Home
    Private Messages   Advanced Search   Rules   New User Guide   FAQ   Advertise   Contact Us  
Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children
Is she loosing it?

amother

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 4:32 pm
my friend has two teenage sons who drive
she sits by her scanner all night to see if they got into a crash
she wants to be first at the hospital -is she loosing it>?
what should I tell her?is this normal? Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes

BlumaG

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 5:07 pm
sounds a little much but hten again my kids dangeri s climbing hte stairs etc... LOL
I know my mum freaked when I drove with her but listening to c if htey had an accident sounds alittle over hte top.

ny21

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 5:11 pm
thanks for your response ! Wink

Tefila

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 8:24 pm
Quote:
she sits by her scanner all night to see if they got into a crash
she wants to be first at the hospital -is she loosing it>?
what should I tell her?is this normal?

What defines normal? Who defines normal? Wink don't we all have phobias and act upon them Twisted Evil or is it only a select few like me incl embarrassed

ny21

Post Thu, Apr 06 2006, 8:34 pm
thanks for writing ! LOL

chen

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 2:57 pm
sounds a wee bit obsessive, but then, how long have her boys been driving? three weeks or three years?

Umm, in our house a scanner is a device that sends print images to a computer. what is it in your friend's house?

brooklyn

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 3:43 pm
A CB scanner searches the airwaves for radio frequencies like police walkie talkies and fire and EMS. It can also pick up cordless phones and baby monitors if in close range and on the right frequency.

amother

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 10:10 pm
is this really a "friend" or you listening to the scanner????!!!

southernbubby

Post Tue, Apr 25 2006, 10:33 pm
My "baby boy" got his license before Pesach. I am sure that some neighbors felt that we had rocks in our heads but I was not driving yet and he took himself to minyon, the market, babysitting for my grandchildren, the cleaners, and to help set up the Russian seder. I kept busy and also prayed. I figured that as long as his driving involved a mitzvah, he was safe. He also treated a handicapped teenaged boy to a trip to the convenience store.
I still feel that I don't want him to go on the freeway by himself for awhile. If the mother has agreed to the license, she needs to trust him. I asked a rabbi how to trust teenage drivers and he said that if you trained them until you are sure that they are experienced, you must trust them. He said that it is not a good thing for a Jew to be a worrier.

chen

Post Wed, Apr 26 2006, 12:06 pm
brooklyn wrote:
A CB scanner searches the airwaves for radio frequencies like police walkie talkies and fire and EMS. It can also pick up cordless phones and baby monitors if in close range and on the right frequency.

Ah. thank you. no wonder I never liked cordless phones or baby monitors.

you mean this woman turns on this device every time her sons take the car, and sits listening to the dispatches in case she might pick up the police or EMS talking about her kids???? IMO, this woman has a problem, but her sons' driving is not it. worrying--sure, every parent worries when new drivers go solo. But to sit scanning the airwaves? Ah-ah. Not normal.

Unless she has good cause for such worry. Has she reason to believe (as opposed to an abnormal, baseless fear) that her sons are drinking, dealing or doing drugs, drag racing or engaging in other unsafe and illegal acts while driving? If yes, she has no business allowing them to use the car at all. Again she has a problem--and again the boys' actual driving is not the issue.
Page 1 of 1 Recent Topics

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Forum -> Parenting our children -> Teenagers and Older children