credit cards if it would really solve that issue.

ShakleeMom

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 9:44 am
e1234 it cost me free setup, $10 a month, plus 2.19% per swipe. No big deal compared to not getting paid. I can't stress this enough, it tripled my pay rate!

greenfire

Post Tue, Sep 01 2009, 9:52 am
they shouldn't make you feel like a tzedaka case ... they're paying you for services rendered ... I would definitely start taking 1/2 up front and the other half the day you're finished ...
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics